Logitech Z-640 Vista 64bit right-rear speaker problem

Hello everyone,

I have the Logitech Z-640 5.1 sound system. Ever since I upgraded to Windows Vista Business 64-bit, I haven't been able to get any sound out of my rear right speaker. My rear left speaker, however, works perfectly. I verified that the speaker is not dead as well as well by swapping the speaker inputs.

Both Vista and the sound manager have a 5.1 setup selected, and I set Vista to "Fill Speakers" under the enhancement section. Winamp is set to the proper hardware output and hardware acceleration is enabled.

Just for the record, I am using an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard and the on-board Realtek HD sound manager. I got the most updated driver from Abit's website.

Now, here is the strange thing. When I "test" the sub woofer, I get a bit of a sound out of the rear right speaker - almost a sort of attenuated signal. When I click on the rear right speaker, I hear nothing (not even from the sub woofer).

Does anyone have any ideas? This is rather frustrating, and I didn't have this problem with my old PC in Windows XP. Thanks in advance!

Try using the latest drivers from the Realtek site, not Abit's site.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Realtek updates their audio drivers quite often, sometimes two or three times in a month. Abit and the other motherboard manufacturers sometimes don't update their drivers for YEARS.

Whenever possible, you should always get your motherboard drivers from the actual chipset providers and not the board manufacturer.

The obvious question, you do have them plugged in correctly? I've done it a million times. Thought I had them in the correct input and had something reversed.

wierd.. i just started having the same exact problem.

x-fi sound card, 64bit vista SP1 RC1

maybe a recent update to windows screwed it?
its pissing me off..

I was having the same problem with my left-front speaker. It ended up being the speaker plug that goes into the sound card. After some fidgeting with it into the sound card, the speaker started playing again. Perhaps it is your connection and nothing at all with software?

I was having the same problem with my left-front speaker. It ended up being the speaker plug that goes into the sound card. After some fidgeting with it into the sound card, the speaker started playing again. Perhaps it is your connection and nothing at all with software?

It turns out this is exactly the problem. It turns out that the wires themselves that connect to the speaker are making horrible contact. I know how to solder and do electronics work, but have never opened up a speaker jack like this. If I cut open the "boot", is there an easy way to reattach the wires to the jack and make a solid connection?

It turns out this is exactly the problem. It turns out that the wires themselves that connect to the speaker are making horrible contact. I know how to solder and do electronics work, but have never opened up a speaker jack like this. If I cut open the "boot", is there an easy way to reattach the wires to the jack and make a solid connection?

Working on computers can make you often overlook the simplest things. :) Sounds like Logitech has issues with their audio plugs since there is several of us having the problem.

Anyhow, yeah you can fix it yourself quite easily. I personally just wrapped the wire around the plug once to give it some pressure since I never move my computer. You can fix it permanently - make a trip to your local electronics store (like Radio Shack, etc etc) and pick up a new plug and splice a new one in. At most should cost you a dollar or two? You could even find an old pair of headphones and cut them apart. Make sure you get a STEREO plug or you will still only be getting one side. :eek:

Working on computers can make you often overlook the simplest things. :) Sounds like Logitech has issues with their audio plugs since there is several of us having the problem.

Anyhow, yeah you can fix it yourself quite easily. I personally just wrapped the wire around the plug once to give it some pressure since I never move my computer. You can fix it permanently - make a trip to your local electronics store (like Radio Shack, etc etc) and pick up a new plug and splice a new one in. At most should cost you a dollar or two? You could even find an old pair of headphones and cut them apart. Make sure you get a STEREO plug or you will still only be getting one side. :eek:

Good idea, I'll pick another one up at the rat shack.

I know this is an old topic, but I was having a similar issue recently. First my front right stopped playing. I didn't think too much of it... I actually changed the L/R on all of my speakers to make up for the lost sound coming from that corner of my desk. Today my back right went dead, and my back left had a lot of static coming from it. So I swapped jacks to verify the speakers weren't dead. Then I thought maybe something was going wrong with my subwoofer, where all the speakers are plugged into. I wasn't really sure what to do from there. I was just upset that my sound went to shit (can't have Xpand Surround with 2 functioning speakers).

So I Googled (first looked up speaker lifespan, and since mine are on their 4th year, they should still last quite a bit longer) and ran into this...

And that was my problem, the plugs were coming loose on the sound card.

oh how yes we do overlook the simplest things. :eek:

Back