Local transfer speeds much lower than WAN.

Quantum

Limp Gawd
I've been searching for an answer to this for some time now but I haven't found one. My apartment is connected to a city-wide fiber network and I'm signed up for 100/100 Mbps. I can reach those speeds over wifi when downloading/uploading from/to the internet. But when I try to copy files between computers or the HDD connected to the router on the same network I can only transfer at about 2 MB/s (usually stays at 1.8 MB/s). Clearly the router is capable of transferring at least 11 MB/s over wifi yet I get these low transfer speeds locally. All devices connected to the router are 802.1n capable and task manager shows the connection as 300 Mbps with very low interference. Is this a limitation of Windows 7 or protocols used for transfer in local networks?

The router is a Netgear WNR3500L v2 with Tomato firmware by Shibby. Though I've had the exact same result with two other 802.1n routers.

It's most likely the CPU in the router. Routers are notorious for being shitty at file sharing via USB.

It's not just when transferring files to/from the USB drive, I get the same low speeds when transferring between computers on the same network. But, as I said, both the computers and the router are clearly capable of higher speeds. YouTube, Netflix, Steam, uTorrent, etc., all of these can reach speeds up to 11 MB/s over wifi, yet transfers within the same network are ridiculously slow over wifi.

Internet to pc is wired-to-wireless, pc to pc is wifi-to-wifi.

There lies your problem, wifi is half duplex.

Back