Looking for 32"-37" lcd for monitor

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for an upgrade for my build along the lines of a 32" or 37" lcd. I've just got this gaping space in the corner around my current AOC 23" and its really bothering me LOL

I sit far enough away from the corner of the desk since I have a keyboard tray that pulls out so that really isn't a problem with going all the way to 37"

I've really been looking at the Vizio line as they have great picture quality over many other tvs in my opinion. Including Samsung.

I took a trip to Target yesterday to compare the Razor LED (which is edge lit) to the standard lcd. Unfortunatly they had the tvs locked to a stupid retail mode which has the colors and crap all jacked up. So I had to take a mental picture of the led which actually was adjusted properly and then go to Walmart and look at the ccfl versions.

I read the breakdown review of the difference in the LED full back lighting without manual zone adjustment, Led full back lighting with manual zone adjustment, Led edge lighting, then standard ccfl lcd.

From their comparisons the standard ccfl and full led back lighting with manual adjustment are the best models to deal with. They had complaints that the light tubes on the edge lit screens caused the blacks to be shadowed out to a gray state on the edges. Which I didn't notice. So I believe ViZio has something other companies don 't which is probably why they are ranked #1 in LCD TV's

The problem I have with the LED counterpart is the cost vs size difference over the lcd counterpart. I didn't notice any overall quality difference in the picture. (The LED was 32" the ccfl lcd was 37") Great way to compare Target. (Target could care less about TV's and how they market them. Signs hanging in front of them and falling down. Stupid store display shelves with red paper over them causing them to have braces running in front of the TV screens. Its a real mess and someone should fix that crap. Not to mention they shouldn't have settings locked out so you can't actually see what a tv should look like,)

What I did notice is the led had a richer brightness over the lcd. (but what do you want when its on a dim retail setting and you can't manually adjust anything) Which is why I took a trip to walmart afterwards. The thing with Walmart and Target is: Walmart sells the lower class versions of everything. Where Target sells the upper class items.

So the 4 HDMI version (E370VA) that Target has for $469.99 is countered with the 2 HDMI version (E370VL) at walmart for $448. With the E370VA having a 50,000:1 1.06 Billion colors and a 60,000 bulb lift until half. Its counterpart E370VL has 100,000:1 only 16.7 Million colors a slower response time as well as 10,000 less bulb life. Although using a whopping 4W less power on average.

Now the problem with going to target is their extended warranty. What kind of marketing trash is their warranty. Yea sure its only $45 bucks for 3 years. AWSOME RIGHT?

WRONG! Its in effect at time of purchase. Which you have to purchase it with the TV. So The first year is pissed away at the same time as the manufactures warranty. So your really paying for a 2 year extended warranty. PATHETIC! Now Walmart instore warranty is for two years. I didn't look at when its in effect considering online for $43 you can get a 3 year extended that kicks in after the manf warranty. Which is how an extended warranty works. You can't call it a said year extended warranty if one year goes away the same time the manufacturers warranty is in effect.

So because of the cheap cost in the warranty and the fact this is only being used for a game computer and maybe my spare 360 that's collecting dust in the office from time to time I think its more feasible to settle for the lower class versions as I will only need 2 HDMI cables anyway. Although I have my eye on a different LCD from walmart online which is the (V0370M) 3 HDMI 15,000:1 (Does the Contrast really matter that much?) 1.06 billion colors 5ms response Doesn't have smooth motion like the counterpart at Target (don't know if this is going to matter for my use or not) The downside is it sucks up 110W on average. So that's misleading.

I just really don't know which way to go. I want to be able to get a decent warranty that isn't twice as much as elsewhere. I refuse to use Samsung. I've seen too many of their screens have problems and I have had terrible experience with their RMA dept in the past. The term you get what you pay for doesn't rely on their company!

The thing about LED is the bulbs are rated to last half the time as the ccfl bulbs before they go to half their original brightness. And for most of the CCFL tvs out they don't really use too much less watts.

The screens I have had my eyes on are:
M320NV Target (Fake extended warranty)
XVT232SV Sams Club (unsure warranty as I don't have a membership, but for the savings I would pay the $40 to get one LOL.)
M370NV Target (Fake extended warranty)
V0370M Walmart (3 year extended warranty)
E370VA Target (Fake extended warranty)
E370VL Walmart (3 year extended warranty)

Of course I would look around at time of purchase for the best bang for the buck, but honestly price, quality, value, warranty are all of concern. This build has been doing nothing but going up in price so I would like to cap it off at $650ish and 37" as the max.

