Logitech Releases new "GamePad" G13

The G18 looks kind of cool. In a totally no-practical-use-for-it-but-want-it-anyway sort of way.

i have a nostromo n52 which i use for fps.

i dont see this as better than that. all the issues i have with the nostromo are not adressed by this.

i want number keys in a row above w
i want more keys accessible by my very dextrous thumb. NOT LESS!
i have zero use for a screen, i have zero use for backlighting. you dont look at your kb during fps

it seems designed for mmo, but it doesnt lable the keys in a traditional mmo way. wtf is this thing for?

It fails because of clumping keys when the useful ones like the number keys, space bar, etc. are not properly implemented

What do you "pad" users do to switch weapons, as opposed to the number keys on a regular keyboard? I kinda want to try this thing, but with no keys above the movement keys, I'm not sure it'll work for me. Plus, it looks like the spacebar equivalent is pretty tightly placed where my thumb might feel a little cramped.

Mouse Scroll.

this is TOTALLY useless... what about all the macros u need if u play mmo

I've found there is quite a "Love it or hate it" relationship with these type of devices. Personally i use a n52 for Wow, and i love it, and i REALLY want to try out a g13.

As for "What about all the macros you need if u play mmo":

Ive played many classes on WOW, and so far i have not found a need for more keys than the n52 provides. Normally, i set it up so i have WASD moment, then 10 action bar buttons. I use the thumb button as ctrl, which in wow is a modifier to give you another 14 buttons, then if needed i can use the small round button as a alt which i use for pet controls, or ANOTHER 14 buttons. So far, ive not found a need to have more than direct access to 38 buttons.

Its not something you can just use without putting some effort into setup and teaching yourself how to use it. But once you do, its awsome. No more thinking about what button to click, or what hotkey i need to hit on my KB, its right there under my fingers.

A force sensitive joystick for movement would be very valuable. I think it's one of the few things a controller has over a mouse/keyboard when we talk FPS/RPG.

Remember that for many keypads like this (N52 line), you don't use the WASD keys for movement, you use the thumbstick. That way, say if you're playing a MMO, you bind all of your action bars to the rows of keys. I found these not really being /that/ much more helpful than a keyboard using standard WASD movement, but when you use the joystick things are much more useful.

I used the Nostromo N52 and I currently use the Fang gamepad
http://www.ideazon.com/us/products/fanggamepad.asp

I really liked the ergonomics of the N52 but the buttons wasn´t of the best quality. I also had problem with the spacebar sticking. Otherwise I could easilly reach all buttons. It had just enough buttons for me not missing anything and easy to remember the placement.

I got the Fang Gamepad which has more buttons for better and for worse. No back lit that is about the only thing I miss with it.

As for this for one it´s to bulky with it´s wrist support so I am not sure I will be able to use it on my cockpit. Otherwise though I like the backlit with every key identical it will take some time I suspect before I learn where every button are and what they stand for. As for the LCD display kind of a gimmick to me. I can´t really see much real world use of it that I can´t get from the big screen.

But well maybe it´s not bigger then the Fang gamepad and it would fit nice who knows? But 80$ which in europe will translate to 80 euro seems quite hefty. If just Fang could deliver a gameboard with backlit buttons and perhaps a suction cup or something to hold it on place. I have a buttkicker ;)

I wonder if logitech will allow LCD apps to change the background color. Think of having a LCD app for wow that changes the backlight from green to red as you take damage :D

You use ambx lightning for that. Much more effective... If it´s worth 150$ is another story but I think there was a price cut recently?

ambx does not seem to really be an option for someone who plays on a laptop or lans, if its integrated into the game pad, then it becomes more useful

No because you wouldn´t notice it enough. Would just be a pointless gimmick. Why is it flashing red here on the left when I can already see it on the screen? AMBX and others are around the screen so they just enhance upon what´s on it and somewhat creates an illusion that you play on a bigger screen.
If it´s not in combination of the screen lightning or powerful enough to colour the entire room it looses it´s effect.

don´t want to market AMBX to hard though. I more often then not forget to even turn it on for gaming even though it´s quite nice in many games.. I enjoy it for movies though and as a disco player for music.

If I would do it over I would probably get something similar to what a-r-e.nl has which take less desk space :)

No because you wouldn´t notice it enough. Would just be a pointless gimmick. Why is it flashing red here on the left when I can already see it on the screen? AMBX and others are around the screen so they just enhance upon what´s on it and somewhat creates an illusion that you play on a bigger screen.
If it´s not in combination of the screen lightning or powerful enough to colour the entire room it looses it´s effect.

don´t want to market AMBX to hard though. I more often then not forget to even turn it on for gaming even though it´s quite nice in many games.. I enjoy it for movies though and as a disco player for music.

If I would do it over I would probably get something similar to what a-r-e.nl has which take less desk space :)

Way to ignore the first part of my post!

In what way? It´s no more useful on a lap top you have the same problem

:slams head against desk:

Do you really expect a laptop or LAN person to take all the ambx equipment with them and set it up eveytime they want to play? If its already integrated into a device I'm going to carry with me ANYWAY, its more useful to me. Sure i may not look at it constantly, but at least it would be a nice effect.

