Looking for a card for 2560x1600.

Morazl

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be upgrading to a Dell 3007WFP soon and will be rocking the 2560x1600 resolution. I don't plan on gaming all the time, but I don't know how well the 9600GT is going to hold up to the task when I do plan to game... Anyway, I know there's a ton of great cards out at or under 200$ but the thing that I need is a high end card that's 'Mac Compatible' if anyone were to have any recommendations.

You can always run your games at lower resolutions and get a decent frame rate. However, to play at 2560X1600, you can never have enough power both GPU and CPU. So, if you're looking to just get by, your 9600GT will do alright. I played Crysis at 2560X1600 on a 8800GT and it was playable.

There are only like 100 reviews for gameplay demonstrating what cards are adequate for 25x16. Head into the archives and check it out.

However, to play at 2560X1600, you can never have enough power both GPU and CPU.
The CPU doesn't enter into it, as far as I'm aware. Asking the GPU to evaluate more pixels shouldn't create any additional work for the processor.

In any case, I'm sure the OP's i7 will cope just fine :D .

You can always run your games at lower resolutions and get a decent frame rate. However, to play at 2560X1600, you can never have enough power both GPU and CPU. So, if you're looking to just get by, your 9600GT will do alright. I played Crysis at 2560X1600 on a 8800GT and it was playable.

Hahahahahahhahaha....hahahahahahahahah

Are you being serious?

Was that on all medium/low settings. If it ain't max you ain't playing it.

Not trolling here btw, just not wanting the OP to get the wrong idea, a 4870x2 can just about handle it at 19 x 12, what hope does a 8800gt have at 25x16.

At that resolution - if you seriously wanna play games - you'll need the biggest setup you can get. If money isn't a concern, I'd SLI a pair of GTX 285s. But you say Mac Compatible (whatever that means; I ain't no Mac user), so I guess you can't do that. I suppose you'll have to settle with just one of those cards... but then I see your budget being limited to approximately 200$ - and I say GTX 260 or better GTX 275. The 4870X2 ain't in that price range...

The CPU doesn't enter into it, as far as I'm aware. Asking the GPU to evaluate more pixels shouldn't create any additional work for the processor.

In any case, I'm sure the OP's i7 will cope just fine :D .
it does enter into it. the more gpu power you add the more cpu you need to keep it happy. sure if you had a single 4870 at 2560 an i7 wouldnt even need to be overclocked but if you start adding some serious gpu power like a multi high end card setup then yes the cpu is going to need to be strong. of course like you already said, his cpu is not an issue.

If your budget is $200 and you'd like to game as well, I'd pick a 4890 or GTX 275.

My GTX 295 does it well enough, although I wouldn't recommend it now (way too expensive for the performance given). Personally, I don't like dual GPU solutions, and you don't really need one for 2560x1600 depending on what games you play and how high you like to crank visual quality. Go for a single 4890 and see if you like the performance. If you want more, grab a second 4890.

aren't those OS X drivers from AMD like older than time itself?

and nVidia has GeForce Mac OS X drivers on their downloads page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_MacOSX_18.5.2f16.html

for GTX 285 only

gotta give the nod to ivandurago and that eVGA card, at least if you want "officially supported" (like if this is going in a Mac Pro or similar (damn, this makes Mac Pro appealing again))

Back