If anyone has any other recommendations for a good quality lcd for use as a monitor in this size range that you can get a real extended warranty with that isn't FAKE as mentioned above then feel free to drop in a link and your comments on it.

I'm really open to other brands I suppose. I just really like the picture quality with Vizio as well as their construction and overall tv looks. The looks part doesn't go for all monitors though. Some of theirs are rather ugly and old school looking. Don't shoot me something that is 8 inches on the bottom and 2 inches on top. It has to be somewhat symetrical and I don't want side speakers unless they are built into the back of the screen.

Also how many places in the past have had Black Friday deals on this range of sizes where you can buy online so I don't have to sit in line at 3 am somewhere trying to get one because I can't with a quadriplegic fiancee at home. I need to be around in case she needs something. Not to mention its usually freezing that morning and she can;t stay out in the cold for long periods of time with low circulation in her legs. So its either buy before the storm or buy online and not get ass raped with shipping. Which I think most places that sell screens that are local stores have free shipping or pickup in store.

If I'm really going to save an ass load and can buy online I don't mind waiting until BF. but if its not really much savings I would prefer to go ahead and get it purchased in the next month before my fiance makes use of the money elsewhere. LOL

Well I took the measurements for the V0370M from walmart and cut a chunk of cardboard. Its a perfect fit and looks like it would be a great size. I believe a 32" will leave too much space still. Although without having a screen there and lit up shinning in my face there is really no telling if its going to be too much or not.

So with that said I'm not sure what to do. I don't believe I can return the above mentioned tv or any to a walmart store if I get them online. If I purchase online I get the extra year warranty though.
So if I get a 37" and its too much because of how large it is then I have a problem. LOL Although if I downsize to a 32 I may not be happy with the choice. :-(

Also I looked back through sales in last years Black Friday and wow the prices on BF were more then things are selling for now. So I can only assume that it will be terrible again this year for TV's so I think if I wait and hold off until BF I will be disappointed in the results.

Vizio 37" Razor LED LCD $698
Vizio 37" LCD E370VA $469.99
Vizio 37" LCD E371VA $599.99
Vizio 37" LCD E322VL $579.99
Vizio 37" LCD V0370M $448

Those are the 37" screens I've been looking at. The more and more I glance over at this whopping chunk of cardboard I'm wondering if a 32" wouldn't be better though. :-( So hell feel free to shoot your input on 32" screens also. I just can't see passing up a 37" when half are the same price or $100 more. It just doesn't make sense. LOL

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you right now.

I'm pretty torn between the

LG 32LD450 and the
LG 37LD450

I put another 32 inch 720p tv i have on the desk for reference, it felt pretty big as is. I just don't want to get the smaller version and then regret it later.

Sorry I can't help you much, but you may want to look at the 32LD450 if you want to go 32 inch. $425 with free 2 day shipping with Amazon prime, and it seems to have low input lag and decent panel(s).

http://www.amazon.com/LG-32LD450-32-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B0039RRCJ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284386409&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039RPJ48/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those are some sharp looking panels although LG doesn't disclose much information on their products which is concerning. I'm sure if I did alot of digging I could wrangle up more information on them from review sites, but as is they are a big pricy for the features they have from what I can tell. I may have to go out and look at some LG screens and see what I think of their picture though.

I'm always noticing their panels in slick deals also.

Well I guess 37" is out so back to the drawing board.
:-(
The fiancee got up and saw the giant piece of cardboard and said she wont go in the office if its that big. Its an office not a media room. Women never get these things.

Thing is Vizio doesn't appear to be making the standard 32" screens anymore as they aren't selling any from their site and wallmart no longer stocks them online either. They have one in store, but its ugly as hell. :-( So I may have to go with another brand or hope the 32" Razor goes on sale again as I didn't budget for a panel off this check and don't get paid again until the 24th. The sale at Target ends the 18th I believe. :-(

Well I guess 37" is out so back to the drawing board.
:-(
The fiancee got up and saw the giant piece of cardboard and said she wont go in the office if its that big. Its an office not a media room. Women never get these things.

