Looking for a good gaming Monitor

Reydan

n00b
Hi there,

The past two days i've been searching around the internet, for a nice monitor. Recently I have ordered a new gaming rig, and therefore I am in need of a new Monitor. My price range is around € 200,- to € 220,-

Currently I am leaning towards the LG E2370V, or Dell U2311H. For the LG, I have looked around for some decent info, but tbh there is none. Only alot of debate about the " higher" ms both has (How much ms does the LG have actually? 14, 8 or 6ms? ^^ lots of sites saying different things). Is this now truly a concern? I am playing all sorts of games, not only FPS. And how much will the LG Thru mode make up for the higher ms?

Or would the LG W2363D be a better option? I won't be gaming in 3D tho. But the 120hz is suppose to be excellent for gaming right?

But if there are more suggestions, please let me know know ;)

Regards.

120hz for FPS, pretty much it. For all other games it won't really do anything. If you play FPS casually and aren't at least top tier in skill then it probably wouldn't do much for your game. Besides they cost an additional $100-200 just for the 120hz feature. I game on a 120hz, but if I wasn't a FPS whore then I wouldn't bother. If you were interested in one, I'd look into a BenQ xl2410t, though it doesn't have glossy screen (bonus in my eyes).

Definitely don't get something rated for 8ms or higher. Plenty of 2-5ms panels that are good for gaming with good color reproduction. Sorry don't have any suggestions as I went straight into 120hz.

60Hz displays a maximum of 60 frames per second, assuming you have vsync enabled. 120Hz, naturally, bumps that up to 120 frames. Thing is, the human eye can't really detect more than 30 frames.

To answer your main question, Asus monitors are highly regarded and competitively priced, from what I've seen on Newegg and Amazon.

You'll probably run into a lot of talk about how LED edge lighting is in inherently better. It does make for a slimmer unit and lower power consumption, but this tech is subject to a higher degree of backlight bleed than CCFL-lit monitors. Either way, the price premium of LED edge lighting does not usually create a proportionally higher-quality image. If you can get an LED-lit model for a moderate price from a reputable manufacturer, though, it may be worth it. Also keep in mind that "LED" monitors still use an LCD display. The "LED" just refers to the type of backlight.

Yes well i was mostly looking towards the IPS panels, since they are supposed to give better colours and such. As opposed to the TN Panels, but you do not recommend me the E2370V? Most games I will play in the future would probably be Diablo 3 and The old Republic. And maybe mediocore some FPS games.
They do say the LG E2370v is made for gaming, since it has the Thru mode. But i can get the 120HZ for € 30,- more.

Thought the LG and Dell are good brands? I know Asus is aswell tho, might look into that if you got some examples for me.

I bought an IPS236v from BB yesterday, which should be using the exact same panel as the e2370v. I bought it (sorry Best Buy) really just to try and get an idea of what the 2370 would be like because as you said, there are no real reviews/feedback on it and I hate ordering a monitor off the internet blind.

From playing games last night the 236 has ghosting but it is not bad and unless I start specifically looking for it I don't notice it much. Also keep in mind up until two weeks ago I was using a CRT.. Maybe if I was running/jumping around as a scout in TF2 it would bother me (and I'll test this tonight), but you don't seem to play those kind of games much. I have no idea if the 2370s panel has been coaxed into being more responsive, at the bare minimum it will be the same. I didn't notice any input lag, maybe if I had really, really tried to look for it I could but if I can't notice it w/o the 2370s Thru Mode you certainly shouldn't with it.

Black level is pretty good, black detail is quite good (the XL2410T I briefly had crushed the lowest 4 shades, all of which I can distinguish on the 236) and colors look good.

The AG coating is less noticeable/bothersome than I thought it would be, though I still wish it were lighter like the xl2410ts. I've gotten annoyingly conflicting reports from LG on whether it's the same coating on the 2370 so assume they are.

The real downside to the 236 (and I can only imagine the 2370 and basically every other cheaper IPS) is the damn tinting/clouding in the bottom corners, though unless the background is pure black or close to it you'll have to really look for it to notice it. Personally I find it less annoying than the TN viewing angle issues.

Also, though I have yet to fully confirm it by taking a timelapsed picture the 236 runs fine at 72Hz (and prob 75Hz, but i havent tried it yet) with custom timings. No reason to think the 2370v wouldn't be able to do it too.

Last edited:
Ye i think it is really hard to decide, since there is no perfect monitor out there. Btw i do play tf2 :p. But what will the benefit be from the Thru mode? Will it cause the ms to drop low? Because i dont get it really, the monitor is made for gaming. But still not everyone seems positive about it. I think mostly becuase of the fairly high ms?

Best to stay away from the IPS236V/231p for gaming, they are both very slow for gaming (refer to links for Review info).

Dell U2311H is much faster, best to wait for some reviews of the LG E model and Asus ML239H before making a purchase. PRAD should have the Asus review up within the next week or 2.

