Lionheart The King's Crusade $10 this weekend at Steam

Will you be back later to let us know if you're one of the lucky few who can play past the first mission, which still crashes for the majority of people even after multiple patches?

Okay, since you seem so determined to derail this thread by looking at a list of review scores for this title, and then going straight to the bottom and selecting the lowest score, then I guess it's my duty to provide alternative links.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3707/Lionheart-Kings-Crusade-Review.htm

http://pc.gamezone.com/reviews/item/lionheart_kings_crusade_review/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/lionheartkingscrusade/review.html

By the way, I can't count the number of times I've linked to IGN, as you did here, only to be dismissed by practically half the forum for doing so. IGN, I've repeatedly been told, is not a reliable site. I don't actually feel that way myself, but since you're only going to provide one link...

So can you get past the first mission or not? It seems like you're the one who didn't research this game much. I almost wasted $9 because of your irresponsibility in recommending it.

So can you get past the first mission or not? It seems like you're the one who didn't research this game much. I almost wasted $9 because of your irresponsibility in recommending it.

Well, gosh, anonmoniker, I just linked to three reviews in which the reviewers clearly didn't mention this bug which apparently doesn't allow one to play the game.

Clearly, each of those reviewers played and finished the game.

And before you go directly to the quotation in the Gamespot article in which bugs are mentioned, I'll cut you off and provide THE ENTIRE quotation, as I can only guess that you would have snipped it off to make the comment look worse than it really is.

From Gamespot:

"Only one serious issue here gets in the way of all the crusading fun--a crash bug that takes down your armies even more effectively than Richard or Saladin. We experienced a few abrupt crashes to the desktop in the deployment stage right before battles. These didn't happen often enough to warrant calling the game unstable, but they were enough of an annoyance to make everything seem a little bit rickety. Even with this issue, however, Lionheart: Kings' Crusade is a smart RTS with a lot going for it. The tight focus on the battlefield and the RPG elements that force you to care about your troops really draw you into the action and keep you fighting."

But seriously, what's with the campaign of hatred here?

You provide a link to the lowest review score for this title, but you ignore all other reviews.

You provide false evidence of a game breaking bug, and then basically lie that the 'majority of people' experienced it, which clearly they did not.

Where's the hostility coming from? I have to ask this question: Are you angry about the game, or are you angry with me personally? Did I write something in another thread that angered you, and are you now carrying that anger into this thread because I was the person who created it. I don't get it?

False evidence? Go look at any forum for this game and see that almost every topic is about crashing. You're one of those people who feels the need to defend garbage just to be contrarian instead of just apologizing for recommending a broken game.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?486-The-Kings-Crusade

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1058

Do I need to post excerpts to embarrass you further? The game is fixed for a few, broken for most. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this thread in particular:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674943

Many people with problems even after the newest patch, which comes four months after release. Yet somehow they found the time to make some DLC for the game. King Arthur was like that too. They started pumping out DLC before all the bugs were fixed.

Even two of the three "favorable" reviews you linked mention crashes, and the third is a very short review from a site nobody has even heard of. More importantly though, you're still ducking the question: Did you buy this game and successfully complete the first level the first time without crashes? FRAPS or gtfo.

I went to the Steam forum when I saw it go on sale. Then quickly went on my way when a large number of people couldn't get pass the first mission and second for some other people. People had to use cheats to skip the missions.

I really enjoyed King Arthur and this game looks neat, but there are way too many bad things out there from users just for the bugginess to to go near it.

Did you buy this game and successfully complete the first level the first time without crashes?[/B] FRAPS or gtfo.

Yes I did.

I'm playing it right now as we speak. Seems pretty stable to me. I spent 50 hours on King Arthur and this is pretty much more of that, except this takes place in the middle east without any of that fantasy stuff.

Game ending bug? Really? Where? Nope, sorry to disappoint you. The game works just fine for me.

Also, LOL at the link you provided to the official forum.

