Looking for advice on LG 32LD550

Biggrich76

Limp Gawd
My Hanspree 28" crapped out on me, and I'm looking for a new monitor. Thinking about getting something bigger and 120hz, used mostly for gaming. WoW, MW2, BFBC2, etc.

Anyone know if this would be any good as a PC monitor? My local BB has 2 of these (open box) for $499.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005153

Or should I just pick up another 28" Hanns-G for $300?

Last edited:
A 120hz TV and computer monitor do not work the same way. The TV inserts frames during post processing and not only would it not give the effect you want when using it on your PC, but it will likely add a very large amount of input lag.

A 120hz TV and computer monitor do not work the same way. The TV inserts frames during post processing and not only would it not give the effect you want when using it on your PC, but it will likely add a very large amount of input lag.

Thanks for the info.

Would a 60hz TV work the same as a 60hz monitor? I read about a lot of people using HDTVs as PC monitors.

If you don't mind having a huge screen with a small resolution. 32" TV will be max 1920x1080 which is a resolution you would normally get with 23-24" computer monitors. Personally I don't see the point of that.

But 60hz TV or monitor should work the same though with most televisions you will have more input lag.

My Hanspree was only 1900x1200 and I'm still using a 4870 video card, so I'm not going much higher than that anyhow.

Are there any decent 32" sets for gaming in the $400-$500 range?

Sony EX400 is around 500$

Low Input lag, responsive, accurate color presets and a high contrast ration/deep black! Image quality will be much better than any of the LG/Panasonic IPS 32" IPS panels.

Read the review:
http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-bravia-kdl-32ex402-p458_9224_16.html
Much better? There might be some room for opinion and preference there.

How's the Sony's VA panel on smearing in games? Would the blacks be crushed typical VA style?

However, the downfall of the EX402 lies in its image processing. The EX402 tends to show speckles of red and green dots in dark areas of the picture, and lacks definition in dark-to-black areas. This can be somewhat annoying in films with lots of low-lit scenes.
I'm of the belief that there are compromises involved with all LCD TV panels, we just have to pick the poison we are willing to live with ;)

BUT, as a concession, there are so few 2010 TV's that qualify as gaming monitors that the Sony EX400 series is pretty much as good as it gets for the moment. The current Sharp's 700UN + 810UN series also qualify but they're usually more expensive and have their own compromises.

And here's the URL i always link in these discussions: LCD TV input lag discussion thread.

OP, chances are the LG you are looking at has high input lag.

Much better? There might be some room for opinion and preference there.

How's the Sony's VA panel on smearing in games? Would the blacks be crushed typical VA style?

I'm of the belief that there are compromises involved with all LCD TV panels, we just have to pick the poison we are willing to live with ;)

BUT, as a concession, there are so few 2010 TV's that qualify as gaming monitors that the Sony EX400 series is pretty much as good as it gets for the moment. The current Sharp's 700UN + 810UN series also qualify but they're usually more expensive and have their own compromises.

And here's the URL i always link in these discussions: LCD TV input lag discussion thread.

Yes the image will be much better. None of the IPS TV's that I'm aware of can go over 1,000:1 in terms of contrast and usually have very poor black levels. I highly doubt someone who liked a hanspreee monitor *no offfence to the OP* will ever notice any motion/PQ problems with the Sony sense they aren't the fastest displays or know for image quality compared to most TN panels.

I highly doubt someone who liked a hanspreee monitor *no offfence to the OP* will ever notice any motion/PQ problems with the Sony

No offense taken, I realize the Hannspree was a low-budget option (even though I paid $550 for it 2 years ago).

So, what is the difference in input lag between the Sony EX400 and my old Hannspree in ms? I was fine with the input lag on my old Hannspree. Pretty sure it was a TN panel. I'm not that picky about viewing angles or color reproduction, I'm more concerned about getting the best "bang for my buck" in terms of size and quality.

And now I'm back to my original question ... would I be better off getting a 27-28" PC monitor? Not necessarily the Hanns-G though. I saw this one for $360 that people seem to like - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091&Tpk=ASUS%20VE276Q%2027. I don't really have a fixed budget, but would like to stay under $600.

