Looking for 22"W and Glossy.

aarong50

n00b
Anyone have a list or a few recommendations for a 22" widescreen that is glossy like the crystalbrite or brightview? I am searching and having a hard time coming up with something.

Jesus... 390$ for a 22" display? You can get a Samsung 226BW for like 70$ less up front.
Better go to pricegrabber eh?

But we have only one review, the one raving from CC. That's all. I trust we should know much more before biting the bullet. Yeah, $390 is a bit steep. However, with the 10% coupon (available from eBay at 1.99), the price would go down by $39 + the local tax which in Virginia is 5%. Still, for me it'll be a good $370, not exactly inexpensive. Tomorrow I'm going to CC to see it hoping that it'll satisfy my finiky tastes. It'd be nice if HP came out with a good follower of the w19b which image wise beats hands down all nonglossy monitors in its category. I am also hoping that CC will come out with a nice price cut, with the coupon (lasts till May 31) stackable on top of it :)

I hope it has a better panel than all the 22" out there right now. I think this is the only 22" that has a portrait mode and as far as looks, this is the best so far i've seen from all the 22 inchers out there. I guess i have to go to CC to actually test it in person.

That was the one I was looking at but hadn't seen too many reviews. Probably will be ordering this pretty soon. If I do get it I will post as many pics as my server will hold for everyone.

Agreed. It was so nice to go from a CRT to a nice matte LCD.

I wasn't critising his choice; i, too, am considering getting a monitor (NEC20WGX2) with a glossy screen but i don't know if i'm buying it for the right reasons.

Is that HP the same TN panel thats been out for months or a new (not-TN) panel?

As promised, I went out to the closest CC from my residence (2.4 miles :)). They didn't have it on display, however, they had one in stock which I took home. So far so good. I am sure in 2 months time it'll go down 30-40dollars, but I got very tired surfing the Sammy 226 threads and, besides, was very much itching for a change from the 4.5 years old 15in flat that I bought in December 2002.

For the 2 short hours that the monitor has been on, I can say that:

1. Letters and other characters are awsome.
2. To see everything so wide is awsome
3. Colors are good, but not yet calibrated, though I cannot complain about factory settings.
4. There's some bleeding at the lower 20% of the panel, but I can more than live with it, even if I am very sensitive towards it.
5. Movies are very good.
6. I am not a gamer so will not be able to say anything at that chapter.
7. Glossiness doesn't bother me at all, though it bothered me very much with CRTs.

I transformed a very well ventilated closet into a computer room. I keep the door open so the closet gets very good indirect ambient lighting during the day. The monitor is facing the door, but it's in the back of the closet about 4.2 feet away from the door. I also project a high intensity bulb's lighting, switched to its low level, onto the monitor from my right side so that the light doesn't reflect back from the monitor. The monitor's brightness is factory set to 80%, a very good number (for me). In this way there's little reflection from the monitor. I can barely see myself in it when popping up the old DOS screen (total black, well, close to the power of a TN anyway).

Obviously, everything is new and it'll take some time till most of the things will be ironed out. The video card in my graphics/movie editing computer is a Radeon 9250 with 128 MB. However, its was a cheap one I paid only $34.50 for it, so it's not your fancy gear. But then again, had I had the money, I would have bought a 24 incher. Concluding, so far I think this one will work out just fine.

John.

Forgooooooooot!!! Bumer :mad: ************************** NO DIGITAL CABLE ***************************** :mad:

Thanks for your honest opinion. I appreciate it very much. And to the guy who asked about glossy my question is why would you want matte? Im not a gamer and I love glossy lcds on laptops so thats why.

sylva! Glad you found a 22" Monitor that you liked.I know that you have been searching awhile.Time to start up a HP Thread and see who else has been buying Hp.If it wasnt for already owning two 22" monitors (LG-L226WT & Sam 226BW) i would consider the Hp.I own two Hp computers and it would of been a nice match.Good Luck!Post some pics somewhere if you have a chance.PS! Much better stand than the Sammy and LG.

In my opinion, matte LCD's are best for watching movies, TV, & games which typically have alot of dark backgrounds. When viewing dark frames on a glossy LCD, the reflections & glare really obscure the image & strain the eyes.

Laptops all have glossy screens because most people use them for work, which don't have many dark frames. Thus, the reflections & glare is not as noticeable. Glossy LCD's are great for this application.

Comparing the glossy monitors to the glossy LCD HDTV's, they are not nearly as reflective. But with price difference of $1500, it makes sense that the HDTVs have a much better coating. I can only wish someday they'll put that same coating on a monitor. *sigh*

Sorry! I made an error!The Hp w2207 is HDCP ready. I looked too early in the day!wasnt too awake yet.I like the hp w2207 style better anyhow.

