Looking for a ~$100 CMI8788 card

Trombe

Gawd
I want to move on from my X-Fi. So far I've found the following that are within the general budget range:

Asus Xonar DX
Bluegears b-Enspirer
Razer Barracuda AC-1 (on eBay)

Tech Report claims the Xonar DX can rival the Prelude in quality but I have a bit of trouble swallowing that, and it seems to be missing some other features that could come in handy versus the other cards such as digital input since I have consoles, and I figure the DACs on these cards are better than whatever the PS2/3 have inside them :p. I assume drivers are more or less the same across all of them due to their chipset? Whatever I get will be paired with with some ATH-AD700s without an amp. I'd just like some opinions on which of these (or any others that I've missed within budget) sounds the best overall, with emphasis on music and movies over gaming. Thanks for your input.

I should really get around to compiling a list of all 8788-based cards at some point.

One you've missed is Sondigo's Inferno 7.1, which is pretty similar to the b-Enspirer. Auzentech's discontinued X-Meridian and HT Omega's Claro (discontinued now, I think) are both over your price range unless you buy used.

I personally like the Inferno. Good component choices, and Sondigo's a company that was founded by a pretty accomplished ex-Dolby chap.

CM8788, checking newegg:

bluegears b-espirer $104.99
Asus D2 $179
Asus D2X $199
Claro $159.99
Claro+ $179.99
Razer Barracuda $139.99 (check ebay for these too!)

Used .. look for a Sondingo Inferno or X-Meridian (though these can be pricey if you can find one)

Under $100, unless you find one used I don't know will be an easy task, especially since you specifically want the 8788. I recently splurged on a Claro+ and it was sooooo well worth the money.

If you're willing to go down to the 8770, you could get an HT Omega Striker for $79.99

The Asus and Razer didn't impress me very much tbh, but I'm not really a gamer so EAX is a non-issue.

Assuming I can wait a bit to scrounge up the money (selling textbooks in a few weeks at the end of the quarter, not to mention the X-Fi itself once it's replaced), would it be worth it to consider the Prelude as well versus the Omega Claro+? The X-Meridian is always up for consideration too, if I don't have to rip my hair out finding one... I'm not sure I really need a CMI8788 card, I'm primarily looking for a sound quality upgrade. Unfortunately, I can't mod/solder worth shit so changing opamps/capacitors on the X-Fi I have now is pretty much out of the question :(

Hmm, well you're not saying if you're a big gamer - if you are, then EAX may be an issue.

The Prelude does look nice, but the fact that they're using at least in part Creative X-Fi (EAX5 and the console looks identical) and that can mean driver problems. At the moment, unless something's changed, you can't even get updated drivers on the Auzentech site - something about "security problems"? Could have been the Daniel K thing where he tweaked X-Fi drivers using parts of Auzentech's? I donno.

For me, personally, the Claro+ is the way to go for the money. Gaming with EAX won't be so great, I think they only support up to EAX2. But does support operating systems: Microsoft Windows VISTA (x64), 2000 / XP (x64) and XPPro-32 (what I have) and AD8620BR OPAMP for Front Channel output.

Oh, and the 2 cards? they're the same price on newegg. Do some more reading, google each card and type in after that - reviews, then do the same and type in issues or problems.

The last time I found someone willing to sell an X-Meridian they wanted $200, just fyi.

Tech Report claims the Xonar DX can rival the Prelude in quality but I have a bit of trouble swallowing that

I believe it, but then, if you're looking for a "quality" improvement over your current X-Fi, unless it's a software-only Extreme Audio card, I think you're going to have to look a little higher than $100.

Figuring you're using the card's analog output, the X-Fis use Cirrus Logic CS4382 DACs (except the "elite pro" which uses an AKM 5394AVS). The Xonar DX, pulled from TR's review, uses a Cirrus Logic CS4398 for the front L/R channels and CS4362A for the rest.

Check out this page for specs on those:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/techs/T2.html

The one in use on the X-Fi cards is listed as recommended for the 82A version now, guessing they just revised them. So assuming the specs haven't dropped since then, the DACs on your x-fi are the same used by the surround channels on the Xonar DX (62A and 82A differ only in number of channels supported). The 4398 is listed on that page as their "flagship."

I don't know that you're going to find something that sounds much better in that price range; at the least I don't think you'd find something that sounds $100 better to justify the cost.

The bluegears card uses an AKM AK4396VF DAC which is, incidentally, the same one used on the X-Fi Prelude. Assuming the "VF" is the same as the one without "VF" listed here:

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/proaudio.html

Then that part has the same rated 120db sample rate but a lower THD than the DX's front output (-100 vs -107 on the CS4398) though is a little better for the surrounds. Whether you'd notice the difference is another question entirely. I don't think I would, at that level of SNR and such.

Anyways, those numbers are part of why I'm inclined to believe the listening tests and overall conclusion in TR's review of the DX. Mostly it's because I trust TR. :) It's on my list of things to order based on their article. My point is that a new $100 sound card might not get you much of an improvement over your current one, though I suppose it might be noticeable if you've got really nice speakers and you're using the analog connections.

it seems to be missing some other features that could come in handy versus the other cards

Heh, well, can't fault ya there. It's definitely a very basic sound card in terms of I/O.

I assume drivers are more or less the same across all of them due to their chipset?

Well, with exception to the Asus cards, yes. Whether Asus actually made any modifications for the "AV200" in the more expensive Xonars or the "AV100" in the DX is anyone's guess, but they're the only ones with the DS3D GX 2.0 stuff that mimics higher level EAX in both XP and Vista. The other cards are limited to EAX 2.0.

Back