LOL! My new WD RE2 1TB drive shows only as 33MB

XS Janus

Limp Gawd
I mean come on already! ...me and my God given luck...

First my WD 500GB GP drive arrives DOA and now this. My build will NEVER be complete. They continue to bit the dust!

I have 8 WD1000FYPS drives intended for my Raid5 array, I'm testing how everything works for some time now. And everything was going fine.

Yesterday a drive on port3 dropped with "power on restart" failure given by 3ware controller.
I tried to rebuild but it kept doing the same in a loop.
Tried to switch ports with another drive... No go, still the same drive gives errors.

So, I DL the WD diag tools and it reported nothing's wrong although the the tests were finished in 2sec time:rolleyes:. I mean come ON wd, those are you own drives.:rolleyes:
So, I wrote zeroes to "entire" drive and what do I notice: the drive is a whooping 33MB in size.:eek:

After that debacle I tried Seatools and it reports error when doing a "short generic" test it fails when doing "outer" region test.

Sure enough: bios, and disk management all see it as a 33Mb drive, you can even format it... I have to see if I can bench it, though:D

DAMN, all this.
But I guess I could consider myself lucky for not loading my data on it already:rolleyes:Yeah quite lucky...

sry for ur bad luck. i have yet to have problems from any of the 8 WD drives i have owned in my life

This officially makes my drive a candidate for Guiness book of records for the worlds most expensive storage!
10000$/GB :D:D

I feel your pain. RMA time..

I had 2 out of 7 WD drives fail on me. Total corruptions, nothing but expensive storage retrieval could save the data. So I still have them here for when I have $8000 to blow on that..

Great price calculation btw LOL :D

Ah damn.
I just sent it to RMA. I would have tried those if I knew about them. Thanks anyway.

My drive became limited to 33MB not gigabytes. And that after controller kept reporting power on reset error for that drive.
Seatools also reported failed test on Short Generic test during Outter scan.

I've ran all my other drives through WD diag extended test and all went well. Each drive took about 4.5h to test. I will try and work those a hard some more to see if any other is a weak link.

Any other tool I could test the drives with for weaknesses and bad sectors?

I had the same thing on a build i was doing not long ago, on the upside the transfer rates were awesome, probably as 32MB was being cached :)

Wow 33MB... was this drive MFM, or RLL? ;)

At least that's still more capacity that the first HD I ever owned (a 20MB Seagate on a $4000 286 10MHz system).

Back