I am sorry I can´t agree with you and I obviously understood you correctly the first time around :)

No I am not saying you should buy an ambx set and carry around you. I am saying you that it´s a total pointless gimmick having a little led light flashing red to the right of your peripheral vision or left. It won´t do anything. It won´t make it more immersive or give you any more information then what you get from your monitors.. I can bet that if they implement this feature you will come back and mention hey oqvist you where right it´s totally pointless and I wished I didn´t pay for this feature :)

It looks like they just cut off the middle portion of the g15 o.0

Been using a n52 for quite a while now.

I must say, I honestly doubt that anyone using a keyboard could control their character as effectively as I do with the n52 in WoW (using it as an example).

A n52 can do ANYTHING a keyboard can do, and so much more. I have not expaned upon my setup in WoW, simply because I don't have the need. I use three action bars with 10 binds each simultaneously, along with keys for things like my mount, putting pet on passive, putting pet on defensive, targeting the pet's target, anti-AFK macro, etc.

I do on occasion use my G15 for /tar macros (quick macro FTW)

I think my brother may pick one of these up.... Iw ill ask him what he thinks of it :)

wellllllllll.... I had this xmas $ and I was at frys.... and this G13 was sitting on the shelf... needless to say you can prolly all guess where it is now... I'm going to replace my wolf king warrior game pad with it.. so far I have only just put my hand on it and smacked the buttons around.. it feels very comfy and fits my hand well.. so far so good.. more after I test drive it on my pc for a while.

well, I only got a couple hours last night to play with the G13 but I like it a lot so far.. programming the keys for each game is very easy and the thing looks awesome.. feels great on the hand... I kind of wish the palm rest was softer, it's like really hard rubber, but oh well... the keys / buttons feel nice and solid.. creating macros is EZ, switching profiles is EZ, and the back lit color choices can be created from a color swatch! so any color in the visible spectrum. I think I have finally found a game pad I can use for everything and is a good aesthetic match for my setup!!! :cool:

That's great, revenant. Glad to see a real review of it. Checking the fry's site it doesn't seem to be available there, so its great to see a sighting in the wild. Unfortunately, being an East Coaster we aren't blessed with Fry's, which seems to be the closest thing to an enthusiast retail location, huh?

If anyone cruises by a Best Buy before me, let me know if these things are in stock there?

after a week I love this thing more and more each day... it's extremely comfortable for LONG gaming sessions.. stays put on the desk, has lots of buttons, easy programming, easy switching of profiles, looks slick.. yes a bit pricey for sure... I debated about buying it for a while.. walked around fry's thinking 80 bucks for a game pad?? but I am glad I bit on it..

anyone see this in stores yet? I want to see how it feels in my hand before dropping some money on it.

I've never liked gamepads, it just seems like a gimmick to me. I'm sure they're great for some people, but it just seems like they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I've never had a game that I played where I said to myself, "gee, this sure would be better with a gamepad." I'll stick to the good ol' keyboard, it's never failed me yet.

Agreed, and I still wouldn't call them gamepads, but as per the OP, I too would call them "gamepads" instead.

These are gimmicky, and I already have a keyboard with like 120 keys on it, all of which are perfectly working and easily accessible, and about 12 of them are programmable, so why would I need a separate keyboard with a fraction of the keys just to take up space.....for the sake of feeling "hardcore" or something?

... :( No Fry's Near Columbus, maybe ill try MicroCenter tomorrow

Agreed, and I still wouldn't call them gamepads, but as per the OP, I too would call them "gamepads" instead.

These are gimmicky, and I already have a keyboard with like 120 keys on it, all of which are perfectly working and easily accessible, and about 12 of them are programmable, so why would I need a separate keyboard with a fraction of the keys just to take up space.....for the sake of feeling "hardcore" or something?

To each there own, i like my N52!

It´s because the real keyboard is so awkward. Have to many buttons where not all is that easilly accessible and it´s harder to remember all the keys and easier to hit the wrong ones as well.

Instead of getting an expensive gaming keyboard with programmability but still crappy ergonomics you get one cheap gamepad instead for say 20$ and get rid of a bulky keyboard :).

It´s not for being hardcore it seems like the real hardcore stick with the old keyboard lol

I like having my game pad / mini board (what-have-you) equidistant from my mouse right on my desktop which is a nice clean config for me.. I then have my full kb for typing on a drawer under the desk, which I keep it rolled out just enough so I can quickly type messages to people while playing lotro... this way all of my peripherals are in perfect placement with each other so I can keep my body right in the center all the time and I don't need to move my kb over either to type on while I am not gaming.. I landed on this config after a lot of messing around with things.. it's so far the best for me personally... until I had gotten the G13 I was still searching for a "mini board" (because it is more than a game pad now) to properly compliment the setup.. I have a Saitek Cyborg in the drawer and use a DA for mousing.

Or they could have just made a better keyboard. But instead they released a keyboard with less g keys, so they could put them on a keypad that you can use with your keyboard.

Next, they can release a mouse that just moves the cursor that you have to buy along with another mouse that has the left/right click buttons.

Or they could have just made a better keyboard. But instead they released a keyboard with less g keys, so they could put them on a keypad that you can use with your keyboard.

Next, they can release a mouse that just moves the cursor that you have to buy along with another mouse that has the left/right click buttons.

You should send them your resume, I'm sure there's a market out there for your proposed mouse design, i mean if they'll buy these quasi-keyboards...then you never know.

It's a toss up between this and a N52. I like the styling of the N52. The G13 has more keys and configurable LCD coloring. My main concern with the G13 is the positioning of the thumb stick. It doesn't look comfortable/natural.

Back