Very good info so far, thanks guys.

Last edited:
No offense taken, I realize the Hannspree was a low-budget option (even though I paid $550 for it 2 years ago).

So, what is the difference in input lag between the Sony EX400 and my old Hannspree in ms? I was fine with the input lag on my old Hannspree. Pretty sure it was a TN panel. I'm not that picky about viewing angles or color reproduction, I'm more concerned about getting the best "bang for my buck" in terms of size and quality.

And now I'm back to my original question ... would I be better off getting a 27-28" PC monitor? Not necessarily the Hanns-G though. I saw this one for $360 that people seem to like - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091&Tpk=ASUS%20VE276Q%2027. I don't really have a fixed budget, but would like to stay under $600.

Very good info so far, thanks guys.

It doesn't matter, 23ms if great for most gamers except the ubber hardcore Street Fighter IV and FPS crowd (which you are not?)
In terms of best bang for the buck the Sony is it. I would stay way from the Asus 27" untill there are some real reviews instead of just forum users saying that they like it.

The only other 27" I would consider is the Samusng P2707H (350$ on New Egg)

Review of the 24" version:
http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung-syncmaster-p2470h-p357_8128_36.html

The Sony will still give you a much better picture (a whole new league of image quality), it won't be as fast, but will look much better, where as any 27" monitor will only be a bit of an upgrade (which again no offense you probably will hardly notice.)

I have a friend who uses a JVC that's 32" and natively 1920x1080. It's nice as a monitor. But he doesn't do anytype of gaming besides on a PS3, so I can really comment on that.

I highly doubt someone who liked a hanspreee monitor *no offfence to the OP* will ever notice any motion/PQ problems with the Sony sense they aren't the fastest displays or know for image quality compared to most TN panels.
Ya, i'm thinking the hanspree / hanns-g / I-inc 28" monitors do not have the greatest input lag to begin with. I easily noticed a difference between my 28" I-inc and my CRT monitors, heck my Panny L32S1 seems to be better since my kill/death ratio instantly went up after i swapped, but i'm not sure if input lag was the reason though.

Found the Sony on WalMart's website for $550. I'm going to head to there tomorrow and see if they have one. If they don't, does anyone know where I can find it online with a good return policy for monitors? Thanks.

Found the Sony on WalMart's website for $550. I'm going to head to there tomorrow and see if they have one. If they don't, does anyone know where I can find it online with a good return policy for monitors? Thanks.

Get it from Best Buy (if they have it) their return policy is great

BestBuy.com also has the 32EX400 going for $550: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9761129.p?id=1218168619794

If your local Best Buy has it, then make them pricematch their own website, print a screen shot as well because sometimes they fool you with a "fake" bestbuy website that they use instore to foil people pricematching their own website, sneaky i know, it's happened to me once with a set of speakers and it's been discussed in hot deal forums.

BB doesn't have them in store here, I checked yesterday and just confirmed online. They do have a Samsung 32" on sale though. Would this be a good buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+32%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9775416.p?id=1218171553324&skuId=9775416

They also have the Panny U22 in stock for $499. How is the Panny U22 compared to the Sony on input lag?

Again, I'm looking for " best bank for my buck" so if I can find something a little cheaper that will perform on par with my old Hannspree I will be a happy camper. However, some of the info on input lag, scaling, etc. of TVs in the PC world are making me a bit nervous.

Last edited:
BB doesn't have them in store here, I checked yesterday and just confirmed online. They do have a Samsung 32" on sale though. Would this be a good buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+32%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9775416.p?id=1218171553324&skuId=9775416

They also have the Panny U22 in stock for $499. How is the Panny U22 compared to the Sony on input lag?

Again, I'm looking for " best bank for my buck" so if I can find something a little cheaper that will perform on par with my old Hannspree I will be a happy camper. However, some of the info on input lag, scaling, etc. of TVs in the PC world are making me a bit nervous.

Just order the Sony online BB's website and get the free instore pick up.

Also review sites are your friend, it doesn't take rocket science to go to google.com and type in "Panasonic U22 review."

Just order the Sony online BB's website and get the free instore pick up.

