Looking for a flight sim

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
My father isn't very tech savy, but he love flying virtual planes. I remember an old DOS game that we used to play called F15 Strike Eagle. Ever since that time, flight sims have gotten a little too complex for him (remember, he's an old man and wants to take off, fly, shoot things and make them go boom, and then land).

Is there anything out there that is pretty easy to pick up? The graphics don't have to be overly pretty -- just a fun game. He's going through a rough time right now and I'm trying to find something to cheer him up. I thought this might do the trick...

The HAWX series is not really a sim, but simple enough. You can get the first one cheap.

Wings of Prey is great if he's into flying WWII style planes. I never actually bought the game -- just played the demo -- but it was very easy to get into and fun.

Wings of Prey is the first thing that comes to mind. Like the poster above me, I've only played the demo, but it's fairly simple to pick up and seems pretty enjoyable. Especially compared to something like FSX.

Basically any action oriented combat sim will be fairly easy to pick up. They tend to concentrate on action rather than complicated controls (so you could argue whether or not they are truly sims, but whatever). Here's a few that seem decent, though not all are recent:

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2
Combat Wings: Battle of Britain
Top Gun
Blazing Angels
Blazing Angels 2
Pacific Storm

If you think he might enjoy something a bit less realistic, but equally as fun, something like DogFighter is worth a shot. It's essentially a 3rd person shooter but with planes. Pretty fun, but very arcadey (definately wouldn't be confused with a combat sim).

Hope that helped some.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll take a peek at all of the suggestions!

Wings of Prey looks like it might have potential if the controls are not overly complex. He loves to play games but doesn't have the patience to learn the controls. Point, shoot, boom! lol

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll take a peek at all of the suggestions!

Wings of Prey looks like it might have potential if the controls are not overly complex. He loves to play games but doesn't have the patience to learn the controls. Point, shoot, boom! lol

Wings of Prey can be very simplistic if you want it to be. But it also has capability to get more sim as well. I find it to be a very happy medium. Should be easy for your dad to get into.

I remember playing f15 strike eagle on my PC JR when i was a wee lad. Good times.

Back