Ye i think it is really hard to decide, since there is no perfect monitor out there. Btw i do play tf2 :p. But what will the benefit be from the Thru mode? Will it cause the ms to drop low? Because i dont get it really, the monitor is made for gaming. But still not everyone seems positive about it. I think mostly becuase of the fairly high ms?

From what I understand Thru Mode eliminates input lag but doesn't affect the ghosting/response time.

As you said, there is no perfect monitor (not LCD, anyways =P). Unless you're in a super hurry NCX is probably right, wait for review of at least the ML239H.

the 120hz lg is the best of the best for gaming right now (crts left aside)
but it isn't too good for anything else

Thing is, the human eye can't really detect more than 30 frames.

No, just no. Does everyone believe every little thing they hear without actually taking the time to stop and think?

But i can get the 120HZ for € 30,- more.

120hz panels are all TN. If you're looking to improve your FPS gaming abilities cause you're pro, then 120hz. Not a huge FPS gamer? then why bother.

Response time is the time it takes for a pixel to change (general idea). Thru mode is reducing input lag, or time it takes from the frame being made from the video card to the time it starts displaying on screen.

TF2 is a game that relies very heavily on team based play. Not sure the specific classes you play, but that changes what sort of monitor you'd want.

the 120hz lg is the best of the best for gaming right now (crts left aside)
but it isn't too good for anything else

Best for FPS you mean.

Best for FPS you mean.
What specifically makes it worse for other types of games? Color reproduction? Color distortion at edges due to poorer viewing angles? Contrast? Black levels? All of the above?

Well i dont know much about Monitors and such.

I have a 4 year old Mac atm :cool:. Tbh the colours look great, but i think anything would be a great improvement :p. I just want a monitor with less ghosting and input lag.

I have to decide in a week or so, since i ordered my new rig last week. And it takes the company to assemble it like 6 to 10 days (slowpokes).

And to refer to a previous question i am curious about. How much ms does the E2370V actually has? The LG US website says it has 14ms, while the dutch LG website says it has 8ms. And other sites claim it has 6ms? :confused:

Or shall i stick with the Dell U2311H? Or is it a big no for gaming? Then what else? Will the 120hz provide my needs, is it really only good for FPS?

The ms numbers are just marketing, hopefully the e2370V won't be super slow like the IPS236V/231P, all you can do is wait for reviews to see how fast they are.

120hz provides better detail in all fields of use, even desktop use if scrolling ghosting bothers you. Any game/movie with lots of fast camera pans will show more detail and if you're sensitive to ghosting you may end up having a more immersive experience in general due to it's absense.

Now the problem is the LG is a peice of garbage, yes it is the fastest, but it only is by the tinniest degree and only the most hardcore of hardcore will notice. You throw out any sort of picture quality a TN panel can have to achieve this due to its inacurate color presets and need for hardware calibration to achieve "good," picture quality.

Best to look at the Asus VG236H, Alienware AW2310 and Planar SA231W due to the good default color accuracy or wait for the new Samsung 120hz displays as a 4th option.

BTW is your Mac Glossy or Matte? If it is Glossy you will probably want the Asus or wait for the upcoming Samsungs.

How come the LG is garbage? Since they provide the Panels for Dell, atleast so i have heard?

Also i've been looking into those monitors, but they exceed my budget i am afraid =/. My budget is maximum € 230,-.

Hm can't tell now since i am at work, i think it's matte tho since there is an amount of dust on it frequently :p.

I would choose IPS236V over U2311H because non existant input lag. the response time ms bullshit doesnt effect anyone really but the input lag really does and IPS236V has 1 ms input lag while U2311H has 11,6 ms.

You also cant compare IPS236V and IPS236P. The latter is significant slower.

Read the PRAD review, they are both twice as slow as the U2311H (30ms vs 17ms measured response time), the NEC EA231 is also faster.

The 120hz LG sucks because the default color accuracy is very poor and it requires hardware calibration to get an accurate picture.

Hm dilemma is'nt it? :p I have to decide in a week, so i dont think i can wait for those Samsung's.

The Samsungs will be the most expensive 120hz panels.

I would hold out into the very end, hopefully PRADs review of the IPS Asus ML239H will be up, it is the cheapest IPS panel.

color accuracy is not important for a gaming monitor.

Yes it is when most of them have half-way decent color presets there is no reason for monitors that cost the same price not too. If you are going to spread garbage like this please leave.

Wow that ASUS monitor looks indeed nice. Good ms aswell, so far the best MS i have seen for an IPS.

No the e2370V is only 60HZ, the W2363D is 120hz. The E2370V is already released, look on the main LG website. And there it shows as a 60hz monitor

The only thing i am really curious about is the Input lag it will have, since it has Thru mode it should be 0 right?

I dont think i will have any more ghosting then i should have now on my 4 year old mac playing for example TF2? ( I don't even see any ghosting on my mac btw)

Like i said before i am no expert in this, i won't be looking for ghosting and such. As long as it don't lagg, or really noticeable ghosting. Then it is fine for me.

No the e2370V is only 60HZ, the W2363D is 120hz. The E2370V is already released, look on the main LG website. And there it shows as a 60hz monitor

have u ever seen the W2363d ? it's a horrible quality monitor, Banding issues and dead colors.