Thing is Vizio doesn't appear to be making the standard 32" screens anymore as they aren't selling any from their site and wallmart no longer stocks them online either. They have one in store, but its ugly as hell. :-( So I may have to go with another brand or hope the 32" Razor goes on sale again as I didn't budget for a panel off this check and don't get paid again until the 24th. The sale at Target ends the 18th I believe. :-(

LOL I swear you must be my alter ego. When I told the fiance i was looking for something new, she asked half jokingly if i was gonna get something the size of our 40 inch TV in the living room. When I responded "maybe, if I find a great deal" I got a SERIOUS death stare.

Newegg currently offers the LG 42LD450 for $499. Also, there is a glut of LCDs right now so prices should drop soon. Panel makers are preparing to cut production so the price cuts may be short lived.

I want an LG 32LD450 for $299.:D

If y'all are letting your girlfriends make these decisions as to which monitor YOU want than maybe we should be talking to them instead of you?

LG IPS panels are garbage, just like Vizios which are marketed at the un-informed consumer who goes to the store without doing any research.

Check out the Samsung C530 Review
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32c530-le40c530-20100813815.htm

Low input lag, high contrast, deep blacks and pretty responsive

40" Version Review
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le40c580-le32c580-20100728791.htm

A 37" version exists but it is not widely avaliable

or

Sony EX400
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl32ex403-kdl32ex403u-20100418346.htm
http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-bravia-kdl-32ex402-p458_9224_16.html

These are currently the best all around 32" panels for gaming.
Sony

LG IPS panels are garbage, just like Vizios which are marketed at the un-informed consumer who goes to the store without doing any research.

40" Version Review

or

Sony EX400

Sony
And I was just looking at some 32" Sony Bravia's while I was at Comp USA. LOL Not sure what models they were though. Although around the $500 range.
I also looked at the 28" Hannspre (sp) and the I-inc that everyone talked about in the Hot Deals section. The I-ink looks like a cheap POS. The black material that the screen is incased in doesn't even resemble a black. Moreover a black that has been wet sanded down to dull the rich black color it could have had. The stand looks like junk positioning the tv way to high above the base. It just looks terrible.

Like everyone states you get what you pay for though. $250 I guess isn't bad if your looking for something to look at in the dark and don't mind a screen that resembles a box. With the Widescreen craze we have become so accustomed to a square display just doesn't look right. I understand its still classified as widescreen. To me it just doesn't resemble it.

The 28" Hannspre (sp) has wayyyyyyyy too much plastic around the display itself and it looks bulky as well having the cube look to it. The finish of the plastic is much more appealing over the I-inc, but I just can't see paying $299 for the thing. The value just isn't there for me. Not when I can spend about $150 more on a 32" and have a much nicer display and it actually resemble widescreen and not some cube.

I'll have to check into which Sony panels they had on the floor as there were only two in the 32" form that were 1080.

I'm pretty sure it was:
KDL32EX400
KDL32EX500
Sorry had to fix the links I linked to the comparison page, but I guess that wont work over time for someone else to see my comparison page.

Sony panels I was actually looking at although the $600+ one was closer to $579ish in the store if I recall.

Last edited:

40" Version Review

or

Sony EX400

Sony
The LG LD450 series currently has a panel lottery going on with both S-IPS and newer AUO VA panels. I'm curious about how good these newer AUO panels look, i know they'd have better blacks than the S-IPS panels for sure. Don't know if there's any way of telling which panel you are going to get.

That Sony EX400 (32EX400 prices) is definitely another good/proven monitor recommendation with decently low input lag.

OP you can probably end your search with the Sony 32EX400.

Last edited:
try sonic view monitor
smile.gif
It's called Viewsonic,

Whats the matter? Couldn't think of a better answer to spam your way up to 50 posts?

It's called Viewsonic,

Whats the matter? Couldn't think of a better answer to spam your way up to 50 posts?

LMAO and failed at it also. LOL

They are good monitors, but I don't believe they make a decent sized one that isn't rediculously overpriced like any other large display monitor. I'm not aware of them making TV's so it would have to be a monitor.

No company makes a competitively priced or should I say honestly priced large display monitor. They are all rediculous. Which is why most people use LCD TV's over monitors when your going to this size.

The LG LD450 series currently has a panel lottery going on with both S-IPS and newer AUO VA panels. I'm curious about how good these newer AUO panels look, i know they'd have better blacks than the S-IPS panels for sure. Don't know if there's any way of telling which panel you are going to get.

