Looking for a new desktop...is this a decent price for what it is?

Gh0st

Limp Gawd
My old desktop finally bit the dust and I guess it's time to move on. I've been out of the desktop space for years now so I'm a little unfamiliar with whats out there right now. I'm actually going to buy a built PC (I know *gasp*).

I do basic web surfing, but I will want to play Diablo 3 when it comes out. That'll probably be the only game I ever play on this PC, so I at least need a half-way decent video card for that. I was looking at the Dell XPS 8300, but then stumbled across CyberPower and they offer a few more goodies for the same price, e.g. better proc, more ram and an SSD. I would just go with their base z68 model.

msi z68a-g43
i5 2500k
8gb RAM
nvidia GT520 (or should I go with the 550Ti for +$100?)
60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
Asetek 510LC liquid cooling setup - might switch it over to a regular fan, I'm not sure I want the hassle of this, but these newer systems looks waaayy simpler than my old heater core setup
500w PSU

All for $695

Is that a good price for what it is? I priced everything out on Newegg and it came out to $2 more expensive. Any other words of advice for me?

Last edited:
My old desktop finally bit the dust and I guess it's time to move on. I've been out of the desktop space for years now so I'm a little unfamiliar with whats out there right now. I'm actually going to buy a built PC (I know *gasp*).

I do basic web surfing, but I will want to play Diablo 3 when it comes out. That'll probably be the only game I ever play on this PC, so I at least need a half-way decent video card for that. I was looking at the Dell XPS 8300, but then stumbled across CyberPower and they offer a few more goodies for the same price, e.g. better proc, more ram and an SSD. I would just go with their base z68 model.

msi z68a-g43
i5 2500k
8gb RAM
nvidia GT520 (or should I go with the 550Ti for +$100?)
60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
Asetek 510LC liquid cooling setup - might switch it over to a regular fan, I'm not sure I want the hassle of this, but these newer systems looks waaayy simpler than my old heater core setup
500w PSU

All for $695

Is that a good price for what it is? I priced everything out on Newegg and it came out to $2 more expensive.

There is a reason why prebuilts from CyberPower are so cheap: Poor assembly quality, with a relatively high number of DOAs (due to parts not secured properly and thus shaking off of their sockets during shipping and hitting and knocking even soldered parts completely off of their positions) compared to other PC manufacturers.

How is it even possible to screw up putting screws in? Is there another assembler you would recommend? If it's going to cost me more than $100 to have it built, I'd rather do it myself.

How is it even possible to screw up putting screws in? Is there another assembler you would recommend? If it's going to cost me more than $100 to have it built, I'd rather do it myself.

Actually, many of the parts used in the CyberPower PCs are held down with no screws at all whatsoever. And what screws they used can (and do) work their way loose or even fall completely off during shipping (since the shippers they use are far from being gentlest on their deliveries) because they often do not tighten them down sufficiently.

And even with that, I would not purchase any OCZ-branded SSD or any Sandforce-based SSD at this time due to the Sandforce controller's random BSOD issues and OCZ's poor technical support.

Last edited:
How is it even possible to screw up putting screws in?
In addition to what E4g1e said, they also tend to use low quality PSUs or mishandle the parts themselves. You're probably better off with a Dell if you want a prebuilt.
Is there another assembler you would recommend? If it's going to cost me more than $100 to have it built, I'd rather do it myself.
Best bet is to build it yourself then as a lot of the good computer boutiques that we recommend tend to charge $200 to $300 over the costs of the parts themselves.

However even if you do want to gamble badly and go with Cyberpower, there are some issues with that build as is:
- The OCZ SSD as E4g1e mentioned earlier isn't a good choice at all. We tend to recommend the Intel 510 series or Crucial m4 SSDs for reliability, stability, good customer support, and quality
- The 500W PSU is probably some generic piece of shit. Go with Corsair or Antec
- The video card is waay too low-end, even for Diablo 3. Go with the HD 6770 as it's faster than the GTX 550 TI yet costs less (if building it yourself)

If you do want to build the PC yourself, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Back