Looking for a gaming headset

davidius

n00b
I'm looking for some recommendations on a good gaming headset for use with Teamspeak to replace my microsoft gamevoice headset. I'd like to stay in the $25 - $55 range if possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well, if you strech i'd suggest you shop around for an Icemat Siberia (Soft Trading Aps) headset, quality surround audio, look stunning, top integrated mic and apparently feel like angle kisses :D
Other than that, i'd say Speedlink Medusa,

Wally said:
Well, if you strech i'd suggest you shop around for an Icemat Siberia (Soft Trading Aps) headset, quality surround audio, look stunning, top integrated mic and apparently feel like angle kisses :D

That Icemat Siberia does look good from what I've been reading. Do you own it?

I have a $1.50 mic from radio shack that I rigged to my headphones and it works great. Everyone can always hear me and it was cheap. Find a cheap one and just rig it to your headphones. It would count as a mod!

Check out the Sennheiser PC150. I own them and they are very comfortable and have quality sound and a quality mic.

I'm the Dude said:
That Icemat Siberia does look good from what I've been reading. Do you own it?

No, but i have it on good authority that they are the shit. I've read reviews where the guy almost swapped them for a £300 pair of professional's Sonys because the audio is so good, and they only cost £60 (about $120 i think)

EDIT: yeah, i kind of submitted that without finishing it

I have held them, and they're very light, and apparently allow good circulation so you don't sweat. Considering i've used Sennheiser HD270s for about two weeks and barely noticed (one big ol' lump of plastic and leather looking liek half a cantaloupe is strapped to each ear) these should be practically non-existent

Wally said:

Someone down my street got it, compared to other headphones you can get for that much money.. or less, I felt it was quite uncomfortable and poor sound quality .

Your really paying for the Icemat name that gamers follow, and regarding praises... I'd presume it's from gamers who don't have much else to go on and want to believe there $80 or however much they are, was well spent.

I've seen reviews online before backing up my oppinion.

OEM said:
I have a $1.50 mic from radio shack that I rigged to my headphones and it works great. Everyone can always hear me and it was cheap. Find a cheap one and just rig it to your headphones. It would count as a mod!

Definitly the way to go, get sweet headphones and just slap this sucker on.

n64man120 said:
Definitly the way to go, get sweet headphones and just slap this sucker on.
Exactly. And it doesnt look half bad either. I dont have a digital camera or I would take pics and post them.

n64man120 said:
Someone down my street got it, compared to other headphones you can get for that much money.. or less, I felt it was quite uncomfortable and poor sound quality .

Your really paying for the Icemat name that gamers follow, and regarding praises... I'd presume it's from gamers who don't have much else to go on and want to believe there $80 or however much they are, was well spent.

I've seen reviews online before backing up my oppinion.

Hmm, really? i suppose it's gonna be different for everyone until they standardise tastes and head sizes :D
Still, i know what you mean, the main reason i'm looking at them myself is the reviews i've read and the fact that the colour scheme corresponds with the rest of my PC

mchammer said:
Check out the Sennheiser PC150. I own them and they are very comfortable and have quality sound and a quality mic.

I have a pair of the Sennheiser pc155's and I lvoe them, best sound I've ever ehard out of a gaming headset (it is Sennheiser, duh) and much more sturday than I expected. The ear pads are comfortable, and won't get annoying or stick to your ears after a long gaming session.

They also have a USB connector, in-line mic, and did I mention awesome sound quality? I own three pairs of headphone, a set of ear buds for use w/ my mp3 discman, a Sony MDR-V500, and my pc155's. The pc155's probably see the most use, and I've had them for a while now, and they don't show any wear and get on average at least 1-2 hours of use a day, and IIRC I have had them for about a year.

Not to pimp them out too much since I just got them, but after alot of research I got Sony MDR-V6's for like 70 bucks shipped. Tried and true for over 10 years, people keep going to more expensive cans and then headin back to these. But seriously, drop the idea of headset and get mic/headphones... unless you want some cheap yet overpriced Plantronics stuff

davidius said:
I'm looking for some recommendations on a good gaming headset for use with Teamspeak to replace my microsoft gamevoice headset. I'd like to stay in the $25 - $55 range if possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Plantronics .90. It's under 20 bucks, sounds great and easy to replace. It's got a volume control right on the cord and it's long.

n64man120 said:
Not to pimp them out too much since I just got them, but after alot of research I got Sony MDR-V6's for like 70 bucks shipped. Tried and true for over 10 years, people keep going to more expensive cans and then headin back to these. But seriously, drop the idea of headset and get mic/headphones... unless you want some cheap yet overpriced Plantronics stuff

You contradict your saying. You say you own a Sony yet you would never a cheap yet over priced Plantronics item? I paid 20, you paid 70? Who wins?

Seriously man, don't get a seperate mic with a head set. Room feedback is annoying as hell on ventrilo/teamspeak.

mchammer said:

These are what I use and love them. They also have a new pc160 out, of course they cost a bit more. Check Amazon, they have had some good deals on both the pc150 and pc160.

pagoon said:
Plantronics .90. It's under 20 bucks, sounds great and easy to replace. It's got a volume control right on the cord and it's long.

Yep, they may be cheap, but they work great for me. Bought a $50 altec lansing headset first, which sounded nice but killed my ears after a couple hours use. I can wear these plantronics for 6 hours before they start to make my ears ache. Since I hardly ever get to game that long, it works out just fine... :p

pagoon said:
I have used this set for about 2 years now, I have abused the SHIT out of it. Dropped it, rolled over it with my chair x eleventy-billion, thrown it, been mauled by my kittay, etc., still works great.

edit: Oh, and @ $20 if you *do* break it, you won't be so upset.

Audio 90's. I like them. Decent SQ from the headphones and mic, and also they pretty damn confortable, and are cheap. I only use them playing CS Source or when I am at lans :)

I use the Zalman zm-1 mic. It's very small, cheap, and clips onto the cord of my headphones.

pagoon said:

I am the great dark one, and I approved this message. But seriously, they're great.

I'll just throw my $.02 in here. I have a pair of Senn HD497s that I love and wanted to use with gaming. What I came up with is I use a logitech headset I have that is made to go over your ears and around the back of your head. I put those around the back of my neck with the earpads resting around the front of my neck and bend the mic up so that it is just below/in front of my mouth. Everyon I play with tells me the hear me very clear and it is much better than the old desktop mic I was using with them. I may look like an ubergeek, but at least I get good sound and can be heard!

pagoon said:
PYou contradict your saying. You say you own a Sony yet you would never a cheap yet over priced Plantronics item? I paid 20, you paid 70? Who wins?

Seriously man, don't get a seperate mic with a head set. Room feedback is annoying as hell on ventrilo/teamspeak.

Plantronics sound like complete ass compared to V6's. I was looking at a $150 pair of cans, but these Sony's were much better in every way.

I had the Plantronics 90s for a few years and they held up great and worked well until recently.

I just got some Sennheiser PC150s and they are excellent. The sound is a step up and from what I've been told the mic picks up my voice clearly.

n64man120 said:
Plantronics sound like complete ass compared to V6's. I was looking at a $150 pair of cans, but these Sony's were much better in every way.
$70>$20.

^^^

That's not a headset though, which was what the original poster was asking for. A headset has a mic.

Yea, well since you said your in $55 range, there's nothing that will produce super sound for headphones and mic. Plantronics is only cheap but decent atleast setup for that range.

^^^

Wrong. Sennheiser PC150 are in that price range as well and there are others also.

Well, then you just posted a link to a headset in his price range. Just like he asked for.

Back