It is possible, and probable, but once you go under 10ms the response time and PQ should take priority. How do you know your mac has 0 input lag?

Check for ghosting on your Mac here

have u ever seen the W2363d ? it's a horrible quality monitor, Banding issues and dead colors.

Nope i have never seen it, that's why i am asking it here :p. And i was just refering to you, that the E2370V is a 60hz monitor not 120hz :)

Last edited:
It is possible, and probable, but once you go under 10ms the response time and PQ should take priority. How do you know your mac has 0 input lag?

Check for ghosting on your Mac here

Sorry for double post.

But i never said my MAC has 0ms input lag. I was talking about the E2370V with Thru mode on, and asking if the E2370V would have 0ms input lag with that mode on?.

I only said that i don't even notice Ghosting and input lagg on my 4 year old MAC. And that would mostly be because i am not looking for it and such, means i am noobish in such things ;).

Hope i made myself clear :p

there is no reason to believe the e2370v would be any good for gaming
first its only a 60hz
second there are no reviews about its pixel response picture quality etc yet

True that there are no reviews yet, that indicate it. But in release notes they did say it is based for gaming. Thats why they added the Thru mode on this version.

And 60hz can be good for gaming aswell, but ofcouse 120hz are better.

You mentioned you play TF2.

I play it all the time, and used to have a 60Hz monitor, after I upgraded to a 120Hz (have the old viewsonic model) it was so much better I refuse to play the game unless its at 120Hz. If you're going to play a game like TF2, don't sell yourself short and get a 120Hz panel.

I'm not going to chime in on what the best current 120Hz panel is, because I haven't seen them all or been keeping up on it. But seriously, get a 120Hz panel, you won't regret it.

Well i play all sort of games, not only 1 genre. And besides gaming i am not doing any photoshop stuff or anything, just surfing the web. And watching some movies or TV series.

What specifically makes it worse for other types of games? Color reproduction? Color distortion at edges due to poorer viewing angles? Contrast? Black levels? All of the above?

120hz provides better detail in all fields of use, even desktop use if scrolling ghosting bothers you. Any game/movie with lots of fast camera pans will show more detail and if you're sensitive to ghosting you may end up having a more immersive experience in general due to it's absense.

Ok let me explain myself with the 120hz for FPS comment I keep making. Plenty of people say they have good 60hz panels that don't have ghosting. 120hz just means you get the in between frames shown on something. A movie is generally encoded at something like 23.976fps, 24fps, or 30fps. Having 120hz won't do much other than display the same frames. Of course there is the 3:2 pulldown issue, but overall not a huge enough difference to pay more for.

When it comes to things like say photoshop, the picture is generally pretty static. Not much change or movement. So all 120hz will do here is display that same static image 120 times instead of 60, not really needed.

Mouse cursor movement won't have ghosting if you have a good 60hz screen. 120hz will just mean that you'll see the extra in frames of the mouse moving. So if you move the mouse half way across the screen and would see 5 frames of the mouse (depending how fast you move it) then the 120hz would display 10 frames of the mouse moving. On a good 60hz you it won't ghost, so really not a big deal.

When it comes to say RTS, yeah there is movement, but the game is fairly static and not fast enough changes to make the extra frames improve your game. Will it be smoother? Probably not if you have a good 60hz that doesn't ghost.

For stategy/turn based games, it is fairly static. No need to see those extra frames. Won't notice a difference.

You get the general idea. The reason its a major upgrade for FPS players is when you're aiming, each frame that you can see of the enemy moving or when you're spinning around scanning your surroundings, gives you more information about the game. An enemy is running towards you, you get to see each individual frame. Each of those frames helps give you more information for where to aim, which you really will only be able to use if you tune into it.

From my understanding, there are better monitors in terms of (you said it desh) color reproduction, viewing angles, and contrast/black levels. If I wasn't playing much FPS, but any of the other games or watching videos I would want it to look prettier rather than somewhat smoother since the extra frames wouldn't really help my game anyways. 120hz monitors tend to cost more.

Oh wait, if you're playing an MMO then yeah 120hz lol. High end guild doing raids, you need to be on your game if you're attempting the hardest stuff in the game and every little bit helps there.

Feel free to disprove me, my word isn't law, and if you can open my eyes to something I might not understand then by all means, please do so :D

He thanks for the informative reply :D

Well i wont be playing the MMO hardcore btw, plenty other stuff to do you know :p. And other games aswell haha.
Ofc i want less ghosting, and a good image display. Which monitor do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Still i am really curious about the E2370V ^^. To bad no one around here owns him, and can rid me of my doubts haha :p

He thanks for the informative reply :D

Well i wont be playing the MMO hardcore btw, plenty other stuff to do you know :p. And other games aswell haha.
Ofc i want less ghosting, and a good image display. Which monitor do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

You want less ghosting than your current screen? On which you said you didn't notice any ghosting at all... Everything points to you not being sensitive at all to this, just like most other people.

*sigh*

Back