Login Problems with XP

Thanatos.

Gawd
So one of our offsite workers is having an issue with logging to her computer. She logs in locally to the computer and then connects to us via a VPN but until recently when she tries to login it gets stuck after the login prompt, you can still move the mouse but you cant ctrl+alt+del or anything else. Now it will let me login as the domain Admin no problem and she can login in safemode. She didnt install anything or download anything this just randomly started happening we use Eset Nod32 3.0.669 and all virus scans came up clean.. Shes running XP Pro SP3. Any ideas?

If you can log in fine, but her desktop fails to load properly when she logs in I say her profile is corrupt. Try renaming her old one and letting Windows create a new one the next time she logs in.

Alright i deleted the User and the User Profile and created a new one when i tried to login as that new user it did the same thing. Any more ideas?

Reinstall operating system using Vista x64. Problem solved.

Reinstall operating system using Vista x64. Problem solved.

Yah im sure that will solve all our problems :rolleyes: at my company my boss has decided we are skipping vista completely in our upgrade path. Also im looking for a solution that i can do Remotely as shes in Texas and we are in Utah.

I have a few comments about your boss deciding to skip Vista already. That isn't saying much for his/her future planning, because what if, for some reason, Windows 7 doesn't pan out well. Given how stable Vista is, he/she might regret his decision. Sounds like another person buying into the FUD, instead of testing and trying on their own. But I digress...

Anyway, when you recreate the new profile, did you use the same username? If so, try creating a completely separate user account, with a different username.

Oh he tried it out for about 3 months on his main computer and he decided that for us right now going to vista was not worth the cost. We also have alot of old computers and programs and by the time Windows 7 comes out we should have most of our software and hardware upgraded and ready. And if Vista is stable wouldnt Windows 7 Be stable seeing as its basically Vista 1.5?

Now with the problem i logged in as the new user in safemode and now its working normally, must have had a problem creating the rest of the user profile or something.

I was wondering if it is something resident in the registry, which is why I suggested trying a new, different username. You can always try removing all non-functioning user accounts, rebooting, and then running a reg cleaner, like CCleaner, from your admin account.

Well at first i created the same user but when that didnt work i made a different user and it had the same effect but everything seems to be working great now.

Back