Looking for a new GPU ^^

WhDemon

Limp Gawd
Setup is in my Signature.

I used my 8800GT for quite a long time now. I remembered when I paid 279.99$ for it. :p

Now I'd like an Upgrade.

Games I play are Fallout 3, Fable 3, BFBC2, GTA IV.

Im also gonna get Skyrim when it comes out and few other games.

Card must last like the one I bought if possible :rolleyes:

Now budget wise, 240$ for a 6950 looks nice. But theres also the 570GTX. 6970 is a little bit too pricey.

Sorry, was thinking your CPU wouldn't need something that stout. But looks like you're planning on keeping the GPU awhile and upgrading the rest to it's level?

Sorry, was thinking your CPU wouldn't need something that stout. But looks like you're planning on keeping the GPU awhile and upgrading the rest to it's level?

What's wrong with my CPU ? lol

Amd PHII X4 965 @ 3.6 GHZ

Nothing at all, but if I recall correctly, the 6950 or 70 won't be pushed fully by that CPU. I thought I came across a good CPU/GPU comparison when I was researching but I can't find it now.

Discount what I've said then, I have nothing to back it up.

i'd do a 570 personally, but thats because I have 1 screen, and i'm lazy with drivers. If i was looking at multiple screens, and had more patience in me, i'd go for the 6950.

I'll second thesecond's POV. I hate dealing with driver issues, so for me it's an easy choice.

Check benchmarks using the games you play and decide for yourself.

I found the card 570 gtx @ 300$ after mir.

Its Asus triple slot one. Its still a 70$+tx difference tho.

Edit: I just pushed it at 3.8Ghz 52.5C Stable Prime95. with Zalman CNPS10X Performa

Last edited:
I'd vote for the GTX570 if it's at the same price as the HD6950 2GB. Otherwise, I'd take the HD6950 2GB if it's cheaper.

nVidia isn't free of driver issues. You simply see less complaints since they update their game profiles a LOT more, and automatically, too (it used to tell you when the last game profile update was installed, too... more recent updater versions must of ridded of it). Otherwise, I haven't encountered any real issues with AMD GPU drivers.

Gigabyte GTX560Ti SO (Super Overclocked). Similar performance to a stock GTX570 but it's cheaper.

I would go the 570. I just replaced my 6850 with it, been great ever since (ati drivers were causing me problems). Only down side I can see is it really pumps out heat. I got mine for $260, if I get the mir it will be $230. I had a $50 off of 250 or more coupon to newegg you can try to look for one of those.

I have used a GTX 570,and also used 5870 5850,didn't have any driver issues with any of the cards.6950 looks like a good choice to me,it is cheaper and does have a larger frame buffer,which may be of large benefit,if you plan to keep the card for a while.

dont waste your time with AMD cards.
Uh, don't waste your time with Nvidia cards. :p
I had no issues with the 4850 I had, and it provided good gaming way longer than I expected. Now, I have a GTX460, and I've never really been happy with it. I have a new card in the mail right now not because I wanted a performance increase, but because I'm going back to AMD.

Nvidia costs a little more and suffers a lot less driver issues. AMD costs a little less and suffers a lot more driver issues. That's the trend they've set and continue to enforce.

What it really comes down to is your willingness to deal with driver issues, which card performs best in the games you play, and your budget.

What are all these driver issues all nvidia supporters talk about i haven't ever had problems with, Only my laptops nvidia drivers give me problems, Like turning off SLI every now and then and thats it not some horrendous issue.

Nobody even says what issue just that they have them. OP if you want a good graphics card i suggest getting a AMD/Nvidia In this day and age driver problems are very minimal between the two just buy the brand you like and ignore the trolls.

Nvidia costs a little more and suffers a lot less driver issues. AMD costs a little less and suffers a lot more driver issues. That's the trend they've set and continue to enforce.

What it really comes down to is your willingness to deal with driver issues, which card performs best in the games you play, and your budget.

That is totally false. While I slightly prefer Nvidia cards, AMD cards are just as good and the number of driver issues are pretty close. No need to be a fanboy and make things up.

Any one of the high end cards by either company are good. The 570 will probably last you a bit longer if you dont plan on upgrading soon but it is more expensive. The 6950 is a nice card for the price.

If you want to make sure that your card will last that long (Or easily replaced), I'd go for EVGA and one of their lifetime warrentys. I had opportunity to test that with an 8800GT that went bad on me, and they sent me a 250GTX as a replacement. Just a thought!

I went with Asus Direct CU II 570 GTX.

EVGA was out of my price range locally. Asus had rebate + mir. I live in Canada btw.

I had very good experience with Asus for Warranty. I shipped them my 8800GT when it broke via Express mail. I received it the same week via Express mail back. 3 Years is good for me. Also cooling is amazing but its a beast triple slot card.

Great. Now I just realised that my PSU got a problem. Whining at load crazy loud.

Might gonna finally get a damn Corsair HX 750Watt. at 129$ special.

Sigh.

Im just popping in this thread to say Zotac cards are just fine. I used their 8800 GT Amp! and abused it with games and whatnot for 3 and a half years. I currently run their GTX 480 Amp!. They are awesome.

Im just popping in this thread to say Zotac cards are just fine. I used their 8800 GT Amp! and abused it with games and whatnot for 3 and a half years. I currently run their GTX 480 Amp!. They are awesome.

Yeah but they were out of stock.

I have been running a HD 6850 for the last three weeks and have no driver related issues. I also own a GTX580 and have been getting a lot of driver crashes . At first I thought it as the card and swapped for a GTX470 same problem . Even my ancient laptop with a NV135 has had problems .

I have been running a HD 6850 for the last three weeks and have no driver related issues. I also own a GTX580 and have been getting a lot of driver crashes . At first I thought it as the card and swapped for a GTX470 same problem . Even my ancient laptop with a NV135 has had problems .

Drivers crash on both sides.

49-50C on Load with fan speed on low. :)

I am not saying both don't crash . It just have not had any problems with the latest AMD drivers . The last two Nvidia drivers just way to often . The laptop kind of surprised me as I can not game at all on it , The screen just went black doing normal everyday stuff . And I am not a fanboy of AMD as the last card I owned was a xt850xt pe and nothing but Nvidia since .

I have 570 and 6950 running in both machines gaming. no driver issue or instability with either card setup, and 6950 has unlocked shaders.

My last nVidia card was a GeForce 4 4400ti. My I've since had a Radeon 9800, an X1950 pro, a 4850, and now a 5850 and the X1950pro time period was the only point at which I experienced any driver issues. And they were minor.

Where does the "Radeons have driver problems" myth come from?

the 570 is slightly better than the 6950 in resolutions under 1920x1080 anything higher get 6950 2gb

There is just no card that can compare with the ref HD6950 2Gb for it's price and what it offers.. as already said it only takes afew mins to turn it into a HD6970 2Gb with a bios flash and if you want to play under 1920 x 1080 then keep the 8800GT..

Back