Logitech MX1000

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Well I just purchased a Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse. For those of you who do not know about this, it is a wireless mouse that uses a laser instead of an LED "Optical Eye". The laser is supposedly 20x more accurate, yada, yada, yada.

Among it's features are battery life indicator and rechargable base station. It's not Bluetooth like the MX900, so it's RF like the MX700. IT does work well.

Supposedly it will work on more surfaces. Mine sure seems to. Woodgrain and glossy surfaces aren't a challenge for this mouse.

Ergonomics have been changed a bit since the MX500/MX700/MX900 models. The thunb area is more comfortable as is the opposite side for resting your pinky. The useless and unreachable task switcher button has been moved to a new three button cluster located at the normal thumb button spot shared with the MXx00 series. The grip is still rubberized plastic and the mouse has shrunk in length slightly. This was a welcome change in my opinion.

This mouse also features a tilt wheel similar to Microsoft's newer designs. I find it useless but perhaps one day I'll find a use for it. Right now it just seems like something that was done to keep it competive with Microsoft's offerings.
The base station is also improved. Making placing the mouse in the charger easier.

Anyway I've been using it for a couple hours now. I'm impressed with the feel and the quality of the mouse. Plus the accuracy is better than previous mice, however I don't know if I believe this 20x crap Logitech claims.

I haven't installed the software yet. The mouse and all of it's buttons worked perfectly on my system loaded with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. I will load the software and see if it's improved over earlier versions of the Logitech software.

The mouse also had over 50% charge when I opened it and plugged it in. So it probably hadn't sat on the shelf for two long. This mouse is expensive but no more so than the MX500 and MX700's intro price.

In short it's a nice upgrade for users of the MX500/MX700 and MX900 who wanted to see some slight changes to the physical design of the aforementioned mice. The laser is superior but not enough so in my opinion to justfy the upgrade cost unless you plan on using it on a surface that previously was not usable with it's optical predessessors.

Riftgarde said:
I can't buy it, I'm a left handed freak! :(
If you set your mind to it I'm sure you could "learn" how to use a right handed mouse. I have a left handed friend and I've never seen him use a mouse left handed, he'd probably have zero coordination with it if he did.

It uses a giant "LASER"
APDrEvilLaser.gif

Riftgarde said:

I hear ya buddy!!!! I want one!!

kick@ss said:
If you set your mind to it I'm sure you could "learn" how to use a right handed mouse. I have a left handed friend and I've never seen him use a mouse left handed, he'd probably have zero coordination with it if he did.

Yeah one of my buddies is a lefty but has always used his right hand...but its just what he got used to. I tried going to the right side for a while but it was hard...especially in gaming. Desktop was fine but in games it was just a nightmare.

Im right handed.
I only mouse left-handed. I could use either, but by now my left is far superior in gaming or precision work like digital photo editing.
So you can learn whatever, though Im not going back to right,
For those wishing to train up their right hand, I recommend MS's entertainment duo.. solitair and minesweeper. seriously.

I'm getting one in the near future to replace my mx500. I need a mouse for my laptop, and my mx500 will serve that purpose.

I'm left handed, and I use righty joysticks and mice no problem. Then again I think I'm more ambidextrous than Left handed (My sister writes with either hand.)

Sate said:
Im right handed.
I only mouse left-handed. I could use either, but by now my left is far superior in gaming or precision work like digital photo editing.
So you can learn whatever, though Im not going back to right,
For those wishing to train up their right hand, I recommend MS's entertainment duo.. solitair and minesweeper. seriously.
Well hey! you never said which mouse you own. :)~

-Bullseye

Dig1tal_Pr0be said:
It uses a giant "LASER"
APDrEvilLaser.gif
That was the funniest post I have seen in a while. :D
Maybe its time to upgrade from the MX510 to the 1000? How does it fare in games?

i just got am mx1000, and i love it so far. i upgraded from my old, old logitech mouseman dual optical (it was litterally falling appart)

i like the design of the mx1000, and the sensitivity, along with button placement.

the only thing i dont like is the fact that the browser back buttons dont work with firefox.

any fix for this? no im not gonna use IE.

RGM-79(G)Pilot said:
the only thing i dont like is the fact that the browser back buttons dont work with firefox.

i'm getting this too... pretty damn annoying. when you hit the back button it displays the hourglass for like 1/4 second then does nothing.. it works fine in IE.

RGM-79(G)Pilot said:
i just got am mx1000, and i love it so far. i upgraded from my old, old logitech mouseman dual optical (it was litterally falling appart)

i like the design of the mx1000, and the sensitivity, along with button placement.

