lol. a really good or a realyl stupid idea?

xphantg0d

Gawd
Can you overclock a subwoofer?

I just thought of this. Is this possible? Has it been done before?

What do you mean when you say overclock. You can play around with the ohms and wattages, im not really understanding what you mean by overclocking. I most of what i could think of would be more like modding instead of overclocking. but there are things you can do electirically, so once you clarify your question, i'll be happy to share with you.

go plug your sub directly into a 120v outlet and tell us how it sounds

seriously though, overclocking doesent really apply in any way shape or form to speakers / audio. readup on how speakers work and youll see why thats crazy talk

Speaker sets are not generally designed like cpus and gpus. They are usually not designed with any headroom because even an advanced user cannot really adjust much on the plate amp. On a processor you can throw all kinds of cooling on to crank the core higher. You also have warning signs like hangs and artifacts. On a speaker, when you throw more volts and watts at it there isn't much room for heat to dissipate, and there are no warning signs that it is being damaged until the sound goes bad, which is almost cirtainly too late.

I have actually done this with my Cerwin Vega! speakers. you can put better insulation in on the cone. you can put some (marginal) better cooling on the amp. Thats why I said this would be more like modding than overclocking. if clarity is what you are after, you can always put different filters on the sub that allow you to narrow down or widen the range of hz that it will reproduce. Change resistors to higher quality ones. but again this is more like modding than overclocking.

Theoretically, you CAN overclock/cool your subwoofer. The idea is to add insulation to prevent overheating/burning and also setting a volume high enough for a long sustained amount of time without BURNING. For me I have tested my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's and I have accidently overclocked too much which killed it. I was at Volume 65 out of 80 playing speedcore music (which is very bassy...).

Another way to "overclock" is to replace the cones for a more powerful one and make the springs inside more stronger. It will help sustain longer period of music playing.

-J.

put a slk900 and a 92mm tornado on it, and set the FSB to 10000, ok? :D

GeForceX said:
Theoretically, you CAN overclock/cool your subwoofer. The idea is to add insulation to prevent overheating/burning and also setting a volume high enough for a long sustained amount of time without BURNING. For me I have tested my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's and I have accidently overclocked too much which killed it. I was at Volume 65 out of 80 playing speedcore music (which is very bassy...).

Another way to "overclock" is to replace the cones for a more powerful one and make the springs inside more stronger. It will help sustain longer period of music playing.

-J.

Actually, you must have done something seriously retarded, because the control pod on the 5.1 run on a log scale. So 65 is really not even half of the availible wattage from the amp. There is also a protection circuit that prevents to much wattage or voltage from leaving the amp. Also, adding a spring will so absolutely nothing because the coil that is inserted into the permanent magnets is hollow and fits into a slot. There simply is no room for the spring. I would also lower the output because the driver, while on its way to the resting position would encounter the spring and be prevented from returning to a rest position. This will lower the excursion and prevent air from being forced though the port. There is nothing out there that will prolong a speakers playing time besides carefull operating and extra cooling for the drive coils of the cones, which will melt if your amp is clipping too long or if it is having way too much power being applied to it.

Back