Logitech Elite keyboard causing slow boot times

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been dealing with slow boot times ever since I built this computer and have just learned to live with it. It finally really got to me this week and I figured out what is causing it: my Logitech Elite USB keyboard!

Without the keyboard plugged in, boot times are about 64 seconds. With the keyboard plugged in, boot times are more like 4 minutes. It hangs on the black screen before you get to the XP splash screen.

This happens in any USB port it is plugged into and does NOT happen if I use another brand of USB keyboard (I have an Apple USB keyboard and it boots no problem). I actually have 2 of the Elite USB keyboards and this happens with both.

My system:
Chaintech 7NJS Ultra ZENITH (nForce 2 Ultra 400)
XP Barton 2800+
1GB PC3200
37GB Raptor SATA as boot drive
CBOX2 USB/Firewire front dock
Dell FPW 2005 (the USB hub is plugged into the back of the mobo)
Logitech 518 optical gaming mouse

I've tried with the MS keyboard drivers and with the Logitech drivers and it happens with both.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this... besides buying a new keyboard?

Does the keyboard use any software to run, outside of the drivers?

I also used a Logitech Elite keyboard. But, I don't experience your problem. Its very strange tha you see it with two different Elite keyboards...... :confused: :(

Well I 'm not sure what would cause your problem but I would suggest you try the keyboard on the PS/2 port.

I have a Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard and if I use it on the USB port (any port) it'll disconnect and re-connect in a continuous loop whenver I print, sync my PDA or use my Flash drive. Strangely it isn't effected by the USB Audigy 2 NX sound card or my USB 2.0 hard drive.

Since I connected my keyboard to the PS/2 port I have had no problems at all.

vamp - I've tried it with and without the software. No difference.

Canon - it doesn't happen when connected to PS2 but I didn't buy a USB keyboard so I could hook it up to the PS2 port.

I really do like this keyboard (which is why I bought the 2nd one) because of its scroll wheel on the left and I think the shape of it is comfortable.

nomar said:
I didn't buy a USB keyboard so I could hook it up to the PS2 port.

Generally you buy a keyboard to use it and it doesn't matter where it's plugged in. Unless it's a functionality issue...but to each their own.

Back