Logitech Z-5500 $269 after $50 MIR

doyoumaking

Limp Gawd
Logitech Z-5500 @amazon.com

$319 - $50 MIR + Free Super Saver Shipping = $269 shipped

Pretty decent price for these awesome speakers.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn. I just bought new 5.1 computer speakers a couple months ago. Not nearly this good though! I haven't been able to find these things for under like $450 after tax and all that BS so I finally settled on some other speakers. This is very upsetting because now I think I might get these and sell my old ones just to cut my losses...

Not bad, but you might want to wait for a $180 deal at Dell, they do every now and then. That is when I got mine.

did they never upgrade the top of the line z5500?
I remember getting the dell deal for a friend for the z5500 about 6 years ago for about 140.

no it is all the same, I got mine 5 years back at an epic price for 150 bucks from mwave, don't know why they were so low. My sub blew out about 2 years back while I accidently plugged it from the wall without turning it off first, but logitech replaced the whole thing for me within three days. From the looks of it they still look like the same speakers. Probably the best speakers I have ever tried.

Back then there was a lot more competition from the likes of Creative, Klipsch, Harmon Kardon, and others for desktop 5.1 setups. These days, it's pretty much just Logitech, and not many people are buying anymore.

sad

I think I got myself the z5300e for about 60 dollars about 5 years ago.
always wanted the z5500 but I always like living in condos better
haha

I had some Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 several years ago and I prefered them to the Logitechs. To be honest, I didn't think it was really even close. Does Klipsch no longer make them? They are listed on the egg but unavailable.

I got mine from Craigslist for 200.00 and a trade for my Logitech x-540

Still have my Z5300s rocking; probably had them for more than five years, and probably will never replace them (until they die).

I got mine in early 2008 for ~$140. At the time, I remember people saying they weren't all that great compared to other good speakers (supporting what Sprtfan said). However, I'm very happy with them for the price I paid. I was renting a room at the time, and they worked great for PC and home theater speakers. I've since moved and picked up a real home theater system, but they're still great PC speakers. One of the projects on my to-do list is mounting up the front speakers on my monitor arms to get them off my desk.

Since then, the MSRP has gone from $300 to $400. Like nsx241 said, there seems to be less competition in this area, and fewer people buying this sort of thing. They either get cheap computer speakers or a good setup with an actual receiver, not a high-end set of PC speakers.

I personally prefer the sound I get out of a cheap Onkyo HTIB, so much clearer than the Z-5500s.

I just got these last week for 299 with free shipping :(

Oh well. Not gonna lie; I set them up last night, they're bad without a Toslink/optical cable. I was not impressed. I will be impressed, I'm sure, when I get them set up properly.

I got mine for $135 a few years ago. They aren't the greatest speakers in the world but they seriously rock for the price I paid. I probably won't upgrade unless they ever break.

I got'em like 5 years ago and they were only around $350 from what I remember then. It's crazy how popular these are and I'm surprised they're still Logitechs flagship speakers. I couldn't be happier with them and think they sound great at really high volume. All the way up though and you'll hear heavy distortion, but you'll also (almost literally) have bleeding ears if you attempt it.

Wow, these speakers are still selling. I bought them about 5 years ago and they're still kicking. Best ~$200 I ever spent and it was a silver lining that my previous speakers ($50 2.1 speakers) died b/c of a lightning strike, which prompted me to get these (and a good APC surge protector). :cool:

I highly recommend these speakers for anyone who wants great 5.1 computer speakers for the money.

I remember reading a review that said that these speakers are so good that it'll piss off deaf people. (The reviewer had a deaf next-door neighbor in his office. He pumped up the speakers, figuring that she couldn't hear them. She couldn't, but the thump caused all the frames to fall off her walls. :eek: )

Not bad speakers for the price...i have a set, sorta wish i had put the money into a better receiver for my bookshelves though, but at this price its hard to argue.

price seems high to me, its crazy that it costs more now than years ago, I have sceen them as low as $80 once, but didn't bother to pickup a second set cause I already had one and didn't have the spare money.

$400 is too much way too much. They are not that good. I mean for computer speakers they are pretty good for $250, IMO, but the SQ is not excellent for HT, although they are better than my HT is now! They work very well for bedroom or office HT / Surround sound though, and they are nice and small.

I just hooked them up in my office and ran the wires under the carpet between the tack strip and the wall. I used these stands to get them elevated and evenly spaced to create a better sound stage.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFYOL/ref=oss_product They mounted right up, you just have to squeeze the legs together slightly to get the botls through. You will need some bolts and nuts that fit through the holes in the z5500's feet. I can take pictures if anyone has to have them but a google search should reveal some as well.

I've had these for 6 years, bought them off mwave for $215 shipped. Never had any problems. Logitech is a great company.

Jeez, I'm still using my Z-680 logitech speakers, if anyone remembers those they were out before the these and were discontinued. Still holding up very well.

I still have my z-5300e's from about 5 years ago and they still work as good as when I first got them!! I would like to upgrade to the z-5500's and sell these though. Why haven't they come out with anything new in so many years? And basically every motherboard comes with 7.1 sound, why no 7.1 setup from Logitech?

