LiveKernalEvent and Other Oddness

Deeky

Gawd
I *think* this is a GPU hardware issue, hence my post in the Video Cards forum. I could be wrong though!

I'm currently running a GTX 285 w/ 260.89 WHQL. I recently connected an 1080p HDTV to my PC (via DVI-HDMI adapter) for use as a primary monitor, running alongside my older HP 24" 1920x1200 (straight DVI). Immediately, odd stuff started happening.

So long as I make it through post and initial Windows startup, everything is fine. I can game at high resolution with max settings and all is well. However, more often than not, something odd will happen while I try to bring my rig out of sleep or cold boot:

1. One or both monitor will fail to pick up a signal.
2. The Nvidia drivers will go absolutely bonkers as soon as I enter Windows, spitting out LiveKernalEvent errors.
3. 2D performance goes to hell seemingly at random intervals, causing text to be near impossible to read on both monitors.

When I do eventually get things back up and running, Windows Color Management has lost all of my color profiles and I often have to readjust various settings under Nvidia Control panel.

I've accessed my Event Viewer and the Diagnostics-Performance report is grim. Since I hooked up the LG three days ago and began my dual-monitor journey, there have been dozens of errors and warnings. The majority read:

Boot Performance Monitoring warning.
Shutdown Performance Monitoring warning.
"The desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."
"Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.

The vast majority refer to Desktop Windows Manager degradation in one way or another.

It should be noted that I've been dealing with the LiveKernalEvent error since April, but it's been rare. Once a month max. I've seen it SEVENTEEN TIMES since I hooked up the LG, according to Windows Action Center.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping this is a simple matter of replacing the GPU.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be if you haven't done so to try turning of Windows Aero. Aka those shiny graphics assuming your running either Windows Vista or Windows 7. Those shiny graphics from Windows Aero use a given or set amount of video card memory to remain active and the amount used is equal to your resolution.

It's possible that adding the second monitor might be causing issues with Windows Aero's transparency effects and its using more resources now than previously due to the preceived 'higher resolution' brought on by the second monitor. The graphics subsystem thing you referred to quite frequently in Event Viewer log terminology refers to your drivers or Windows Aero effects.

Turning off Windows Aero effects is done by changing your theme in your desktop settings/display settings for your pc.

Thanks, I've switched to Win 7 "Basic" which seems to disable all the pretty Aero. I'll also change my graphic preset from "Quality" to "Performance", as has been suggested elsewhere.

Though this may be helping my situation once I'm booted into Windows, I now enjoy a relatively consistent issue with my displays failing to pick up a signal upon restart. I can hear the rig booting into Windows (I hear the chime), but neither monitor receives a signal. I can turn them on and off, disconnect and reconnect, nothing. I have to unplug one, restart, then reconnect after Windows has booted. If I leave one unplugged for any length of time following reboot, the Nvidia drivers start spazzing, puking out KernalEvent errors.

Hrm. Could it be indirectly connected to bad memory? I've had a few situations where a failed boot results in a loop of misery where I simply cannot boot stable. The only way I've found to fix it is to yank the memory and boot with a single stick. I wonder because I can game just fine once I've made it into Windows and therefore have a hard time believing it's a straight up GPU issue. I've can run the Vantage Extreme benchmark with no problem. I wonder if it might be a conflict of some kind ...?

Last edited:
Ah, to hell with it. I'm nuking my Win 7 installation and starting clean. At least then I can rule out things like corrupted registry and focus on the obvious hardware problem. Too many variables, otherwise.

Back