Wow, one thread with an entire two pages devoted to a crash bug. There must have been no more than 50 people posting in that thread. Um, sorry to break this to you, but that's a completely insignificant number.

But you have yet to answer MY question: Why are you campaigning against this game? I've linked to three websites which all gave favorable reviews of this game, and yet you've focused on the IGN article, solely because it presented the lowest score.

Then you link to the official forum, but what I'm seeing there is normal for any game. Don't believe me? Here, I'll do the very same thing you're doing right now. As proof of a game that doesn't run for many people, and is terribly buggy, I am now going to send you to this forum.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=282

Guess what.

Just Cause 2 is one of the most stable games available. But look at that forum. It's nothing but a sea of dissatisfied customers who are experiencing crash after crash after crash. Linking to a technical support forum is proof of nothing.

So again, what's up with the hatred towards this title? Have YOU played this title?

By the way, exactly 12 people complained about the crash you're referring to. Wow. Huge numbers there.

Also,

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?520797-New-Patch-fixed-Mission-1-Crash

The bug is effecting quite a few people. On the steam forums a Paradox rep even admitted it "Not everyone are affected by this crash, but too many are, and the developers are working very hard to fix it. Until the patch is released, I have two things you can try."

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674943

Congrats you weren't effected by it, but acting like it is a minor issue just cause it didn't effect you doesn't mean it isn't an issue either.

Well, that's some rather convoluted reasoning. It's your own damn fault if you spent $9 on a game that turns out to be unplayable.

Anyway, the game looks fun, and hell, it's so cheap, I probably won't get all pissy if it doesn't work.

Well, that's some rather convoluted reasoning. It's your own damn fault if you spent $9 on a game that turns out to be unplayable.

Anyway, the game looks fun, and hell, it's so cheap, I probably won't get all pissy if it doesn't work.

It does work.

The link that guy posted to clearly has 30 posts in it.... 30. And some of those posts were by the same posters.

Seriously, visit ANY technical support forum and you'll see people complaining about bugs. I linked to the Just Cause 2 forum to prove that. Honestly, I have no idea where this hostility is coming from. The game doesn't warrant it. I suspect that the guy way above is really more pissed off with me personally than he is with the game itself. He's posted right after me in other threads I've participated in as well - somewhat belligerently.

Seriously, if a game has issues then those issues need to be addressed but in this case it's unfounded.

It does work.

The link that guy posted to clearly has 30 posts in it.... 30. And some of those posts were by the same posters.

Seriously, visit ANY technical support forum and you'll see people complaining about bugs. I linked to the Just Cause 2 forum to prove that. Honestly, I have no idea where this hostility is coming from. The game doesn't warrant it. I suspect that the guy way above is really more pissed off with me personally than he is with the game itself. He's posted right after me in other threads I've participated in as well - somewhat belligerently.

Seriously, if a game has issues then those issues need to be addressed but in this case it's unfounded.

Wabe, when there is a post from a publisher saying there is a problem then the problem is real. You really can't deny it beyond that.

Thanks for the heads up. I bought it. The first one had some issues with crashing but I enjoyed the unique experience so much I have to try this out.

What? How come I'm playing it right now then!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for every bloody person who plays it. You are not the center of the universe Wabe. Your experiences are not the be-all end-all experiences that everyone will have. PC gaming doesn't work that way. You really need to educate yourself on how games work and why problems like this don't appear for everyone.

:rolleyes:
So does this mean when the devs iron out siad problems the price will go back up? :D

See, now I'm tempted to buy it just because you guys are fighting over it.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for every bloody person who plays it. You are not the center of the universe Wabe. Your experiences are not the be-all end-all experiences that everyone will have. PC gaming doesn't work that way. You really need to educate yourself on how games work and why problems like this don't appear for everyone.

Have you even read anything that I've written!

Everything you just wrote is plain obvious, and of course I agree with it, but examine the facts - please.

One: I've linked to three separate websites that gave good reviews for this title. Did you even look at those reviews? Read them. These are very favorable reviews.

