Litestep

pjaank

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone out there using Litestep? Just installed it on my work laptop, and it looks like it's going to take some getting used to. Found some documentation on lsdocs, but I was wondering if anyone out there had some handy tips and tricks, or linkage to other documentation? Or any favorite places for grabbing themes?

No real words of wisdom here.
Just a pointer to my favorite distribution of Litestep > LDE(X)

Anyone else? I tried messing around some with the default theme tonight, using the documentation I linked above. I think it COULD be good documentation, as it lists out the syntax of a ton of commands. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a good job of pointing where exactly to use the syntax, or give any sort of examples. Guess I'll have to search around some more.

There was a thread about litestep a ways back that I posted in, dont rememeber what became of it, anyway:

Themes
I've had good luck with www.deviantart.com and www.litestep.net

Syntax
The way I learned it was from looking at examples, i.e. other themes and "borrowing" the code and tweak it as needed. Also, whenever you download individual modules (say, off of www.shellfront.org or www.loose-screws.com ), in the zips they usually have a readme that usually includes all the syntax, and how to use it.

Hints/Tips
My recommendation is always have a user with explorer as its shell, and your main user with litestep, just in case an issue with a theme. With the explorer user you can go in the configs and set it up to "safe" settings."

Loose-screws, shellfront, and LSML (The Litestep Mailing List, linked on shellfront) are good sources of information, as well as troubleshooting (mainly the mailing list there).

As for examples, what you trying to do? I'll try to provide some clue on what you're trying to do.

Hmm, I'll have to check out some of those links. I was planning on playing around with some of the themes, and learning the code from those. To start with, I was just trying to mess with the taskbar. Autohide it, and stuff like that. I've got a listing of the syntax to use, but no examples of how to structure it, or which .rc to edit for sure.

Usually, all the code for a theme goes into step.rc/theme.rc (depending on if you're running OTS1 or OTS2), some themers (like me) like to break it up into several rc files, and then use the "include directory/filename" syntax to point to the individual files. For instance, one rc file for the popup settings, one for desktop settings, etc. Some themes that use the lsbox module (mostly themes that have draggable sections) have for each draggable entity has its own .box file (pretty much like a rc file) and then the same type of include statement (I don't remember the exact syntax for that). For structure, just keep it to where you can understand it, like a section to load the bmps and font settings, etc. Personally, I like the way burstnibber's themes are structure (look on deviantart), and he also does a lot of good scripting to take examples from, tho he uses lsbox quite a lot (can only think of one theme he did without it). Unfortunately his themes are OTS1 only, hopefully he will update them (or I'll do it myself). By the way, between OTS1 and OTS2 the syntax isn't different, it handles modules differently (OTS2 uses a common module folder whereas OTS1 doesn't).

Side Note: For "easy" multi-monitor capability use lsbox to load the parts of theme, since there are no dependcies on resolution for boxes. Other modules have different ways of handling resolutions.

Ok, that's enough from me. :D

Yeah. I think the default theme is using a ton of different .rc files. Because the step.rc I was noodling around in didn't have much of anything in it. Still have to find time to mess around in there.

Back