Looking for a virtual drive to mount ISO

astyler

Gawd
I have to mount this Visual Studio 2008 ISO file I grabbed from MS dreamspark, but Windows does not natively have virtual drive software.

In the past, I used to use Daemon Tools, and went to download it again, but then upon downloading got warned of some Adware it contained, did some googling, and found out that the company & program are extremely malicious now and installs with custom created administrator users with multiple parents making uninstall almost impossible.

Anyone know of any good software(freeware) that's good for mounting in Windows (Vista, x86). Obviously I'd like something adware-free; open-source is always nice but not necessary.

Thanks

In the latest version even if you deselect the adware checkbox in installation, it supposedly still creates the users, clogs the registry, and installs the adware service that collects information behind the scenes-- the toolbar just doesn't show up.

I'd prefer to avoid Daemon alltogether for security reasons (installing adware during an update) and because of their business practices.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm too nervous to take the risk :D

You can probably use WinRar to extract the contents to a directory and install from there.

Otherwise the trial of Alcohol 120% should let you mount the ISO and use it. I think it leaves a lot of crap in the registry after an uninstall, but... /shrug

I've used PowerISO and it worked fine. I use Daemon Tools (Lite, I believe) now, though.

Thanks. I went with CloneDrive. I tried using 7zip to extract the install to a folder but MS Visual Studio was very sad when it attempted to install. Alcohol looked good too.

In the past, I used to use Daemon Tools, and went to download it again, but then upon downloading got warned of some Adware it contained, did some googling, and found out that the company & program are extremely malicious now and installs with custom created administrator users with multiple parents making uninstall almost impossible.

Huh? :confused:

I've been using Daemon Tools Lite for several months on XP and Vista 32-bit and I haven't had any hints of slowdown, security alerts, or adware notices. Yes, the installer does contain the option to remove the toolbars and default homepage. I made sure that those components didn't install and I haven't had any problems since.

This might be a slight thread jack, but does anybody know of any software (preferably free) that can map disk images (NOT ISOs). I know Linux has this ability built in with the mount -o loop command but I can't find any Windows equivalent.

Back