Two: the person above who started this debate by arguing there was a game breaking bug that 'the majority of gamers experienced' linked to two forums in attempt to prove this, one of which was the developers own technical forum, where there was a thread 'devoted' to this so-called game breaking bug - all 14 people in that thread couldn't get the game to work for them. Hardly an avalanche of gamers there. The second link takes you to the Steam forum where there's one thread 'devoted' to this bug... look at the post count... no more than 30 posts were created, and there were even people posting numerous times.

Three: I then linked to the technical support forum of what is generally regarded to be a highly stable game, Just Cause 2, to demonstrate that every game is going to have people experiencing problems - the Just Cause 2 technical support forum is bursting with gamers who can't get the game to run.

Four: I repeat, the game is working fine for me personally. Apparently this game was even patched recently. The few people who experienced this bug seem to be saying it's been fixed for them.

In light of this overwhelming evidence, how can anybody argue that this game is buggy... and I quote... 'unplayable for the majority of gamers'.

Unplayable for the majority of gamers?

That is pure rubbish. A fiction. A bit of babble. Nonsensical talk. How can you even listen to that guy, and then take exception with what I wrote? What he wrote is pure propaganda, plain and simple. He's put a seed in people's minds that this game is a wreck and now that seed is going to grow into a weed and spread.

OP needs to quit being an ass. There are obviously problems with the game.

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about.

I need to stop being an ass? Huh? The game is bloody stable. Bloody stable. I've provided overwhelming evidence to support this.

Now please leave this thread, as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You totally disregard the link to a rep for the publisher admitting the problem is effecting more people then it should. Right from the horse mouth that there is a problem for a good amount of people.

Have you even read anything that I've written!

Everything you just wrote is plain obvious, and of course I agree with it, but examine the facts - please.

One: I've linked to three separate websites that gave good reviews for this title. Did you even look at those reviews? Read them. These are very favorable reviews.

Two: the person above who started this debate by arguing there was a game breaking bug that 'the majority of gamers experienced' linked to two forums in attempt to prove this, one of which was the developers own technical forum, where there was a thread 'devoted' to this so-called game breaking bug - all 14 people in that thread couldn't get the game to work for them. Hardly an avalanche of gamers there. The second link takes you to the Steam forum where there's one thread 'devoted' to this bug... look at the post count... no more than 30 posts were created, and there were even people posting numerous times.

Three: I then linked to the technical support forum of what is generally regarded to be a highly stable game, Just Cause 2, to demonstrate that every game is going to have people experiencing problems - the Just Cause 2 technical support forum is bursting with gamers who can't get the game to run.

Four: I repeat, the game is working fine for me personally. Apparently this game was even patched recently. The few people who experienced this bug seem to be saying it's been fixed for them.

In light of this overwhelming evidence, how can anybody argue that this game is buggy... and I quote... 'unplayable for the majority of gamers'.

Unplayable for the majority of gamers?

That is pure rubbish. A fiction. A bit of babble. Nonsensical talk. How can you even listen to that guy, and then take exception with what I wrote? What he wrote is pure propaganda, plain and simple. He's put a seed in people's minds that this game is a wreck and now that seed is going to grow into a weed and spread.

The problem is wide spread enough to require someone from Paradox to apologize for it and promise a patch. That says enough right there that it isn't something that effects only a small number of people. If it was a small problem the rep would try to play it down and tell people to buy it anyway because its not a big problem. Instead the rep says its effecting too many people. The fact that a lot of people aren't posting can mean a few things; that the game hasn't sold a lot of copies or hasn't got much attention, that not a lot of people are having problems, that not everyone having problems is posting, not everyone having problems knows about the Steam forums or the official forums, or any combination of those possibilities. You can't instantly rule it out based on such flimsy evidence. About the reviewers copies working, I can probably dig around and find a number of times reviewers found bugs in games that didn't appear in final retail releases or times where reviewers didn't find bugs that appeared in retail builds. Beyond that unless we know 100% about the systems they're running its hard to give any kind of comparison between them and the people who have had problems. There a millions of hardware and software configurations out there and it could be a specific set of them that sets off this bug.

