Logitech Harmony remote...

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
LOVE IT!!! I was tired of having 4 remotes to control my dvd player, 51" hdtv, cable box/dvr, and stereo receiver....

Took about 30 minutes to get all my functions setup, but man, now hit one button and boom! Everything turns on for that particular function, and to boot, the remote is backlit for late night lights off viewing....

Highly recommended! 5 stars!!!

Which one did you get? I'm also tired of multiple remotes, and I need to see about getting a universal.

I have the 880 and LOVE it! I "inherited" it after my father in law decided it wouldn't run a few pieces of his equipment. Took me about 10 minutes to set it up. Very easy to set up and a breeze to use.

I've tried several Harmony remotes, most recently the 550, but they never worked well for me. Every remote always had this bizarre 3-5 second delay between pushing a button and the function working. Have you noticed anything like that with the remotes you've discussed here? Do they have an optional RF capability? That's a must for me.

For about 2 years, I've used the Universal URC-100 Unifier remote + its Expander RF base module. It's worked very well but the remote is showing its age. Plus, it's a battery hog. I think this remote has been discontinued because I can't find it anywhere. I'm considering another try with a Harmony but past experiences have been disappointing.

Is there a Logitech Harmony that can do the PS3. I know the PS3 uses Bluetooth and not sure if the Harmony's can do Bluetooth. Then again I may be thinking to much in it...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've tried several Harmony remotes, most recently the 550, but they never worked well for me. Every remote always had this bizarre 3-5 second delay between pushing a button and the function working.

This is exactly the problem I had with my Harmony remote(I believe it's a 680 or something like that). It's an older model so I don't know if the issue has been dealt with, but it was bad enough that I just stopped using it out of frustration. It's really a shame, because everything else about it was great.

+1 for the Harmony One, I absolutely love mine. I have never noticed any button lag between pushing and the function working, and I have the set up with the blu wave receiver and it works alright I guess but there is a little bit of delay (the blu wave remote's fault not the Harmony's), but the other options are too expensive to justify me going and manually turning off the PS3 everytime.

I have a Harmony 550 and there is a slight delay when using it. I notice it most when turning the volume up and down on my receiver and when I am flipping through the TV guide. It really isn't enough lag to be annoying but I sometimes wish it wasn't like that.

Anyone got the Harmony One remote? Was thinking of getting that even tho the price kinda blows but matches everything i got.

I have a Harmony 550 and there is a slight delay when using it. I notice it most when turning the volume up and down on my receiver and when I am flipping through the TV guide. It really isn't enough lag to be annoying but I sometimes wish it wasn't like that.

Yeah I guess it has something to do with all the business going on inside, what with having to determine which component to to direct, maybe? Also it obviously takes several seconds to initiate an activity, since it issues multiple commands to various components. Personally I just leave mine sitting on the edge of the coffee table and press the button without picking it up :)

I'm a big fan of mine...but I've also found that how well it works often depends on your specific equipment. Some devices just aren't as responsive and miss turning on or switching inputs. You can fix some of this by altering the delays, but it can be tricky. I have an onkyo receiver, a sony tv, ps3, 360, wii, and scientific atlanta dvr right now and they all work spectacularly.

Anyone got the Harmony One remote? Was thinking of getting that even tho the price kinda blows but matches everything i got.

Personally, if I was going to spend that much, I'd want bluetooth and maybe even wifi (which the espn remote now has).

Every remote always had this bizarre 3-5 second delay between pushing a button and the function working.
This is exactly the problem I had with my Harmony remote(I believe it's a 680 or something like that). It's an older model so I don't know if the issue has been dealt with, but it was bad enough that I just stopped using it out of frustration. It's really a shame, because everything else about it was great.

What's a shame is you people don't notice anything. The remote has to turn each device on one at a time. so if the TV is set to come on last, then yes you wont notice anything happen for about 3-5 seconds. Cause it is probably turning on first the cable box, then the dvd player, then the sound receiver, and finally the tv(or projector).

So guess what, if you were to turn on everything manually one at a time, it would take even longer than 3-5 seconds.

I've tried several Harmony remotes, most recently the 550, but they never worked well for me. Every remote always had this bizarre 3-5 second delay between pushing a button and the function working. Have you noticed anything like that with the remotes you've discussed here? Do they have an optional RF capability? That's a must for me.

The Harmony 890 has RF, the 880 does not.

What's a shame is you people don't notice anything. The remote has to turn each device on one at a time. so if the TV is set to come on last, then yes you wont notice anything happen for about 3-5 seconds. Cause it is probably turning on first the cable box, then the dvd player, then the sound receiver, and finally the tv(or projector).