That Sony EX400 (32EX400 prices) is definitely another good/proven monitor recommendation with decently low input lag.

OP you can probably end your search with the Sony 32EX400.

Why not the 500 series with the 120Hz and motion flow? Other then that they are basically the same.

Well the Sony Bravia 32EX400 it is.

Sony sells it for $577.78 with 3 year extended.
Or they even sell a refurb with 90 day warranty and if you add the 5 year extended it brings the total to $551.86

I'm quite sure Sony sells a basically brand new TV when they refurb them so I have no second thoughts on getting a refurb directly from them. They are what are on our bedroom and living room wall and are going for 6 years now with no dead pixels or anything. Haven't even had to call them out to fix anything.

So can anyone else beat this price with a "REAL" extended 3 year warranty that beats the price of the refurb by a considerable amount?

"REAL"
An actual warranty that kicks in "AFTER" the manufacturers warranty. Not at time of purchase like many do. Which eats up the first year of the extended warranty when the manufacturers warranty is in effect.

Last edited:
Newegg has the LG 32LD450 for $410 today but I've lost interest because of the panel lottery. Apparently companies like LG and HP don't realize that we consider this practice unacceptable. Maybe they just don't care.

Contrast ratios are medicore at best on the Panny/LG IPS panels any way so its not really a loss. Most TVs are bound to have panel lotteries, so just know that its a manufacturer wide issue amongst he lower end panels

Newegg has the LG 32LD450 for $410 today but I've lost interest because of the panel lottery. Apparently companies like LG and HP don't realize that we consider this practice unacceptable. Maybe they just don't care.
Ya, similar to what NCX said, in this case you would likely WIN by getting the newer AUO panel. Doesn't mean it wouldn't have it's quirks, but the panel is built by a very competitive panel manufacturer.

LG LD 550 is fast has IPS and is fairly cheap. Check avforums for official thread.

The Samsung C530 has better blacks but might be slower and have smearing with fast content as PVA pannels usually do. Also its viewing angle is quite limited compared to the LG.
Aditionally It does not provide 4:4:4 colour reproduction when connected to a PC (0-255 RGB) instead limits colours to 16-235.

Aditionally It does not provide 4:4:4 colour reproduction when connected to a PC (0-255 RGB) instead limits colours to 16-235.

I'm no expert but this is def an area where i'm weak and have little knowledge of. Like i usually say, the devil is always in the details and stuff like this may explain why some TV's don't look right as monitors.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but not all TV's have this option right? I know my LG plasma does, and 0-255 is what i have it set to.

most LGs and some SONYs & Panasonics do have it. With Samsungs it's hit and miss, got to check the reviews at hdtvtest or avforums.
Last years LG SL8000 does support it.

I tried the Vizio M320NV about 3 weeks ago from Target. The panel was fast, colors were ok, but the text quality on my PC was fairly poor.

I have yet to find the holy grail of decent input lag, good PC text, and a nice picture. Next up is the Samsung LN32C530 or the Sony KDL32EX400.

I tried the Vizio M320NV about 3 weeks ago from Target. The panel was fast, colors were ok, but the text quality on my PC was fairly poor.

I have yet to find the holy grail of decent input lag, good PC text, and a nice picture. Next up is the Samsung LN32C530 or the Sony KDL32EX400.
I'll let you know about the Sony the first of October. :D

Though i've become leery of the thought of Vizio TV's as PC gaming monitors, poor text often sharpens up with oddest of setting changes. That's the problem with LCD televisions, they're not plug and play usually, they take so much fussing to get things looking right compared to traditional monitors. I'm not necessarily referring to "clear type" either, i'm talking about vague stuff like setting your video card refresh rate to 59hz, messing with overscan, then testing out each setting disabled/enabled while tweaking the TV menu at the same time. There's a lot of potential combos and most of them won't look right, especially text. Thankfully once everything is setup there's usually no more fussing, otherwise i would have thrown my LCD televisions out of the window by now :)

Long story short, you may not have discovered the right tweaks yet, and may have the same troubles with the new TV you buy. So have your patience cap on when the time comes (to the OP as well) ;)

Edit: But as we already know, some LCD TV's will never have "perfect" text, not to mention everyone's text expectations are different.

