List of TRUE 1080p on PS3 and Xbox 360 - Let's put this together!

Pixel Junk Monsters shows up on my HP 2408h monitor as 1080P native and doesn't look upscaled to me.

For what it's worth - as the owner of all three consoles - 360's games look better at 720p than PS3's because of 360's antialiasing -- but at 1080p I think the PS3 interface looks better.

Sigma claims to be 1080p (hit the "display info" button on your TV) but it's using software upscaling of some sort. It's a little like Halo 3 did. I can't recall what the resolution actually was, but it was something like 800x1080 or something along those lines. I'd say it did look better than 720p, but it was unnaturally fuzzy because of the upscaling.

I'm guessing this thread doesn't really need to be a sticky anymore... it's more disappointing than I would have expected. A handful of downloadable 1080p games on either platform and less retail games than I could count on one hand. Viva the HD revolution! :p

PinballFX is 1080p on Xbox360. 1:1 scaling on my HP w2408h shows that it's running in true 1080p

Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix does not render the whole game in 1080p. Only a few things.

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/577

remove from list.

Because of download size limits, we are not yet sure if we can meet our goal of 1:1 pixels. Maybe we will be able to do further optimizations to meet it, or maybe the download size limits will change. In the absolute worst case though, the game will still output a 1080p signal and will still have 1:1 1080p source resolution for all text, all UI elements such as life bars and super meters, and even the foreground elements on all the stages. Only the characters and far backgrounds might have to use 720p source art scaled to 1080p.

Wipeout HD is 1080P on the PS3.

Sure, it may drop back, but it's native 1080P the greater bulk of the time, which is more than any similarly complex title can say on either system.

You forgot 2 more. Everyday Shooter and Linger in Shadows both run at 1080p. EDS may not be pushing the limits, but LiS does some pretty cool stuff at 1080p.

Cheers

Croaker

Maybe we should make a list of games that render below 1280x720. There are a handful of Xbox games that do including.

PGR 3
Halo 3

Maybe we should make a list of games that render below 1280x720. There are a handful of Xbox games that do including.

PGR 3
Halo 3

If you are trying to stir up controversy against the Xbox 360 on this point you'll get no where fast. IIRC Xbox 360 didn't promise 1080p with dual monitor displays on every game --- like the PS3 did ----- prior to launch.

And do take note. 720p on xbox 360 (or less) looks better than the equivalent on PS3 because of the Xbox 360's superior (and at least implemented) AA.

I have both PS3 and Xbox360 so I'm not biased one way or the other. (Though I do enjoy the 360 much more). They both have their merits --- let's not turn this thread into a flame fest.

Not sure if this has already been listed, but isn't Disgaea 3 on PS3 1080p, even though the game isn't graphic extensive?

Is Lumines Supernova for the PS3 a 1080p game?

Don't see it mentioned in the thread or any of the lists. Looks to be to me, but I can't be sure, but my guess would be it is, since its mostly just a video background with 2d sprite animation.

Per some recent discussion, and my own findings, I added a few games to the Playstation 3 side.

Bejeweled 2 (not pushing the limits at all, but it's def. 1080p)
Calling All Cars
Comet Crash (ugly, but 1080p and FUN)
Disgaea 3
Everyday Shooter
Linger in Shadows
Lumines Supernova
The Last Guy

Anyway, this is not a thread to discuss which is the best console. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have both, and I wouldn't want to give either up.

Last edited by a moderator:
SO, can anyone confirm / opposite-of-confirm the few PS3 games that are up in the air?

This list is kind of sad. I remember dreaming of the PS3 back in my early teenage years and now it is such a disappointment.

The recently released PSN Game: Fat Princess seems to be running at full 1080p. It's one of cleanest looking games I've played, but it can become a bloody mess.. Great game BTW.

I notice on the back of the new designed PS3 game packaging that it actually list each of the 4 resolutions and highlights what the game runs at, rather than simply listing them all as "compatible'. Well, it at least does on the title I have.

Old boxes also have "Supported HD resolutions" section. There are some games though (like Ninja Gaiden Sigma) that cause the PS3 to output at 1080p but actually render the game in a lower resolution and just stretch it to fit the screen. Bottom line is we can't use those info boxes for building this table.

[citation needed]

There is none. His comment is false.

What he was probably trying to say is X2aa, in some cases, looks better than X2qaa. His argument is wrong. Equivalent settings, x2aa = x2aa.

It's up to the developer what mode and sampling pattern to use.

Originally Posted by Archaea
And do take note. 720p on xbox 360 (or less) looks better than the equivalent on PS3 because of the Xbox 360's superior (and at least implemented) AA.

[citation needed]
There is none. His comment is false.

Jon55 and Stereophile...

Do I really need a citation for something so widely known and published? As an owner of both consoles --- I submit my personal observation to the pile too.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=anti+aliasing+360+ps3

here's a couple off the top --- by no means an exhaustive citation list. Google it for a couple minutes and you'll see. Even current generation screenshots from Xbox360 and PS3 show better AA on the Xbox360. The GPU is better on the 360 than the PS3 --- so that also means the 360 games get slightly better shaders as well.

We’ve already discussed that the 360’s GPU architecture will effectively give free 4X AA at this resolution, so there’s no reason not to have 4X AA enabled as well.
The support for 4X AA across the board is important, because on a large TV, even 720p is going to exhibit quite a bit of aliasing.
Microsoft’s free 4X AA is wonderful and desperately needed, especially on larger TVs,

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453&p=10

Both games look fantastic. The only real difference we noticed was the Xbox 360's antialiasing. Compare the Xbox 360's clean cable lines to the jagged lines on the PS3.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6171831/p-2.html

While the PS3’s game graphics have improved, the 360 still offers the better graphics of the two systems. In detail, after the jump.
Here’s the editors’ June 07 conclusions:
Xbox 360 offered better antialiasing (cleaning up jagged lines) overall
Xbox 360 offered better texture quality overall

http://hlime.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/june-07-comparison-xbox-360-graphics-vs-ps3-graphics/

XBOX 360’s GPU allows it to run at higher resolutions while eliminating jaggies with “Free” Antialiasing.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-two-years-later/

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can�t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

Hey guys, did you not read the OP? No console fanboy bitching. If Zinn were still alive I'm sure he'd tell you to STFU.

Blame Nvidia. They botched the scaling. Or else PS3 would output every game in 1080p like 360.

Blame Sony, they designed the damn thing and made all the choices, including which GPU's to buy from which vendor.

That said, who cares if the games are 1080p or not? Most PS3 and 360 games look great at whatever resolution they render at. Just be happy you're getting all this detail :)

Back