looking for a good mini-itx case

joormotha

Gawd
I plan on building a server based of of the EPIA MII and wanted to use a set up that won't give me any hickups. What size PSU can I get away with if I will have the following?

1 60 GB 7200 RPM HD
1 EPIA MII
1 CDRW/DVD Combo (in case I need to burn or load files from a dvd)
1 maybe a 160 7200 RPM GB HD (might go external firewire)
1 512 MB stick of RAM

I really like the Silverstone LC09 http://silverstonetek.com/products-lc09.htm
but I'm not sure if the PSU will be enough. The smaller, the better and it must be quiet, but not necesarily silent. I have some 80mm panaflo fans laying around, so that's my back up.

If you want to have those drives internal in a fairly decent size/looking case, the CheckerCube isn't a bad way to go. You can also use a normal optical drive, rather than a slimline version that a lot of mini-itx cases need. The CheckerCube also has 2 pci slots so you can add a second nic if you wanted to make that server pull some firewall duty as well.

speaking from experience and owning 2 checker cubes, I can honestly say i hate them. If you choose to get one, make sure you replace the fans on the back with something much quieter because the ball bearings lose quality after a few months.

I'm not too keen on the checker cubes. The travla's look very nice. After doing some pricing, I think I'm going to go with the Shuttle zen. The setup is going to cost about the same, but have a lot more performance. One thing that kind of worries me is the stability of ati drivers under linux. But that's another topic.

Back