looking for a non-sli m/b that has good OC features, but not the best

Bo_Bice

Gawd
I'd really like to spend less than $100 for a motherboard to go with an opteron 165 i just purchased. This time around I'm not going to push the CPU to the limit, so I don't need a really expensive motherboard, im hoping to get to 2.5. what motherboard would you recommend for $100 or less?

The Epox 9NPA+ Ultra is pretty good for that. I'm running my opteron 170 at 2560 on it, which is about as far as it'll go on stock air. Not fantastic, but plenty fast. Good features.I've built 2 of them. I had some RMA problems with the 2nd one, but nothing that couldn't have happened with any other board (I hope)

have a look at the asus a8n-e.after owning 3 other ultra boards this is the best all around non sli board out rite now.perfect layout,mature bios,o/clocks well with stk or near stock voltage,not to picky with hardware.ive got my 3200 @ 2550 @ 1.38v
htt at 255,1 to 1 with corsair xms 3200c2 ram at 2.65v.this thing is rock solid and stable as a board can be.i run my business off it and play some too.its a great board.i really dont see how anyone would be dissappointed in this board.its not for dfi o/clocks,if your into maxing out all components then dfi is were you need to be.but for sane o/clocks and easy setup ,and a stable board you cant beat this board.newegg had it for 105.00 recently so check around.also dont overlook the a8n5x board,identical except for the nf4 chipset vs the nf4 ultra on the a8n-e.if you cant swing the ultra version the 5x version may fit the bill.if you plan on keeping it for a while the sata2 mite be a nice upgrade in the future and you would be all set.just a quick note on my board i run a powercolor x800gto video card and brother this board flys.its the fastest setup ive ever owned.and ive been interested in building a 2nd rig for fun using the dfi ultra d or the expert just to see what i could do with it.but at same speeds this setup compaired to the 2 dfi boards at same speeds and compairable hardware.the boards are almost equal in benchmarks.there is very little to no difference at all first with the ultra d running at 2600mhz with a compairable vid card and ram.the expert is the same way in non sli mode.makes me think if its worth all the work it requires to tweek the dfi boards when my asus keeps them fairly equal mhz to mhz.i guess the difference is the dfi gives you the ability to go beyond the asus when it tops out with voltages and other settings.im not really into high voltage,high temps.i do like moderate o/clocks and latency tweeking to get my board to beat others at the same speed.i can feel it coming over me that i need to build a dfi rig to learn to tweek on and just to see what all the good user reviews talk about.they are good looking boards and i like the idea they will challenge me to take it to the next level when it comes to setting up a very picky board.its got to be alot of fun and a great learning experience.
get your asus and youll be happy.................................................................

Back