Looking for "best" *portrait* monitors: U2410 or something else?

courteous

Weaksauce
(1) Is there anything larger than 24'' (1920x1200) that has a pivot/rotate stand? :confused: E.g. I know that U2711 doesn't and this means extra $$$ for the stand.

(2) I could get U2410 revision A05 (though, as you know, only hardware changes were made from A00 to A01). Should I play "the Dell lottery" for the 3rd time (first 2 tries went well)? :) What are the chances to get a "tinted" monitor "due to the LG IPS LM240WU4 family of panels" (see official Dell forum)?

(3) Who are portrait-U2410's competition? :confused:

Last edited:
dangbrandon, too expensive (for a stand) ... and shipping cost to EU (from mountedconcepts.com) is $570 :eek:

three4seven, this ... is ... amazing. I wouldn't have found this no matter how long I'd search! Such a great price! Thank you for pointing out that I really need to look only the TV mounts (seems the manufactures know that no TV owner would pay $300+ for a mount ... only minority of PC users :D ) Thank you.

Now I need to persuade monoprice to ship to my not-listed country ... or find similar deal in EU. :)

Just looked at HP ZR24w ... and can get it for $100 less (than U2410). But, it doesn't have HDMI, so I'll have to use DisplayPort ... which means that I need to connect U2711 @ 2560x1440 via HDMI. [Because my GPU has 1x DVI, 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.]

Now, is this possible? Is it possible to have 2560x1440 via HDMI 1.3+ cable? :confused: I mean, the HDMI specs say it is ... but, is it only the matter of appropriate HDMI 1.3+ cable ... or does it have to do with U2711's electronics?

Any 1st hand experience with this?

Just looked at HP ZR24w ... and can get it for $100 less (than U2410). But, it doesn't have HDMI, so I'll have to use DisplayPort ... which means that I need to connect U2711 @ 2560x1440 via HDMI. [Because my GPU has 1x DVI, 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.]

Now, is this possible? Is it possible to have 2560x1440 via HDMI 1.3+ cable? :confused: I mean, the HDMI specs say it is ... but, is it only the matter of appropriate HDMI 1.3+ cable ... or does it have to do with U2711's electronics?

Are you driving three monitors with an ATI card?

HDMI almost certainly won't work for your for your U2711 at full resolution. You will likely get 1920x1080 max.

You can drive it to full resolution with DVI (dual link) or DP.

If you are driving 3 monitors and NEED to use the HDMI, just get a cheap (<$5) HDMI to DVI converter and use that to drive the ZR24w. HDMI is electrically identical to single link DVI and you just need a cheap adapter that matches up the connectors.

Then you still have DL-DVI/DP to drive your other monitors.

If you are just planning on 2 monitors, then why do you need to use HDMI when you have DVI and DP as well?

May I ask what you need these for?

If it's for work and you're less that 7'2" I wouldn't recommend any larger than 24" in portrait because it is going to be uncomfortable. I use a 24" in portrait, with another landscape and I'm going to add another portrait 24" (amazing for text/ code). The other option is to buy some 32" monitors and keep them landscape.

One cool thing about DVI, Displayport and HDMI is they're very similar technologies and can all be converted into one another.

Snowdog, thank you for the DVI-HDMI converter suggestion. But does then HDMI display the 1920x1200 resolution?

Wiseguy, mainly for work ... I'm tired of scrolling.

EDIT: I really have to again say thank you to three4seven for his great suggestion. :)

Last edited:
I'd go with the 24s to start with (bigger will strain your neck) and you can get three for the price of one 32" display.

I'm using 2 zr24w's (and a 3rd when I finish decorating) I like them, they have less AG coating than the u2410 which is meant to lead to sharper text. Another option is Dell u2711 which are about the same width as a 24" but much higher resolution (but I prefer the higher dot pitch on the 24" as I find it easier on the eye).

Snowdog, thank you for the DVI-HDMI converter suggestion. But does then HDMI display the 1920x1200 resolution?

Yes, HDMI is identical to single link DVI, you can drive up to 1920x1200.

I assume you have an ATI card? Because NVidia cards can only drive two monitors at a time.

If you want to drive three monitors above 1920x1200, you will need a different card, with at least one DVI-Dual Link and two DP outputs.

Yes, a spartan HD 5450 with 1x DVI (aren't nowadays all "Dual-Link"?), 1x DisplayPort, and 1x HDMI. I thought this GPU would suffice for 3 monitors?! :confused:

Wiseguy, I agree with you on dot pitch ... "unfortunately", the U2711 is already on its way. We'll see how its dot pitch and my not-quite-20/20 sight will go along. :D Otherwise, I'll sell it on immediately (unless return shipping is free, which I doubt).

You can drive three monitors, but I don't think you will ever get more than 1920x1200 out of the HDMI port.

That will be enough for the HP. BTW, does HP also have (secret :rolleyes:) revisions like Dell does? If so, in which revision is the HP ZR24w?

I tried the NEC PA271 in portrait -- it looks awesome, a hulking monolith of screen estate, but it's completely unusable. The extremes are just too uncomfortable to look at, you lose a solid third of your monitor.

