Logon / Logoff Script

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Hey,

I am starting to play with logon and logoff scripts, and I haven't done much scripting. Anyone have any good references for DOS batch scripting or would you recommend using VBScript?

Any helpful tips, tricks or websites are appreciated.

-DVA

What exactly do you want to accomplish? If its just some basic tasks, a DOS batch file is probably fine. However, if you want something to do more complex things, VB Script might be easier to understand and find info on.

Basically we're going to be mapping the network shares, NAV parent discovery for the NAV CE server, and print queues / printer mapping. I don't know anything else besides that so far.

-DVA

I'm no expert, but I would say go with VB Script... you'll probably want for someone else to weigh in, though...

I would say VB Script since it has more power/features to it than a regular bat file. I used to use bat files for our login scripts, but have since converted them. I now map drives based on group membership, retrieve registry settings and computer information all via login script.

I have nver used it as I dont really like windows, but my boss swears by http://www.kixtart.org/

We use it at my workplace (school) with around 20 network printers, and about 500 client stations, and it works great for mapping drives and such, especially for printers

I guess we'll start with a basic DOS batch file while I pick up on some VBScript.

Anyone know if there will be any adverse effects if I initially use batch scripts and then move to a fresh hand-coded VBScript?

Thanks for everyone's input!

-DVA

there is a book i have yet to crack open called windows 2000 scripting guide. i think it is mostly vbscript, and it goes over a lot more than you'll ever need for a logon script. sorry i can't be more informative about the book, but like i said i haven't gotten a chance to start on it since i got it. seems worth looking into though.

Back