You totally disregard the link to a rep for the publisher admitting the problem is effecting more people then it should. Right from the horse mouth that there is a problem for a good amount of people.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

The developer in that post was acknowledging a problem being experienced by a minority of gamers... yes, that's right... a minority of gamers. When the UBISOFT servers went down for four hours during the great DRM scandal, and five percent of the gamers couldn't log on, a PR person said, clearly the servers being down for even one hour is unacceptable.

This is what developers and PR people do - to calm people down when there are minor problems that can be fixed they go overboard and say that clearly these problems are unacceptable. If the problem is significant developers absolutely do not communicate with the gamers - they keep quiet.

This developer WAS NOT saying... and again, I quote the person who started this... that 'the majority of gamers cannot run this game'.

That absolutely is NOT what he was saying. To twist the meaning of his comment like that is simply further evidence of how ridiculous this debate is. Based on the number of posts created about this 'game breaking bug' at the Steam forum and at the developer's own forum, I would say that about five percent of the people encountered this game breaking bug that couldn't be bypassed.

Which is the reason the three very favorable reviews I linked to above made no mention of a bug that couldn't be bypassed. Which is why this game has a respectable Metacritic score of 71 (which was brought down by that horrible IGN review).

And by the way, that bug has even been patched, which I've said multiple times now.

It's astonishing how people are so quick to rip a game to pieces without educating themselves about the simple facts. But I guess this is exactly how propaganda works. Hatred can be spread because people want to believe it.

You know, you are just a pain in the ass to try and explain something too. You have shown on a few occasions if something doesn't effect you or not 99% of the user base then it isn't a problem. I'm done.

The problem is wide spread enough to require someone from Paradox to apologize for it and promise a patch. That says enough right there that it isn't something that effects only a small number of people. If it was a small problem the rep would try to play it down and tell people to buy it anyway because its not a big problem. Instead the rep says its effecting too many people. The fact that a lot of people aren't posting can mean a few things; that the game hasn't sold a lot of copies or hasn't got much attention, that not a lot of people are having problems, that not everyone having problems is posting, not everyone having problems knows about the Steam forums or the official forums, or any combination of those possibilities. You can't instantly rule it out based on such flimsy evidence. About the reviewers copies working, I can probably dig around and find a number of times reviewers found bugs in games that didn't appear in final retail releases or times where reviewers didn't find bugs that appeared in retail builds. Beyond that unless we know 100% about the systems they're running its hard to give any kind of comparison between them and the people who have had problems. There a millions of hardware and software configurations out there and it could be a specific set of them that sets off this bug.

Derangel, no.

I've provided three links to three very favorable reviews that were published before the patch had even been released, which itself is evidence that the bug in question was being experienced by a minority of people. No game, if it's buggy, and if it contains a game breaking bug that doesn't allow THE MAJORITY of people to advance, is going to get a combined Metacritic score of 71.

That would never ever happen.

A game containing a game breaking bug of that nature, if it really was something affecting 'the vast majority of gamers', would be lucky to receive a Metacritic score of 30.

And to repeat. The game has since been patched. Okay.

Derangel, no.

I've provided three links to three very favorable reviews that were published before the patch had even been released, which itself is evidence that the bug in question was being experienced by a minority of people. No game, if it's buggy, and if it contains a game breaking bug that doesn't allow THE MAJORITY of people to advance, is going to get a combined Metacritic score of 71.

That would never ever happen.

A game containing a game breaking bug of that nature, if it really was something affecting 'the vast majority of gamers', would be lucky to receive a Metacritic score of 30.

And to repeat. The game has since been patched. Okay.

So you're saying that the Paradox rep apologized for a problem that doesn't exist? It might not hit every user or almost every one, but its enough for someone to speak up about it. Thats enough to notify people of when you're recommending a game, even if you haven't had an issue. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people on the Steam forums talking about the patch yet, which could mean great things. It could mean people haven't tried it yet either. Its a problem worth noting until more people add their reports to it.