I know that there are a number of people with 3x30 in portrait, but perhaps the extra width of the 30" + the extra 2 monitors mitigate the usability issues.

Hazro has a 27" that rotates to portrait; depending on your location, they could be quite economical:

http://www.hazro.com/HZ27WB.php

The long-awaited Samsung PLS 27" also rotates to portrait.

Hello cvgd. :) The NEC is $1400+ ... and the Samsung isn't on sale yet (or is it?).

I've seen the Hazro thread and was (and still am) intrigued by their $$$/performance ratio ... but, I'm mainly worried about the longevity of the Hazro firm itself. :( [If I recall correctly, the Hazro was already twice (?) "restructured" (or something of that sort).]

cvgd, would you (or did you) buy one of the Hazros? :) I have "big eyes" as I'm just now looking at the "A", "B", and "C" versions ... though, not sure which (if any) to choose. :D

I've seen 30" lcds in portrait using this mount:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5561&seq=1&format=2

Pretty much allows you to use any monitor in portrait mode without issue.

I've already asked three4seven directly, but more heads know more:

where to get this (or similar) stand from EU? Namely, the weight of the stand makes the shipping cost twice the unit ... plus, there'll be some taxes. :rolleyes:

And also, is there any non-generic name related to this stand to ease the search?

I've already asked three4seven directly, but more heads know more:

where to get this (or similar) stand from EU? Namely, the weight of the stand makes the shipping cost twice the unit ... plus, there'll be some taxes. :rolleyes:

And also, is there any non-generic name related to this stand to ease the search?

Ergotron might have something.

Not for $27.20. :rolleyes:

In post #19 I'm asking how can I find this stand in EU*? Does this stand have any specific name ... because, generic name of "Adjustable Tilting DUAL Desk Mount Bracket for LCD" is useless.

* Because the shipping from North America to EUrope is expensive (mind the weight)! Twice the stand itself! :eek:

Hello cvgd. :) The NEC is $1400+ ... and the Samsung isn't on sale yet (or is it?).

I've seen the Hazro thread and was (and still am) intrigued by their $$$/performance ratio ... but, I'm mainly worried about the longevity of the Hazro firm itself. :( [If I recall correctly, the Hazro was already twice (?) "restructured" (or something of that sort).]

cvgd, would you (or did you) buy one of the Hazros? :) I have "big eyes" as I'm just now looking at the "A", "B", and "C" versions ... though, not sure which (if any) to choose. :D

The NEC PA271W is definitely pricey, but can occasionally be found in the states for under $1100, without spectraview.

There is a Hazro rep on the forums; he or she participated in one of the threads here. I understand concerns about the longevity of the company, but honestly, it seems well-priced into the product. The main reason I bought the NEC was because I wanted a decent five year warranty. I hadn't purchased a monitor like that in the past, and wanted the additional peace of mind, so I paid for it. You may be able to purchase a third party warranty, through something like squaretrade, if it's an issue, but this pushes you into a price region with which you seem uncomfortable.

The Hazro is a little over half the price of the NEC, and the one that rotates into portrait (HZ27WB) doesn't have a scaler or many inputs. The casing and stand are aluminum, look well built, and seem to be well-though of by reviewers. The monitor is simple and to the point; the backlight and power supply are the only things likely to go bad. If you want to do your due diligence, see if you can find out details about the power supply and caps used; they are a frequent point of failure in larger monitors.

I would definitely consider the Hazro if it wasn't so pricey to ship to the States, above some of the other brands (doublesight, etc) that have similar offerings.

The Samsung is not on the market yet, but should be within a month or two, according to the latest press release. I don't know if it's a global rollout or not. A lot of people have their hopes invested in the Samsung having a lighter antiglare coating (or simply a different antiglare coating than that used by LG, which manufactures all of the current IPS monitor panels, and uses basically the same antiglare on all of them), and if Samsung's cPVA and PVA panels are representative, it's a safe bet. It also features a new variant on IPS, and the color characteristics are "to be determined."

Honestly, I think you should reconsider the notion of using a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitor in portrait. The usable space over a 1920x1200 isn't as much as it would seem, and you could fairly easily buy two HP ZR24 for less than a single 27"; HPs monitors are utilitarian, but have decent picture quality, warranty, and ergonomics.

I tried the NEC PA271 in portrait -- it looks awesome, a hulking monolith of screen estate, but it's completely unusable. The extremes are just too uncomfortable to look at, you lose a solid third of your monitor.

Yeah, I tried my 24" in portrait and even that was too much for me. I had a 20" 1600x1200 that I thought was perfect in portrait, but I really wouldn't want to go much beyond that.

cvgd, very articulated response. Will certainly consider Hazro, thank you.

hajalie, the Dell 2709W (for instance) has two "pins" on top of its VESA stand (just searched and couldn't find an image; any 2709W who unscrewed the stand knows "what I'm talking about" :)) ... and I think Dell engineers put it there for a reason. So this is the only thing that worries.

Anyway, the $30 stand is on its way (with its $60 shipping :rolleyes:) and I'll report if everything goes well ... that is, if those two pins (I guess U2711 has similar ones) can be oriented horizontally. Then one can ditch those overpriced Ergotron stands. :eek:

Back