Looking for a 1070 powered laptop - not MSI

I have a Eurocom Tornado F5 which has been working well. Its an MSI chassis, but oddly doesn't use the Nahemic stuff like the rest of their line. It uses desktop Skylake (and soon Kabylake) processors and also has an MXM slot which can fit a GTX 1070 and soon a 150W TDP GTX 1080. The chassis is the same as the GT62VR which isn't particularly heavy or hard to travel with. The only downside is that the 95W processors will throttle unless you delid them and do a very good paste job on them. It doesn't have nearly as much fudge room as a desktop chassis where its easier to keep the chip cool.

Well I got the 702VM, it has the 17.3" 75hz Gsync screen that a lot of them are using (like my old MSI GT72s), which of course means piles of dead pixels and horrific light bleed (also like my old MSI GT72s), so bad that half the screen is yellow. I'm about to just flat out give up on finding a laptop. When did they become such total shit? You used to be able to buy even a $400 laptop and everything worked and looked fine, sure it wouldn't be fast but I've never seen these horrible heating problems and especially the issues with the screens.

So based on what I have been reading with the Alienware it looks like the back-light bleeding and heating issues have been for the most part addressed. Any machine built after 12/06/16 had some updates to the thermal pads (That is what is causing the uneven heatsink contact on the CPU.) Been keeping tabs on this for anyone interested.

I guess they might have, but they also canceled hundreds of orders too due to lack of parts. I haven't seen anyone reporting that they have a build after that date that actually arrived yet tbh. People are actually filing FTC claims against Dell over how bad the service is acting.

I ordered up the Evoc P750DM2-G from HIDevolution.com. They put a de-lidded 6700k desktop cpu in there with a gtx1070 and 16gb ram. It has two m.2 slots and two 2.5 ssd/hdd slots. Its a beast. Upgraded from a Mini ITX i5, 2500k, 970gtx, 8gb that I was lugging around with me. I bought it for work, Overwatch, Dota2 and BF1.I live on the road.

Its all black, no logos. No gamer gimmicks. The keyboard is real nice, coming from years on a macbook pro, I prefer the keyboard of the evoc.

Fans are loud at max, you'll need headphones if you want to game. (then its non issue) Running at 4.0ghz. Temps max out at ~71c max fan speed. 81c if you set it to medium fan speed. Medium fan speed noise is completely reasonable, and you can game with the speakers.

If I downclock the cpu to 3.8ghz, I can run the fans at medium, keep the cpu at 68c, and still get solid capped 120fps on BF1 on ultra/high. This works best for now.

You do have room to overclock both the cpu and the gpu if you want carnage. Just be ok with noisy fans and some extra heat.

If you get a 6700HQ instead, you'll probably have better temps than I do. I was keen to have a real desktop in a laptop. This delivers.

HIDEvolution will also install a custom lcd for you. There are talks of overclocking the IPS panel, but I got the 120hz gsync TN panel, and its buttery smooth, vivid for a TN. No complaints.

Except for battery life and weight. The two known factors. There are better options if you want better battery life, get a thinner gtx1060 version if you want light. I get an hour of Overwatch and its dead, but I almost always have access to power. If I don't, thats what the ultrabook(Dellxps9360) is for. Great combo for a work traveler and gamer.

Last edited:
HIDEvolution is a great place to buy laptops from. Main reason I stick with Alienware is for the warranty and discounts I can get.

Well I've tested some games on this machine, it runs quite well compared to the Alienware which confirms to me that Optimus was the problem. Everything is smooth, GPU temps get a little high at ~80C but that is to be expected with such a thin machine. I may just keep this one and replace the screen myself, the 17.3" Gsync 75hz panel is readily available on ebay for $75.

Nevermind, as soon as I tried a game more stressful than World of Tanks the laptop shuts itself down due to overtemp. Back to Amazon it goes.

Last edited:
Man your getting some bad luck. Which is the next candidate?

Yeah, I have bad luck all around. I always say, if I went and bought a lottery ticket it would say I owed them more money.

Next candidate is probably a Clevo based Eluktronics unit. I'm looking at the 17.3" version, nice that they are US based because I'm just going to call and ask if they have problems with that screen (i.e. is it the same 75hz LG panel everyone else uses). The Asus worked really well right up until I loaded it with a heavy game, and then it started shutting down every 45 seconds of gameplay or so. I've read that it also has a problem with undersized power brick, so maybe that was the problem.

On a side note, Dell STILL hasn't refunded me for the original 15R3 that I sent back almost a month ago now.

I know with my M17 when reinstalling there was a specific order to install the drivers to get no issues. And it wasn't listed on dell's website.

Back