Load game on hard drive on PS3 - like you can on a 360?

Nomad

2[H]4U
I know on the 360 you can load games and play them from the HDD - can you do this on a PS3? I have one of the original 20Gb PS3s and have a 120Gb SSD on my desk that I am not using - wondering if it is worth the hassle of putting this drive in the console.

TIA

PS3 already do that. Thats why you wait 5-10 minutes while it installs it on the HDD. just look at the file sizes. Also look up PS3 jailbreak.

Clarification - I know it loads some stuff - but was wondering if there was a way to install 99% of a game to the HDD. I just finished playing Red Dead Redemption - my optical drive was always spinning -

Clarification - I know it loads some stuff - but was wondering if there was a way to install 99% of a game to the HDD. I just finished playing Red Dead Redemption - my optical drive was always spinning -

No it doesn't, not sure what that dude is talking about. You'll probably find only about 10% of games will let you....maybe less.

Only way to is to hack it (jailbreak), but then your sacrificing online play. That would depend entirely on what fw your on at present too.

Last edited:
Interesting reading on the PS3 jailbreak. I will look further. I think I am running 3.55 already though - will have to look into the possibility of downgrading.

No you can't and you wouldn't want to if you could. The games are huge because they don't have to compress data to fit them on blu-ray.

As for those hacks ... I can't say but it seems to be possible but I wouldn't bother.

No you can't and you wouldn't want to if you could. The games are huge because they don't have to compress data to fit them on blu-ray.

As for those hacks ... I can't say but it seems to be possible but I wouldn't bother.

You can for certain games like Super Street Fighter 4. Quite annoying as if you install SSF4 you can tell those that haven't when your waiting for them to load......Uncharted and Transformers WFC do a mandatory install on first load too IIRC too and there are other examples. I'm sure if you Google there will be a full list somewhere.

Some games use the entirety of the Blu-ray discs, so it would take a huge amount of space on your hard drive if it were possible to copy the entire thing.

Short answer: No.
Long Answer: Some games let/force you to install some portion of the game. Would you want to copy the entire disc? Probably not.

Some games use the entirety of the Blu-ray discs, so it would take a huge amount of space on your hard drive if it were possible to copy the entire thing.

Short answer: No.
Long Answer: Some games let/force you to install some portion of the game. Would you want to copy the entire disc? Probably not.

I might want to though. I typically play one game at a time - so for me - that would be a great option. Some kind of a scratch disk that can be used to store a game (maybe one at a time). Works for me - probably not for most people.

the large majority of games are under 10gb as most are ports and have to be able to fit on a single dual layer dvd for the 360. Some games do hover around 15-20gb and a select few are 40gb.

Back