So guess what, if you were to turn on everything manually one at a time, it would take even longer than 3-5 seconds.

This is not the delay I was talking about. The delay between all of the components turning on or switching sources is expected, however the delay when turning up the volume on my receiver or flipping through my satellite guide is not expected. The remote that came with my receiver and the remote that came with my satellite box is instantaneous with commands.

Exactly this:

This is not the delay I was talking about. The delay between all of the components turning on or switching sources is expected, however the delay when turning up the volume on my receiver or flipping through my satellite guide is not expected. The remote that came with my receiver and the remote that came with my satellite box is instantaneous with commands.

The problem isn't that there was a delay when issuing a command to turn everything on, the problem was that there was a large delay whenever I did anything at all, even if it was something as simple as raising the volume or going to a different channel. It became easier for me just to grab the individual remotes and use whatever function I wanted to than to use the Harmony simply because of the delay. That's why I'm interested in knowing whether or not the problem has been fixed, and so far I haven't gotten a conclusive answer yet.

Harmony 1 FTW! They just need to make a 1 verision 2 with bluetooth support and it's gg.

The problem isn't that there was a delay when issuing a command to turn everything on, the problem was that there was a large delay whenever I did anything at all, even if it was something as simple as raising the volume or going to a different channel. It became easier for me just to grab the individual remotes and use whatever function I wanted to than to use the Harmony simply because of the delay. That's why I'm interested in knowing whether or not the problem has been fixed, and so far I haven't gotten a conclusive answer yet.

Yep, same thing happening here with a 550. I gave up on it and just use stock remotes along with a dinovo mini now.

Yep, same thing happening here with a 550. I gave up on it and just use stock remotes along with a dinovo mini now.

OK so a little update... I have a 520, which looks just like the 550 (maybe an earlier model?) and like I said before I was having the same delay issues. This thread inspired me to plug my remote in and see if I had the latest firmware. Sure enough I did not. I updated the remote and it definitely feels more responsive.... I will post back after playing with it more..

Is there a way to turn off the volume of one device when leaving an activity and turning it back on when selecting the activity? The ideal way would be using the mute command in the on/off sequence. Unfortunately, my Samsung likes to leave a mute notice on screen and I can't find a way to turn it off.

Figured it out... Had to set up a sequence to the internal mute, which is eight steps. Crappy, but it'll do for now.

I'll be honest, this thread convinced me to buy a Harmony 550. I love it, thanks OP! The best part is that my wife also loves it!

I'll be honest, this thread convinced me to buy a Harmony 550. I love it, thanks OP! The best part is that my wife also loves it!

I got mine dialed in now, and it has truly, truly, replaced ALL 4 of my remotes. Very good option for only 80 bucks or so....

Haha. Crazy. The multifunction universal that came with my Onkyo receiver can control everything, just not "automatically".

BTW, what devices do you guys have that are RF controlled?

had a 550 since Xmas and love it for the $75 it cost me (no MIRs). theres a noticeable input delay but you get used to it.

Ah, well my friend has one of these remotes and I have never noticed any lag. Have you tried going over to a friend's house and trying the remote on their equipment?

Ah, well my friend has one of these remotes and I have never noticed any lag. Have you tried going over to a friend's house and trying the remote on their equipment?

What do I care whether or not it works well with a friend's stuff if it doesn't work well with mine?

I have a 550 don't know how I lived without it. Before I had the TV/DVR/Receiver/DVD remotes to play with.

I Just bought a Harmony 550 thinking it wouild be good. I spent over 2 hours setting it up and the friggin thing still does not turn on my Sat box. :rolleyes:

I got this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100771

I did not need anything else, my setup is not all that complicated, and at that price, it's a steal for everything it can do. It DOES come with Vista compatible software, even though the packaging did not indicate as such.

I have the 550 and LOVE it, it even controls my macbook which is great.

I wish it could power on my modded xbox and control that... and maybe make me a sandwich and get me a cold beer hahah

the harmony remotes are awesome, anyone that dosn't have one is missing out.

expensive is relative, $200 for a camera bag might sound expensive, but think about how much equipment it will be protecting...

IF you have a good hometheater going why skimp on the remote, the remote will last you a long time, and it can last you through several upgrades.

I just got the 550 and hoping it fits my needs.
Currently only have a television, cable, CD player, got an adapter for the PS3.

everyone that has something more then just a tv in their living room should own a harmony remote.

Back