Looks like I got to remind myself to NEVER post any game deals on this site.

After all of Wabewalker's QQing and defensiveness, I couldn't help but check the game out just to see. Not surprisingly, it is a completely average strategy game with a shitload of bugs. I blew through most of the crusader campaign on normal this afternoon and it was reasonably fun, but primarily because the Total War games it shamelessly steals almost all of its gameplay concepts from are excellent rather than any grand vision on the part of the designers. There's really nothing different here other than the absence of any strategy on the overmap, unit rock/paper/scissors and terrain bonuses are more pronounced, and you can equip your units with items that mostly have a minimal effect.

Overall the game is MUCH less polished than Total War, I probably saw 20-30 poor design elements along the lines of useless tooltips, having to mouse over a unit even while it's selected to see its status because otherwise the HUD shows the terrain type instead of the selected unit, camera unusable near the edge of the map, etc. I had been wanting to try a game from this developer for a while but so many people talk of the horribly cheating AI in King Arthur that spawns infinite enemies that I was turned off to that game. Lionheart is a chance to play a game on that engine without the cheating AI, and it did not impress me.

Now as for the bugs:
-I did not experience the repeated crash at the end of the first mission that so may others are experiencing
-Instead, the game crashed on me almost every time I started a mission after upgrading troops. In just one day, I had about 15 or so crashes from launcher errors and C++ runtime errors. I've never seen anything like this before. Luckily the game restarts quickly (and you just save in anticipation of the crash), so it only costs a couple minutes of time per menu crash.
-The game also crashed once at the end of a long battle (there is no mid-battle save), costing me about 30 minutes to replay it.
-SLI doesn't work
-AA doesn't work
-Vsynch force doesn't work, so your card will be blasting along at 100% as the screen tears all over the place. I even tried to force it with D3Doverride to no avail

I think IGN nailed their review. It's a 7.0 (completely average) game brought down to a 5.0 by the complete ineptness of the coders/QA.

Looks like I lied. Went to finish my campaign up and I hit a gamebreaking bug different from the most commonly cited one.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?521006-C-crashes-post-1.02

I am still getting a significant number of crashes. I can sometimes get one battle in and save before a crash occurs. This is better then prior, but still pretty bad. I am also unable to play any of the jerusalem missions that occur after you have taken the land as it is a guaranteed crash. Thankfully, there is an option to just bypass it. I can't get the siege of baghdad going without it crashing as the walls come down which means I am unable to finish the Crusader campaign as this is my last mission.

I've got the exact same bug as that guy. Looks like only a "lucky" few can play this game all the way through.

I had a huge problem with King Arthur crashing (windows xp 32/8800 g92). The game was fun and pleasing to the eyes; but it had slow load times/coupled with frequent crashes which made it a PIA. I did finish but no dlc or other games until they fix the constant crashing.

I am building a windows 7 64 pc; and will probably give it a spin on that system and if it performs better (fewer crashes) I'll probably bite at a later date. There seems to be alot of folks in denial about the constant crashing but this is frequent problem for many players. I tracked on problem down to a video setting; and disabling that (graphical) feature reduced the crashing but there was some other non graphical glitch that frequently occurred at the end of battles (worse time as you have the long drawn out fight and just before you can save the victory and progress the story it crashes).

The pirated version may be buggy. The one you pay for definitely is not. I've been playing for hours without experiencing any kinds of crashes or bugs whatsoever. Just like King Arthur, this game is stable.

Also, the Total War comparisons, as many others have said, are always made by people who don't understand this series. It's not Total War, and was never meant to be. It should be plain obvious to anybody who has spent any amount of time on this that you can't move freely about the campaign map, which is obviously THE fundamental mechanic of the Total War series.

Getting really fed up with hearing from pirates who belittle titles they didn't pay for and know nothing about.

Last edited:
Back