Looking for a little outside advice.

NKDietrich

Supreme [H]ardness
So first things first. Current rig in sig, with the exception of my E8400 sitting at 3.6GHz currently.

I only upgrade my rig every now and then, and usually just end up replacing everything. I pondering upgrading the video card back in December, but decided against it. Wisely, I might add, since my 9800 GTX has still offered passable performance at 1920x1200 in most games. Where it doesn't, I drop to 1680x1050 and go windowed.

In September I will have enough money to put together a new rig for around $1200-1500. If I pass that up, I can probably spare the money again in March.

So my question is rather broad. What am I looking at changing between September and March? I know we've got Sandy Bridge coming up, and the 6-Series chipsets, at some point. But I don't see it making much of a difference in gaming. On the other hand, I imagine an AMD GPU refresh is coming at some point.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? I just want to get some outside perspective.

I would leave the system alone, save the gpu. Your cpu oc'd as it is, is more than capable for gaming. The ram is still cooking fine. But, a 5850 would be a great upgrade for you or maybe the gtx 465.

On the gaming front I really dont see you getting enough performance increase from a new $1200 build.

Thanks for the reply.

The 5850 was the upgrade I was considering back in December. I guess it's seeming more and more like a good idea, though I'd hate to get one and have something better come out a few months later. I guess I will just keep waiting and see what happens.

The 5850 was the upgrade I was considering back in December. I guess it's seeming more and more like a good idea, though I'd hate to get one and have something better come out a few months later. I guess I will just keep waiting and see what happens.

Then you're not gonna get anything then. There's ALWAYS something better coming out a few months later. If you need the GPU upgrade now, do so. If not, just keep waiting. Keep waiting until you can no longer wait and then buy. Don't keep waiting for that "new thing" around the corner because if you do, you'll never buy a single PC part ever again.

Then you're not gonna get anything then. There's ALWAYS something better coming out a few months later. If you need the GPU upgrade now, do so. If not, just keep waiting. Keep waiting until you can no longer wait and then buy. Don't keep waiting for that "new thing" around the corner because if you do, you'll never buy a single PC part ever again.

True enough! I guess I'm just becoming antsy since I typically build a new rig every 2 years and it's past that point now, and looking like 3 years may be the case. Thanks for the perspective.

Back