Looking for a good headset for PS3/PC

SharpHawk

n00b
I don't have a Bluetooth receiver on my PC.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer to have a cheap one that's only used for conversations and have the in-game audio played through the TV speakers, or a good set of speakers used for all audio. Any suggestions?

If you want chat only, any USB PC headset will most likely work with PS3. I've heard someone using a good quality Logitech one and he was much easier to understand than all the bluetooth people.

If you want game audio there are only a few options. The Tritton AX 180 is the cheapest ($70?), and works with 360/PS3/PC but I haven't really read many reviews for it since it came out after I purchased mine. There's also the Tritton AX 720 which is more expensive ($130 list), better quality and works with all three again. After that you are getting into the $200+ range.

I have the Turtle Beach P21 and it works well enough, it's PS3/PC and chat is easy to understand. Game audio is a little weak but I haven't played around with the settings much. There's also a faint hum most of the time but I pretty much tune it out and I think it's fairly easy to get rid of with a ground loop isolator.

While I'm honestly not a big proponent of Bluetooth headsets (it's a bandwidth hog on the PS3), I should probably mention that you can get a really good PC bluetooth receiver for about $10, and it'll double as a receiver that'll allow you to use the Dualshock 3 as a PC controller, too.
Again, I'm not a fan but it's worth mentioning.

Just look up reviews for the best bluetooth headsets for phone and get the one you like. They will all work with ps3. I have the sony branded one that came with socom. It works pretty good but I don't really like how it's a square shape, digs into my ear sometimes.

I would say it really depends on your budget, how much are you looking to spend on this solution?

I was looking at bluetooth receivers on Newegg and quickly came upon this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833242001
Seems to work with Windows 7 x64, which is what I'm running ATM.

Additionally, I'm now most definitely siding with using the headset for chat-audio only. This means that I would like only a single speaker, leaving my other ear open for game audio. I've heard that bluetooth headsets in general have a lower SQ (even for simply talking), and most are over-the-ear designs that are uncomfortable as hell.

So in short, what I'm looking for is: an over-the-head one-speaker headset with decent SQ and mic and preferably wireless. Price range is up to about $50.

EDIT: @ Domingo: what did you mean by bluetooth headsets being a bandwidth hog on the PS3?

ax 720 here excellent so far (just got it). The sound is great and the voice com is excellent as well for the ps3. Voice for the 360 sucks though if you even move a little to make the wire that plugs into the controller for mic support will cause tons of static and cut you off of chat (sucks) and your voice sounds awful when no static. I sent my self a voice message for testing and it sounded bad.

Ax 720 uses usb cable for comm for ps3. So your out a usb slot but its crystal clear. I love them for my ps3.

Well I finally grabbed a PS3 last year and found myself wanting a good headset to talk to my buddies. I also decided it was time to step up the audio department for my PC. I already had a 5.1 speaker system that I could interchange between my PC and PS3, so I definitely needed a nice 5.1 headset that could do the same. I love good audio, not yet an audiophile, but sound quality is very important to me.

I got tired of replacing my 20 buck Best Buy headsets and ultimately decided to go with the Tritton Ax Pros. These are ideal for private movie watching, music listening and gaming sessions. Everything from the construction, controls, mic, and true 5.1 system is superb. The versatility alone is sheer beauty (my PC and PS3 are near each other).

I have great confidence in Tritton's product quality and service. Any one of their headsets would be perfect for what you are looking for.

I recommend using a WIRED headphone and mic for optimal SQ. I personally use an Audio Technica A700 with a Zalman clip on mic.

I have the AX Pro, and have been swapping between my PC and my XB360.

Sound quality is great for both, although I'm debating buying the AX PC Pro to have it on my desktop 100% of the time.

Great headset if you want to spend the $$.

I have the AX Pro, and have been swapping between my PC and my XB360.

Sound quality is great for both, although I'm debating buying the AX PC Pro to have it on my desktop 100% of the time.

Great headset if you want to spend the $$.

That is a great idea! :D I second that.

Back