Also review sites are your friend, it doesn't take rocket science to go to google.com and type in "Panasonic U22 review."

I did that, but didn't see any reviews that would give me a concrete number for input lag. I saw in another thread that you had recommended the U22, thought you would have some better info.

I did that, but didn't see any reviews that would give me a concrete number for input lag. I saw in another thread that you had recommended the U22, thought you would have some better info.
That's until we figured out the EX400 series had lower input lag ;)

The U22's input lag numbers range between 37-42ms, good for a 2010 model LCD TV but there are better ones, like the ones we mentioned earlier.

Source? The link i gave you earlier: LCD TV input lag discussion thread

2010 Samsung LCD TV's are a mixed bag with most of them having high input lag. There is a model or two that are decent, with the correct settings, but i cant remember which one(s).

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. I picked up the Sony yesterday at another BB that had them in stock. Had to drive an hour each way, but it was well worth it.

Is there a good place to find calibration settings for PC use?

I played with it a little last night, mostly on Cinema mode and everything seems fine. The input lag is not noticeably different than any of my previous monitors.

Dont want to sound like an idiot but can someone clarify 1900x1080 and 1900x1200 what is the main difference in terms of quality and 16x9 vs 16x10? I am still overwhelmed by all the choices and just want a good price in the $300-400 range for a 27"+ monitor or HDTV for games, text, videos, etc.

The aspect ratios signify the number of horizontal lines per vertical lines of resolution.

Most HDTVs are 16:9 (1280x720, 1920x1080) ie. there are 16 lines of horizontal resolution for every 9 lines of vertical resolution. This is considered the natural aspect ratio which our eyes are most comfortable, so it was deemed the best resolution for TV programming and movies.

Most PC monitors are 16:10 (1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 2560x1600) ie. there are 16 lines of horizontal resolution for every 10 lines of vertical resolution.The extra vertical resolution is desirable for PC use because it adds more "working area".

Older PC games were designed to run in 16:10 resolutions only, but most modern games will have options for both 16:9 and 16:10. Text looks a little worse in 16:9 because of the loss of extra vertical resolution, so web browsing and desktop use suffers slightly.

I liked my Hanspree, it worked well for gaming, browsing, and general PC use. It was relatively cheap (at the time I purchased it) and I have no regrets. Earlier, someone mentioned a 27-inch Samsung monitor for about $350 which would be in your price range. The HDTVs are more expensive, at least the decent ones which you would consider for PC use.

After breaking my Hannspree, I opted for the Sony EX400 32-inch. The info in this thread and some of my own research helped me choose and I am not disappointed. Text is a little blurry, but I'm still tweaking the settings and sharpness to get the best picture. However, after gaming on it last night I am simply amazed by the clarity of the picture, responsiveness and the (lack of) input lag. But it was $595 after tax.

/ wall o' text

Text is a little blurry, but I'm still tweaking the settings and sharpness to get the best picture.

If all text is blurry then it's almost positively a sign that you are not done tweaking yet. For the most part text should be "pretty sharp" if not outright "sharp" with the exception of certain colored text and maybe bolded/italic text combo's.

I wouldn't give up tweaking, or searching for tweaks for that model sony, till you get the fonts looking sharper. LCD televisions are nearly never "plug and play" and require work to get things looking right, unlike PC monitors.

Good to hear that you found a Sony that you were able to pick up in person, as opposed to having it shipped, that was a competitive price after sales tax imho.

Would you guys recommend upgrading to a 32EX400 from a Dell 2407WFP-HC? I usually use my PC for movies and web browsing. I'll play games here and there. Was looking to upgrade to something bigger.

Would you guys recommend upgrading to a 32EX400 from a Dell 2407WFP-HC? I usually use my PC for movies and web browsing. I'll play games here and there. Was looking to upgrade to something bigger.
That's a tough call unless someone has owned both, especially when one of your main uses will be "web browsing" where conventional monitors are usually better.

Unfortunately there's probably only one way to find out, and that's to buy the TV from a place that offers hassle-free refunds in case you don't like the TV. Checkout best buy's policy because i think it was mentioned here that they offer refunds.

Back