Logitech Z-5500 @amazon.com

$319 - $50 MIR + Free Super Saver Shipping = $269 shipped

Pretty decent price for these awesome speakers.

I bought these for 170-190 (AR) 2.5 years ago. Great deals were so common, that there was speculation that Logitech was replacing them with a newer model (perhaps with BD support). Still no replacement and prices rarely drop as low.

I got lucky, I guess.

For those buying these, they're good for movies and games. They are not good speakers for music.

I had some Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 several years ago and I prefered them to the Logitechs. To be honest, I didn't think it was really even close. Does Klipsch no longer make them? They are listed on the egg but unavailable.

I heard both, Klipsch sub rattled at full base and Logitec hands down beat them from every angle, my friend had them and I heard them and had him turn them all the way up, and the higher he turned the the worse the more the speaker and sub rattled. I loved the logitech z5500 and wouldn't trade them for the Klipsch if someone wanted to. Just my personal opinion and I am sure the ones that one the z5500 will agree.

Jeez, I'm still using my Z-680 logitech speakers, if anyone remembers those they were out before the these and were discontinued. Still holding up very well.

I had the 680s before I picked up the 5500s. Blew the sub out while at college - spilled beer onto the amp and it blew the fuck out. Picked up the 5500s for $200 shipped from Amazon. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Hard to believe I've had them for 4 years.

sprtfan, the klipsch 5.1s are discontinued

I heard both, Klipsch sub rattled at full base and Logitec hands down beat them from every angle, my friend had them and I heard them and had him turn them all the way up, and the higher he turned the the worse the more the speaker and sub rattled. I loved the logitech z5500 and wouldn't trade them for the Klipsch if someone wanted to. Just my personal opinion and I am sure the ones that one the z5500 will agree.

im having a really hard time believing you, lol. friend of mine has the promedia 2.1s which are exactly the same except 2sats instead of 4+center...they sound much better than anything logitech has ever made IMO :p sats are clear, midtones might be a little too sharp but its nothing an equalizer doesnt fix. the only prob is that when you crank them up, the bass increases at a faster rate than the volume, so you have to tweak them in sound card cpl/equalizer...otherwise yeah it starts to warble. meanwhile the logitechs bass is not as tight, its almost like a buzzing instead of a thump...but hell either way these 5500s are nothing to sneeze at. my inspire set is crap, comparatively..

Why did Klipsch stop making their pc speakers anyway? It seems since that time everyone has stopped making newer model speakers. :-(

Still really considering going in for this deal. I wouldn't quality for the MIR but here in Canada Amazon doesn't even stock them and every time I'm in a Best Buy or similar store they can't be found for under $450-$500. Even on eBay all the complete sets are $400+ or missing parts. None on Craigslist under an hour drive either, and he still wants $300. These speaker's are definitely the IKEA Jerker desk of the PC audio world :(

If I sold my current x540's and Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers I might be able to smooth down the cost of these by another $100 or more if I'm really lucky. Not to mention I really need speakers like this that allow me to hook up multiple devices. Jerry-rigging my game consoles, TV and computer's to my x540's is WAAYY too much hassle and still involves too much unplugging and switching connections, etc.

Not that these speakers aren't great, but why hasn't Logitech offered a new flagship speaker system? Heck, car manufacturers offer new generations on a more frequent basis.

Not that these speakers aren't great, but why hasn't Logitech offered a new flagship speaker system? Heck, car manufacturers offer new generations on a more frequent basis.

Some argue it's because there's no point. There's nothing they can offer at a reasonable price that takes advantage of BD, so supporting lossless audio streams is pointless. All I know is that these have been out for at least 5 or 6 years--had a roommate that got them no later than the first half of 2005--so there's little doubt that these suckers are very profitable even at $200.00.

Its amazing how long these speakers have been in production. They've been out for a few years before I got mine in 2007.

They need to update them though for more digital inputs like HDMI and more optical inputs.

This is just about the single piece of hardware that was definitely worth the purchase for me. I remember getting these for below <200 back then though. But $269 shipped definitely sounds like a good deal.

This is just about the single piece of hardware that was definitely worth the purchase for me. I remember getting these for below <200 back then though. But $269 shipped definitely sounds like a good deal.

Yea. I got in on the Dell deal a couple years ago that was cheap... Haven't seen a deal like that since then though.

But these speakers are A+ for offices or bedrooms. I wouldn't use them for Home Theater purposes though.

Some argue it's because there's no point. There's nothing they can offer at a reasonable price that takes advantage of BD, so supporting lossless audio streams is pointless. All I know is that these have been out for at least 5 or 6 years--had a roommate that got them no later than the first half of 2005--so there's little doubt that these suckers are very profitable even at $200.00.
Yeah, it's a big profit maker now for Logitech since their costs will continue to go down but they can still charge the same amount (or more like they currently are). However, they're losing $ on the upgrade-aholics who are willing to upgrade all their components every few years, but can't upgrade their speakers since nothing in this price range is better, at least on the Logitech side.

I'd agree.

Back