Logitech Z-5500, Any Better?

wsgroves

n00b
The Logitech Z-5500 are still very good speakers for pc surround use.
Are there any 5.1 systems released since this that are actually better?
Most reviews I have read say that the upgraded logitech is not as good as this old set.

Thanks.

Not computer speakers... but you can do way better with a good value end 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and cheap speakers. Even a Onkyo NR509 and a few pairs of cheap Polk or Sony speakers will sound better than the Logitech by a mile.

And I'm no logitech hater, I loved the Z-5500s and the Z-680 before that... it's just that there has been nothing better since and now good quality discrete level receivers can be had for so cheap it's just stupid not to put together your own setup.

Thanks. Yea I have a nice paradigm monitor HT system, just didnt really want to go through the hassle of bringing a setup like that to my pc desk lol. My old Z-5500 system works great...was just wondering if there was anything pre made that came out since then.

There is the Logitech Z-906 which is basically the new flagship high-dollar speaker set from the company, but again for over $300 I just can't fathom spending that when for not much more you could do way better using discrete level gear. And I'm not even an audio snob, lol. :)

Problem is, from what I can tell, the new one is not even as good as the 5500 but yea, discreet is the route it seems to go.
My taste is too much to be getting into a pc speaker system lol.

Most reviews I have read say that the upgraded logitech is not as good as this old set.

Thanks.

Z-5500 are not good at all they are garbage unless you get them for like 200$ and you really want a 5.1 system.

If you have a good set of Z-5500's I would keep them. There hasn't been anything better in the PC speaker department since then, and the Z906's or whatever they're called are much MUCH worse.

If you don't have anything you're going to need to build a home theaterish setup for your PC if you want something good. Some of the Z-5500's had buzzing in the later years, probably due to lower quality components to keep the price down. If you don't have a good set already I wouldn't experiment with buying a discontinued set now.

I meant to come in here again yesterday and mention that Corsair does make some pretty sweet 2.1 setups, namely the SP2500. The sound is so balanced and easily blows away the Z-5500 so long as you don't care about surround audio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001

In my opinion that's about as good as you're going to get for 'PC speakers' save for the old Klipsch 5.1 setup (I forget the model number), and most of those are getting so old that they are failing left and right.

2 pairs of AV40s is what I use due to somewhat confined space. A center channel isn't needed in a small space and subwoofers are for punks.

I picked mine (Z5500) up from Dell on sale for $150 between 5-6 years ago. They've been great and there really hasn't been anything like them since, save the Z906. The PC multimedia surround sound speakers have been replaced by the HTIB setups. The only real disadvantages to those is they rarely have discrete analog inputs, which is a pity as most often the quality of the analog outputs on a dedicated sound card is pretty good.

Ditch overpriced Logitech junk and go with some monitors , amp and a dac.

Will easily beat the pants off any kind of "computer speakers" you'll find.

2 pairs of AV40s is what I use due to somewhat confined space. A center channel isn't needed in a small space and subwoofers are for punks.

AV40's need a sub if you are going to listen to music, A lot of stuff happens below 80hz.

Don't get me wrong they do sound good, Just They have no volume down low.

AV40's need a sub if you are going to listen to music, A lot of stuff happens below 80hz.

Don't get me wrong they do sound good, Just They have no volume down low.

I don't know what the exact numbers are but I assure you that they respond substantially below 80hz. I've never been a bass hound, which is why I am ok with the AV40s. If there were only two of them maybe it would be different but with 4 I find I can dial in as much bass as needed in the very small room (100 square feet) they occupy. The only time I might want a subwoofer is for gaming and movies, definetly not music. Subwoofers have always sounded very unmusical to me.

The AV40 are rated 85hz to 20khz and that's about where they stand realistically. If you flip the bass boost switch you can get them to peek into the 60hz range but below that there isn't much meaningful response. As the poster above me said they are ok if you aren't a bass junkie. And they are actually ok for casual gaming - but for movies you REALLY want a sub if you can make it happen.

Thanks.

I don't know how good the z5500 sounded, but the z906 has a very good sub, controller & remote. The sub sounds deep, clear & sharp, but the sats sounded like little tin cans. I only found that out because I bought some new Polk monitor 30s bookshelf speakers for my living room & I swapped the z906 sats with my living room speakers as well for a comparison. If I didn't do that I'd be living in PC speaker kit bliss, but after hearing good speakers, I got a Polk RM-75 five speaker kit & I use those with the z906 sub now. So to answer your question no 5.1 kit has complete good sound, but the z906 kit is ok if you replace the sats down the road. Like when the Egg has a good 5 speaker kit sale for $120.

I don't know how good the z5500 sounded, but the z906 has a very good sub, controller & remote. The sub sounds deep, clear & sharp, but the sats sounded like little tin cans. I only found that out because I bought some new Polk monitor 30s bookshelf speakers for my living room & I swapped the z906 sats with my living room speakers as well for a comparison. If I didn't do that I'd be living in PC speaker kit bliss, but after hearing good speakers, I got a Polk RM-75 five speaker kit & I use those with the z906 sub now. So to answer your question no 5.1 kit has complete good sound, but the z906 kit is ok if you replace the sats down the road. Like when the Egg has a good 5 speaker kit sale for $120.

I agree with Dantrax. I've had the Z5500 for 4 or 5 years. Got them from ZZF deal when they were $130. Difference is that I was using the Z5500 as my living room home theater. Recently, I tested replacing the satellites w/the Onkyo SKS-HT540. They sounded so much better w/those that I ended up keeping the Onkyo speakers (they were purchased for my nephew from NE for $150). Also I got the upgrade bug and ended up getting a full receiver (Onkyo HT-RC360) and parting with my Z5500 altogether.

The Z5500 were great for what they were for me, during college and in a smaller space. Now that I'm in a house and have the space, it was time to upgrade. But like Dantrax said, if you want even a bit better performance, look at replacing the satellites. Something like the Onkyo's I got or even the Energy's that are often on sale at NE would make a big difference.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know what the exact numbers are but I assure you that they respond substantially below 80hz. I've never been a bass hound, which is why I am ok with the AV40s. If there were only two of them maybe it would be different but with 4 I find I can dial in as much bass as needed in the very small room (100 square feet) they occupy. The only time I might want a subwoofer is for gaming and movies, definetly not music. Subwoofers have always sounded very unmusical to me.

You've obviously never heard a good sub. IMO, if the content is there, I'd like to hear it.

You've obviously never heard a good sub. IMO, if the content is there, I'd like to hear it.

This, Many large drums in a orchestra are lower than 60hz, I didnt have av40s with the bass boost so they didn't go below 80.

Back