I tried about every setting I could find, in the video drivers and on the TV. I probably spent 3-4 hours messing with settings trying to find the right combo. It may have existed, but it certainly wasn't easy to find.

Please update us with your Sony findings!

I tried about every setting I could find, in the video drivers and on the TV. I probably spent 3-4 hours messing with settings trying to find the right combo. It may have existed, but it certainly wasn't easy to find.

Will do. It may come at the end of the month vs the first of next month. It is all going to depend on if my case will be ready at the powder coaters or not. So if I have to push that off until the first of Oct due to it not being ready I can get the TV. If not well I'll have to get it the first of Oct.

3-4 hours of trying different setting combos? That would have been my limit :eek:

Good thing the OP didn't buy that Vizio :)

There very well may have been some combo that granted nice text. I thought I was just being picky, but then my wife used my computer one morning and said "that looks like crap, are you taking that one back too?"

I tried the Panasonic L32U22, and it was slightly better, but not perfect, and input lag was noticeable. At least on the new Vizio, the lag was nonexistent.

Also tried a 26" Vizio that existed for exactly 1 shipment, 1080p, same crappy text.

The weird part is how awesome text looks on my Samsung 42" living room TV, from any viewing distance.

I thought I was just being picky, but then my wife used my computer one morning and said "that looks like crap, are you taking that one back too?"

The weird part is how awesome text looks on my Samsung 42" living room TV, from any viewing distance.

These two statements prove you weren't being picky. It was either an elusive setting combo or it just wasn't "meant to be" with those TV's.

A 59hz refresh rate may have helped your Panny U22 as it did with my Panny L32S1, they have same panel but different internals, but that can depend on a lot of other things so...

40" Version Review

or

Sony EX400

Sony

NCX, I never did get around to thanking you for your color settings on the LG 2361V monitor. I have been very pleased with it and your settings are one of the main proponents in taking the sting out of returning the F2380MX so...thanks! :D

As for the samsungs, I'd lean towards the c530 myself for it's supposed incredibly low input lag vs an extra HDMI input that I won't use on the c550. But my question is how did the image quality compare to the F2380MX? Does the c550 you tested exhibit smearing/ghosting better or worse? I really liked the F2380MX remember thinking that if they just made that screen bigger and without ghosting, that would be one sexy TV! ;)

Have you tested out any other TVs and what TV do you have in your living room if you don't mind my asking? The problem is that I am looking for a TV that will go in my living room and I'm not quite sure how these "low end" TVs will fair in that regards compared to what else is out there.

I currently have on order a Panasonic TC-L42D2 ($900) and a Sharp LC46LE700UN ($969) but both are on hold while I figure this out this week.

Any and all feedback would be welcome!!

NCX, I never did get around to thanking you for your color settings on the LG 2361V monitor. I have been very pleased with it and your settings are one of the main proponents in taking the sting out of returning the F2380MX so...thanks! :D

As for the samsungs, I'd lean towards the c530 myself for it's supposed incredibly low input lag vs an extra HDMI input that I won't use on the c550. But my question is how did the image quality compare to the F2380MX? Does the c550 you tested exhibit smearing/ghosting better or worse? I really liked the F2380MX remember thinking that if they just made that screen bigger and without ghosting, that would be one sexy TV! ;)

Have you tested out any other TVs and what TV do you have in your living room if you don't mind my asking? The problem is that I am looking for a TV that will go in my living room and I'm not quite sure how these "low end" TVs will fair in that regards compared to what else is out there.

I currently have on order a Panasonic TC-L42D2 ($900) and a Sharp LC46LE700UN ($969) but both are on hold while I figure this out this week.

Any and all feedback would be welcome!!

C550 looks almost as good the F2380MX in terms of black level/contrast. However colors are more accurate on the MX as is the the screen uniformity (however it's a smaller screen so not really a far comparison), viewing angles are better and gamma shift is also less severe. The C550 is definately much faster then the MX though, with performance similar to a 2ms TN like the LG.

I use a Samsung LN46A950 for my tv, haven't calibrated/profiled any others though.

The C530/550/580 is really the best low/mid range LCD TV right now in terms of contrast, color and input lag/response time performance. I suggest just brining one home and using David Mackenzie's settings from the 32"C530 review:

Out of the Panny and Sharp I would take the Sharp any day sense the Panny uses an IPS panel and will have a very medicore contrast ratio.

Back