Looking for an ultrabook

SuperToast92

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone, I've been doing extensive research recently looking for an ultrabook now that my laptop is (most likely) toasted. I mainly have it narrowed down now to either the Dell XPS 13 or the Samsung Series 9...Does anyone have a recommendation of one over the other, or neither even? Also, if there may be something even better to look out for, please let me know your opinions. :)

I'm mainly looking for something with more than 4GB of RAM, preferrably 8, Windows 7 with no touch screen, and a 1080p screen (or 900p, in the case of the Samsung)...am I correct that my selections are quite limited with these preferences? lol

Hopefully someone can help me decide, or give a recommendation or two. It would be greatly appreciated.

I'd normally suggest the Thinkpad x230 -- 12.5" IPS screen, 8GB RAM, Win 7/8, mSATA slot to add an SSD if you want (or just get an SSD for main drive), etc.

Problem is that you aren't going to get high resolution, just 1366x768. Doesn't bother me personally, given the small size of the screen, but if you have a legit need for that much area then you... have a legit need for it.

Not everyone needs it though, so it's something to consider if it isn't a vital part of your purchase.

Thanks for the replies! So I guess the XPS 13 may be a good thing to stay away from considering we had two Dell laptops fail on us just recently... 1080p isn't AS much of a concern to me compared to what else I'm looking for, but it would be nice to have. I'll be missing my 1080p screen from my XPS 15, but I'd get over it since I'm only looking for something to do coding and use other productivity software (computer engineering student stuff :) ).

I've also eyed up the Samsung Series 7 Ultra, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, at least here in the US. Is THIS it?

Oh, right, my link was a series 9. Duh! Thanks. Does the 7 Ultra come with a non-touch flavor by chance?

Nope, there is a deal for the last version of the Samsung 9 Series on Newegg that comes with a free tablet for $900 if you are interested in a non-touch.

Not sure if the RAM/mSata is upgradeable on all Series 9 models though....

So someone was nice enough to return a perfectly working Series 7 to my local Best Buy just in time for their 10% off Open Box Memorial Day Sale. :D

The thing is really great, just disable the keyboard back light (seriously did you hire your testers on the basis that they couldn't see the visible light spectrum?) as well as the autoscreen brightness so you don't go blind

Maybe that was me if your in Vegas lol. I really wanted to like the Series 7, especially being able to upgrade the RAM is a huge boon. I have had a ton of laptops at work and home and pretty much all of them had matte displays. My current x220 has a matte IPS display that is fantastic, unfortunately it is only 1366x768. I have been programming alot lately and I hate this resolution. I think I will wait to see what haswell brings for either the series 9 or Macbook. Either way if you didn't mind the gloss screen it was a great laptop.

Alright, I've been researching on and off for the past couple of weeks, and I really like this model. I wouldn't really care for a touchscreen, and I'd prefer Win7.

The one thing that's bothering me right now is deciding on just when to get an ultrabook. If Haswell ultrabook selections roll out by August, I may just wait til then. Otherwise, I'm worried that the ivy machines may start running dry in stock in the meantime.

Back