Looking for Advice on a 24" LCD.

RumblePen

n00b
I will be using this for PC and Xbox 360. I will not be watching movies on it (or very many, besides uber video image is the last thing I care about when it comes to movies.) I don't use my PC for very much other than web and Word.

I've found three choices:

1. Acer AL2416Wd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009061

2. Dell 2407WFP
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=2407W3Y

3. BenQ FP241W
http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=812&page=specifications

1 & 2 have reports of input lag, banding, ghosting (also have many reviews on Newegg of no such things). They are also out now and affordable. In 2's favor there is Dell support. I'd have to go without a monitor for a week or two if somethings wrong with the Acer.

3. Isn't out yet. I have no idea how much it's going to cost. Nor do I know if there will problems. But it has full HD support. I'm not sure if I even need this. I'm not buying an HDMI Xbox if such a thing ever comes out. And I don't know if connecting the XB via HDMI would be so superior to VGA. But if price is similar to the other two, and there are no problems, I'll want this monitor anyway (besides, maybe I'll need that HDMI support a year or two down the road when I do upgrade my PC)

So I'd like to hear some thoughts on this. How long till that BenQ hits the streets anyway?

I'm in the same boat.... and it seems to be sinking.
I've had a tough choice as well, unfortunately there isn't much out in this size range. I'm mostly concerned with doing digital artwork (photoshop) and gaming. I generally dont watch movies on my computer. I do want to hook up my 360 though. I'm not sure what you prefer but you should decide what your going to be using it for cause it seems you have to make a trade off one way or the other. So this is my quicl sum up for you:

The Philips 230WP7NS seems nice but the black levels dissapoint me. There is slight ghosting.
The Benq is crap a friend of mine has it and if a 2407 can be had for cheaper, thats a no brainer.
Acer is garbage aswell and once again a 2407 comes in at a lower price too.
The Dell really does stand out at its current price point. As you can see people are still buying them regardless of their problems. Dell's problems:
- Component inputs are worthless. Gonna purchase a VGA adapter for 360 as that seems to be the only solution.
- Vertical banding is still present but to minimum. Bothers some people, doesn't bother others, I've seen this first hand with the latest revision and if you sit a good 16" - 20" from the screen its barely noticable unless you look for it.
The Benq FP241W on paper looks good and its price point will be around the same as the ACER and the DELL but only time can tell.

LG.Philips just released a host of new panels mostly TN and PVA panels and I think there was one new 23"PVA and a 26"PVA as well :D !
I'm looking at the Dell as well mainly cause of price, right now in Canada I can get it for $950 taxes and shipping included. Nothing else is that cheap. I don't care about HDCP as I can see neither do you.
So, I suggest if your not huting now wait out till christmas cause either some nicer updated panels will be out or you can get whatevers out now for cheaper.
My Dell comes in 3 days so I'll let you know how it goes.

Waiting's always best, but it sucks playing Oblivion with a measly 14x8 screen! I have my X360 hooked up to a 19' CRT and Oblivion doesn't support 4:3. It either letterboxes or stretches, so I'm stuck with the small picture until I buy a new monitor.

Im in the same boat as well. Was looking for the Dell2407 but there still seems to be some issues, some minor banding among other things with some resolutions not playing nice and component looking god aweful with a 360 and things like that that have deterred me. As such I'm awaitng the new Benq and hoping it's priced competitively. I want HDCP in the monitor which is somewhat limiting my options thus far.

There really hasnt been any news on the Benq since it was announced about 2 - 4 weeks ago. Frustrating as I had hoped to hear some news on it by now. That said my tax money wont arrive for a while still so it doesnt matter a great deal as lonmg as its out in the next 2 months. Man I've now been shopping for a 24" for about 12 months now. My only ask was a "decent" screen with hdcp and only the Dell's had that at a decent price and then it had issues. *sigh*

Smigit, take a look at the samsung 244t.

Doesnt have banding, seems to perform well. Has HDCP.

People were originally reporting input lag when the LCD first hit the streets, but I think that issue has been sorted out since some people who just got one say it works well.

Might want to look into it.

Unfortunatly its almost 50% more expensive than the Dell here $1800 AU as opposed to about $1300 AU (possibly $50 or so less, dells sites down so I cant check) for the Dell. So it's a bit out of my range and as far as I know it (244t) doesnt support HDCP? I'd still be weary about the input lag, I'd need to see what people in Australia are being shipped since it may be hard to know if it is an older one with problems here. Bit hard to know when the ones on the shelves here came off the production line and it's not something I'd trust many stores to accept as a fault and give me a 100% refund if it's not to my taste.

At a forecasted lower price and HDCP the Benq does sound more appealing and failing that for the quite significent price difference I'd probably just settle for the Dell. Thanks for the suggestion but. Like I said this will be purchased with money owing on tax withheld so I have two or three months to get the money so it's not a decision I have to make with any haste.

I dont trust Dell stuff...ok, let me go ahead and call it crap. I am looking for a 24inch lcd as well. I'm hoping the market expands a bit between now and christmas though. All said and done I'll probably be partial to Samsung, as the 19inch sammy I'm on right now has been wonderful for what I use it for. (bit of photoshop work, video, and general surfing etc.)

The BenQ FP241W is showing up on froogle at places like Buy.com with a price tag over a grand. It's also being listed with a contrast ratio of 800:1. The BenQ official site actually lists two contrast ratios depending on what page you view. The features page stats 800:1, the specs page states 1000:1. Which to believe?

Also, are these pre-order prices usually indicitave of actual prices upon availability? I wondering if I should just order that Dell and be done with it.

Back