I like glossy because it's easier to wipe smudges off the screen.

I have the HP w19b and don't regret it. I wish it was HDCP.

The black is very black!!

Are glossy screens still good for gaming, like FEAR for example, as long as you're playing in low-light conditions?

Just ordered one of the HP W2207 from HP 380 with free shipping. I will post a bunch of pictures when it arrives.

This writing will be addressed to everyone here, since there are too many names to mention.

Indeed, I agonized enough. I had to buy it because I got tired of the enormous waste of time researching the damn thing. You know, after awhile that odious 'paralysis by analysis' necessarily sets in.

Yeah, it's HDCP capable. Otherwise I wouldn't have even considered it. My main starter was the w19b which is an awsome little monitor. However, remember that the w2207, though very crisp, will not outperform its 19 inch counterpart at viewing angles, color and sharpness due to the ratio between dimentions and resolution. To add to my previous writing:

1. Viewing angles must be dealt with carefully. My monitor's lower 1/3 exhibits lighter colors than the upper 2/3s. This may lead to my returning the monitor and go through the hassle of waiting for a batch of new shipments. This variation may just be specific to my present monitor, or afflicting an entire production batch. It's not very bad, but it's quite noticeable, making the characters' color at the bottom of the panel look somewhat washed out. Here too, there is some color bleeding. For instance, if you look at the above egg green banner, the green background at some points spills onto the white characters. Stanleyjohn, does this happen on the Sammy or LG as well?

2. I don't know what coating HP used, it's of course noticeable, but quite tame.

3. At 6500K I lowered the Red to 198 and both Green and Blue to 224. Colors are better but still somewhat unnatural, especially yellow. 'T looks like I won't be able to get away from the Spyder. However, no money allocated for it just yet. Here the problem is that you either chose Reddish or Bueish desktop, no graduations between the two.

4. Absolutely NO dead or stuck pixels. The EizoTest looks beautiful.

5. Stanleyjohn, the stand surpasses many other raiser/rotating ones, imho. It's enormously sturdy and versatile.

6. Vertical and horizontal viewing angles are limited. I've seen better at lesser quality monitors.

7. Quality of manufacturing and design as well as packing are exceptional. Much care went into them for this monitor. It's just great pleasure to look at it.

8. As I said already, movies look very good, but the jury is still out as far as full screen occupancy when running under the 16x10 standard. And background after full calibration which I won't attempt without a colorimeter. I'm afraid that will happen faster when one of you will have had the monitor and bought one of the calorimeters of their choice.

9. Ah, and the power button, guess what, it's on top of the tray that houses the panel, out of site, a great ergonomic thought!

10. No way back to the 4:3 standard, this is soooo much better.

Question: Stanleyjohn, how is your monitors' uniformity, that is, do you see characters and icons at the same contrast, that is, do you see them equally well at the top as well as bottom? Very curious.

11. I have the monitor connected to two computers. One has a card with only 8 Megs memory, the other with 128. Neddless to say, the 128 is much better. However, since HP was courteous enough to not pack a DV cable, everything is on analog, for now.

************** HP, are you reading this? For a monitor at $390 you should have shipped it with a DVI cable. Yeah, there's an audio cable. Who needs it? **************

12. Tilting the monitor is very difficult.

13. Very importantly, you MUST install the drivers AND the .INF files on the computer. Otherwise you'll end up with weird colors, shades and banding.

14. Buttons are quite good, easy to touch and effective, well placed, imho. The menu is simple and concise. I had no problems going through it (didn't need the manual) and discovering what choice does what.

15. I am still not finished with and looking at things that may be missing for complete installation. Will have to order a DVD cable. It's a must, for configuration will never be finished without seeing whether a DVD cable would make any difference.

This is it for now. Remember, though monitors like every other industrial product are manufactured to the same specs, there are individual differences. Some of you in the future may raise other issues equally valid. Also, our eyes are not the same, so what I observed at my monitor may not raise the same questions by others, and vice versa.

Signing off now.

John.