You could always use the mouse gestures extenstion for this.

where did you guys buy it? newegg still says ETA 9-10-4. amazon says shipping in 1-2 weeks... i'm itching to get this.

and is it as heavy as the mx700? that's the one big drawback i thought to the mx700.

oh, great "laser" still lol :D

i've seen it on the shelf at frye's electronics. thx for your insite on this curious product. ;)

I wonder when the wired version is coming out? I wish I had gotten an mx500 instead of a mx700 because of how heavy it is.

Yep, it lists for 69.99 I think on Logitech's website.

You can try Bizrate, Froogle, or Pricegrabber, I'm sure any of those will be able to find it for retail, or on sale for less.

I want one. Anyone willing to give me $70US will be my friend. :p

almost 20 bucks over msrp for a mouse = :mad: ...cmon newegg.
ill probally check out the local stores this week, hopefully ill catch a labor day sale. :p

ufokillerz said:
works with my mx700 base, too lazy to set up the new base heh.

I have the MX Duo and will this easily replace my mx700?

Does the new base work with the keyboard?

I'll just sell my MX700 :]

no frys where i live in north carolina :(

did a froogle search, found it for sale for 105$ at ebay. hell i can wait!

ruffz said:
i'm getting this too... pretty damn annoying. when you hit the back button it displays the hourglass for like 1/4 second then does nothing.. it works fine in IE.
I think I read of someone mapping it as a generic button and fixing this somehow... not sure if Firefox allows you to assign functions to generic buttons or if it'll simply work like that, I've just started using it (Firefox) this week... gotta say I like the speed, still getting used to a couple things. Love the tabs but I wish there was a kb command to switch between them (if there is I haven't stumbled upon it :p ).

About how much shorter is the MX1000 than the MX700? I love the lenght of the latter, one of the main reasons I like it's shape really... My freakishly long fingers could never rest comfortably on most other mouses.

The local CompUSA here has it for $85, they're selling the MX700 for $85 as well. The local CompUSA here in PR has some screwed up inventory (they never seem to lower prices on most old hardware, at all).

Riftgarde said:

I use my MX510 in my left hand even though it is for righties. I am one of those righties that mouse southpaw.
The MX1000 sounds good to me but I hope they will make another version that isnt wireless with the laser then I will buy it.

I doubt it, unless you have trouble mousing on any common surface within your desk area or seriously preffer the slightly tweaked shape.

the mouse is great, but the software sux. why doesnt logitech let you map buttons out per application like microsoft intellipoint software? is there some way to do this?

TZ1 said:
the mouse is great, but the software sux. why doesnt logitech let you map buttons out per application like microsoft intellipoint software? is there some way to do this?

Actually they have finally dealt with this- assign any mouse button you want to "keystroke", then hit the keyboard button you want it to be. Assign your game commands to that key, done.

They've had that for a while now, what we need is per application settings (that's what TZ1 is referring to).

I want to be able to use the buttons in Windows, and then have them set to keystroke for my games. Otherwise you need to keep manually changing them each time you're going to launch a game (or just not use those extra buttons in Windows).

@Sir-Fragalot

thx for reporting your experience! ... how does it works with fast shooters?? ('cause it is wireless)

@Dig1tal_Pr0be

absolutly great comment !!! :D muuuahaha

Doubt the bases are interchangeable like that, you could call and ask... Does anyone here know whatever happened to that mouse button function in Logitech's software that would let you pull up a small commands box?

At the press of a button a box about 1" by 1" would come up right where your mouse pointer was and it'd have 8 buttons within it; they were for minimize, maximize, close, right scroll bar, resize, bottom scroll bar, start, and umm... I forget the other one.

That function is extremely useful and time saving on my big screen when I used my Mouseman Optical (can't remember the exact name, the blue one with the transparent Logitech logo and the blue LED that lights thru), came mapped to the single thumb button.

I'm using a cheapo but newer Mouseman Clik at the moment on this 'puter and it doesn't seem to have that function within the control panel, wondering if it's somehow enabled on the MX series or if Logitech just threw it out of the software at some point.

man setpoint software is truly sucky. doom 3 doesnt even recognize the forward and back buttons as mouse 4 and mouse 5 buttons. if I dont install the setpoint software, then doom sees mouse 4 and mouse 5.

I don't know why left handed usres, like me are left out. Why is it so hard to build the exact same thing, but "rotate" the casting/mold/shape of the actual mouse 90 degrees. and no, I don't want to learn to use it with my right hand, it is as if I am being forced to write/do stuff with my right hand, it is very discreminatory. :mad:

Back