Linux server HDD setup ideas...

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
hi lads,

so I am planning to rework a Linux server in my little home domain. It's running a couple (3) of VMs (Win2k3 domain controller, Webserver and a development environment) full time and also serving files via SAMBA.

Right now, I think my disk/ partition layout is utter garbage. I have two disks a 750GB and a 500GB drive. The 750GB drive has a small boot partition and a larger (120GB) partition for the Linux install, home dirs and the VMs. Then it has a 500GB partition mirrored to the other drive that is hosting the shared files (I still need more room).

Since I am pretty sure that I need to get another disk or two in order to satisfy my storage needs in terms of volume, I am thinking about how to reorganize the layout in order to maximize performance. I have a couple of Laptop drives (4200rpm) lying around, would it make sense to dedicate these to hosting the VMs? Should the VMs get their own disk(s)? I am planning a RAID-5 array for my samba shared directories, but I think that it may be a bad idea to host the VMs on that due to the poor random read/ write performance. Additionally, I believe that my `host OS' should be on either a RAID-1 or plain partition/ volume.

Input and Ideas are appreciated.

beyond my expertise but
google -- groups (groups. google.com )
just put in
www tmp var freebsd partition sizes
and you can pick-and-choose from 500 links
omit freebsd from the list
and it brought up 1500 + links
some of those undoubtedly would have fstab's which
would be helpful

Back