Hello sylvia!
In the short time that i have owned these two monitors!the only thing i see on both monitors that people here have talked about as a problem is the backlight bleed which isnt really that great.All other problems like uneven brightness,lagging,poor colors,etc i have not seen or they may be present but i dont see it.I have been real happy with both so far.I took a few pics of my Sammy 226 and LG 226.im still learning to take better pics so these are still not that great!If You or anyone sees any problems with the pics (except for bad shots) let me know.I think the text color (yellow) is correct on the sammy but alittle off on the LG!if so ill need to adjust.ypu can tell which monitor is which by looking at the power button.>sam,lg,sam,lg

I think most of the viewing issues I outlined in my previous posts were ironed out in the past day and 1/2 or so. Unfortunately I don't own a digital photo set, so can't provide you with pics. The remaining issues are as follows:

1. Colors, still not by far what I want. They're better now but some of them, particularily greens and yellows, are too saturated. Ditto light red. They look very unnatural. Something that I won't be able to deal with is low resolution graphics. They look terrible on this monitor. Does anyone know whether Microsoft's sample pictures found in Vista are downloadable to be viewed in all of their 32 bit OSs? Those pics are benchmarks for comparing monitors, or at least I used them as such.

2. Some if not all 12 pica bold fonts are not very good on this monitor. I don't yet know the reason. Some look incomplete, but one can see that all point are there, however they are dimmer. Others narrow at curvatures even though they aren't stylized.

3. When coupled to a KVM, and switching between computers occurs, the colors change and part of the background goes red brownish. Well, the KVM is not electronic so it cannot remember all of the monitor's data. However, the monitor is supposed to recalibrate itself to the data that it gets from the particular video card's bios. That it surely does, but not well or I don't yet know what to tweak to get it to do better. Interestingly, the old Sammy 15 incher did not have this problem, but then again, it didn't have the complexities of the 22 incher either.

4. Again, the stand is totally great, but bulky. This obviously is not a problem with me.

In any case, I am eagerly waiting to hear from those of you who had the audacity to follow my pioneering footsteps :).

I agree with those who think that the CC review is a fake. But, imho, the monitor is beginning to demonstrate that it's quite good. I ordered a DVD cable from CompUsa (Belkin, $10, 6 feet, shipping $5 + local tax). Shame on HP for not including it with the monitor. It's also aggravating because one cannot DVD check the monitor immediately.

To be sure, this monitor needs quite a lot of work to bring it up to its optimal performance, but I think it will be well worth it. It already looks great. It's not for the average coputer user from this point of view.

Stanleyjohn had suggested a separate thread for the w2207. If you think we should move the content of this one to a new thread just tell me.

Anyway, talk to you later.

John.

i saw this monitor on display at costco but it was bundled wtih an HP desktop.. I think its just a personal preference for me that i see glossy monitor as better than mathe.

i also read online that its available at fry's and bestbuy. i asked my wife to pick it up for me today at CC using the 10% off coupon they emailed me. just hoping the price wont go down by more than $50 in 2 months.. =(

is the HP w2207 the same monitor as the HP w2007, I just got the second of the two and love it, wondering if its the same despite the size difference.

this display is great .. i had the sceptre 22" with hdmi for almost 6 months every time i compare it to my laptops glossy image quality, sceptres picture just look inferior..

i decided to return it to costco and get this glossy w2207 timing .. vivid colors sharp lines the pixels are not diffused by the screen's coating... watching movies wow just like watching on a plasma screen with smaller pixels... you just have to see it for yourself and compare it with the other 22" lcd. the stand is very inovative and stylish one of a kind.. hinge style you can actually tuck away you keyboard under the screen, because of the stands clever design..

why did they wait this long to come out with a glossy 22" they had a poll on the notebook forum and they ask if they prefer matthe or glossy finish .. it was 50 / 50.. more than 90% of laptops now are glossy, I wonder why its very hard to find a desktop display that is glossy? only time will tell if consumer would demand for more glossy screen. thumbs up to HP and i used to not like their products =)

Today I got the digital cable from Radio Shack. They're different from the past, delivering a very high quality product in 3 days (FedEx). Anyhow the picture is breathtaking with vivid colors, and not unnatuaral. My gripe about yellow rendition is gone. But even the cheap, 4 and 8 meg cards on my other computers, produce great picture with this monitor. Movies are great after tweaking contrast in Media Classic.

Foz2001: this monitor is 22" not 20 like the w2007. I hope HP is working on a 24" glossy TN monitor.

Alfred: About 3 weeks ago I wrote a letter to HP's CEO with similar contents. At that time I didn't know about HP's new glossy fleet. His answer was wishy-washy and with very good reason, since little did I know that 3 weeks later I'll be buying his newest glossy monitor.

With movies I still got the classical problem: Because of the 16/10 format, there are those 1 1/2 inch horizontal stripes above and below the image, thus the monitor loosing about 20% of its real estate. Anyone know whether there's a remedy or some software that will do away with this calamity?

Further, if the files are not too big, can anyone please send me their Vista sample pictures (I still have only XP) to [email protected]? I'd be much obliged.

John.

Back