Looking for a good all around laptop

EviL-aLphA

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,
I am going overseas in the end of the month and have been tinkering with the thought of finally getting a laptop to use on the trip and in the future.

I don't game too much anymore but once in a while I do enjoy playing a few. I am a heavy all around PC user, heavy web browsing, media (mostly music etc), encoding/decoding.

I know my computers inside and out but when it comes to laptops im pretty clueless as I have never cared to follow them.

Budget: $800-1000 (trying to keep this as low as possible)

Some requirements that I would like in a laptop:
-the smaller the laptop is the better (weight and dimention wise)
-I7 processor
-15" screen (1080p) - I think this is the perfect size, 17 might be too big and 14 -too small
-1tb HD with a replaceable spot for a SSD (installed by me)
-8-cell battery
-dedicated graphic card
-replaceable ram (planning on getting atleast 16gb)

I would appreciate any feed back on any current popular setups or any suggestions on what would fit my needs.

Thanks

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Now it looks like im torn between the UX32VD & the y500.

I can get a UX32VD in almost new condition for $850 right now, or I can side for a brand new Y500 with a nvidia 750m for around $900.

UX32VD - $850 (price doesnt include my upgrades)
-i7-3517U
-13" (1080p)
-Nvidia 620m
-10gb ram (upgraded by me)
-512ssd (upgraded by me)
-A lot smaller and ligher

y500
-i7-3630QM
-15"
-Nvidia 750m
-1tb hd
-8gb ram
-heavier

The y500 is much bulkier but more powerful as well.

Any one have input on this choice?

Personally I'd get the 13" -- you'll be travelling with it and using it on the go, and I think the smaller size will make you happier.

I personally like ASUS laptops. Great quality and not over priced. Best bank for buck in my opinion.

ASUS K55a is what I have and it's a great laptop.
Nice size screen on it too.
And it's under $1000 if I remember what I paid it was a little over $600.

I myself actually have a zenbook prime UX32 with the 1080p matte screen and I absolutely love it. I have always generally liked the asus line of notebooks including their high end republic of gaming line. I would recommend them and the UX32VD seems to suit your needs while not being too heavy at all. The 13" screen might be too small for you, and I'm not gonna lie sometimes it is kind of difficult to see things on 1080p with a 13" screen on my zenbook prime. It isn't too bad once you change the dpi. Then your fonts will look big without sacrificing your resolution for it.

Back