Looking for: Best Quality Speaker Setup

Sure, if that is what you are comfortable with but it looks like the sub they give you is a bit on the small side so probably doesn't have great bottom end.

Are you sure you're not confusing the amplifier with the sub? You have to press the "Photos" link on the axiom page to see the sub...

Originally Posted by Zetherin:

Why do you feel more secure buying only speakers that say computer?

I mean, the only difference with most computer speakers is that they sound shittier and the out in the back is different (in order to hook up to a computer with ease), no?

I was hoping that someone would say I'm wrong and recommend a great 5.1. computer system alternative.

But according to countless reviews, the new Axiom computer speakers are not shitty at all. To bad they don't have a 5.1 version of that system yet.

Their 2.1 system remains my number 1 choice for my upgrade in August.

if your sound card has rca use rca if not rca from reciever to mini headphone jack cable required.

All you need for good sound is the following.
1. Harmon/Kardon reciever/amp - Model AVR 240 for about $250,
2. Infinity Primus Theater Pack $300
3. Infinity PS-28 Sub $200

No need to go with speakers that are computer specific. I think it's a big mistake to overlook all these suggested alternatives. You guys have given some great recommendations.

Yeah. Just ignore me specifically. I know nothing.

2 good speakers, one good sub, one good receiver. If you want surround, just buy more of the same speakers later on. This way, you eventually have a surround system if you insist on it.

Trust me. You will be happy with the axiom sure. They make fine products.

However, I know how much more you get with av123.

You don't.

Cheers!

Hey Spaceman.

Thanks for your input. You're right, there's no doubt these are excellent speakers. Are you speaking from experience or are you just assuming the ELT525 monitors are a better choice than the Axiom computer speakers..?

To me, the axiom route seems less complicated... You get a sub and an amp with the 2 monitors, all in one package. That's all.

Besides, we have to take into account that the av123 subwoofer is $700. While the Axiom one is $200.

So av123 may be of higher quality, but it really shows in the price. Perhaps Axiom is offering excellent value.

Just in case anyone was interested
the link that i posted above belongs to the Destiny 6000s
Priced to move at $74,000, the Destiny 6000s rock four 15" woofers in that bass horn and a titanium horn tweeter up top. The biggest two way speakers ever? Probably. Total dimensions are 7' 10" tall, 5' 4" wide, and 4' deep. 450lbs each.
For a measly $4k you can have wood veneer instead of concrete grey. For $2-3k the manufacturer will deliver and set them up in your underground lair or wherever you plan on putting these things. How do they sound? The marketing department in action:
Everyone who has auditioned these loudspeakers are blown away. Many hi-end audio veterans, including reviewers, have said they have never heard music reproduction sound any better, anywhere, any time!

Besides, we have to take into account that the av123 subwoofer is $700. While the Axiom one is $200.

So av123 may be of higher quality, but it really shows in the price. Perhaps Axiom is offering excellent value.

Actually, the x-sub is $220-ish, but they JUST retired it, so now you can only see the x-statik which is $700.

Do you have a seperate budget set aside for the amplifier/receiver, or do you own one already? An amp can take a good bite out of that $800 budget.

Personally i recommend you take your sweet time researching the speakers, even audition some if you can, then wait for a good liquidation deal to pop up (liquidation would mean a 40-75% discount off the regular price).

Here's a receiver to research: The Onkyo TX-SR605...just a few months ago you couldn't touch one for less than $400, but they've since been discontinued, hence the refurbs popping up. Unlike computer hardware refurbs, audio refurbs are highly desired and accepted by the audio community. Not to mention the TX-SR605 has most of the latest features a tech-geek would want (it isn't pass-thru HDMI either, it's the real deal).

if he's gonna use it with a PC, he'll WANT pass-thru HDMI.

My Onkyo TX-SR606 craps its pants when I send it a 1080p PC signal (60Hz) It wont even pass it thru without flipping out. And i'm not happy about it....

wow that sucks about the 606. I was looking to buy that but opted for the Denon 1709. The video upconversion is better but dones't pass audio over HDMI, bummer.

I do not use HDMI. Especially with pc. Just too many software conflicts still.

I was not advocating getting the sub from av123. I realize that their current subs are too expensive for the op.

bic acoustic is my budget sub of choice atm. for subs, I always prefer a well powered 12" and up. the 8"-10" are fine but you miss some of the real low tones. Important imo. Especially for gaming and movies.

yes I may be tone deaf lol. DOUBT IT!!

it is true that everyone hears different. the Energy Mini is a great little speaker too. just that the X-LS ninja I had was the best $300 speaker I have ever heard. The ELT monitor is a step towards the av123 reference series which is a detail monster. So you get detail and slam with the ELTs.

Just how I would spend my $$. I am not an authority at all. Just experienced. Have you ever been? lol

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...inch-500-Watt-Subwoofer/2054059/product.html?

lol those horns would be great desktop speakers......if you were 30 ft tall.

Are you sure you're not confusing the amplifier with the sub? You have to press the "Photos" link on the axiom page to see the sub...

Ok, my mistake. Looked again and it is the amp. But if it has a separate amp anyway what makes it better as a computer setup? It has mini jacks instead of RCA? That's no advantage.

if he's gonna use it with a PC, he'll WANT pass-thru HDMI.

My Onkyo TX-SR606 craps its pants when I send it a 1080p PC signal (60Hz) It wont even pass it thru without flipping out. And i'm not happy about it....

Better take it back and get the 505 then. ;)

The Yamaha RXV-663 (the direct competitor for the Onkyo 606) does HDMI pass-through fine (as well as HDMI audio in) in my setup with an HTPC at 1920x1080/60hz, except with PowerDVD7, but then PDVD7 is a sack of dog poo. The real reason I chose it over the 606 though is that the 663 has pre-outs if you want to use external amps later.

Sherwood 6500 Receiver for $120 and these speakers

The Sherwood 6500 is a new, audio focused receiver. It is cheap to buy but the build quality and sound is better than any receiver I have had. This includes the Onkyo 805, Pioneer 515-K and Yamaha 363. They were all good but I like the Sherwood best.

When did you buy the Sherwoods? Because the 805 ($1000) and 363 both came out within 6 months ago, so you bought both then sold them for a $120 receiver?

I'm impressed though, you gave up connectivity and any kind of signal processing whatsoever (the Sherwood can't even decode DTS which has been around since 1993), ostensibly for "sound quality". And this is comparing with against the Yammy, which can decode everything and has hdmi outs.

As far as buying a $1000 receiver with Burr Brown PCM1796 DACs and the most powerful amplifier section in any receiver 1k and under, and then returning it for a $120 receiver I'm even more impressed.

And why is the Pioneer 515K in this list? It's 4 years and old one of the worst reviewed receivers of all time.

So tell me if I'm wrong, you owned the Pioneer for 3 years, then a few months ago you went completely spontaneous, bought 3 different receivers in completely difference price classes with completely different features and chose the $120 one that has two signal processing options: the original Dolby Digital 5.1, or Pro Logic II matrix.

I took to the 6500 mostly b/c I only use it for digital stereo aka 2.1. If you have enough $$ for a 5.1 system that can actually benefit from the newer surround codecs, you are not looking for a cheap receiver anyway.

I also use a vga converter for the 360 so hdmi = no need.

For surround I certainly would go with the 363 or 805 but in terms of strictly stereo the 6500 + Trends audio UD-10 usb to coax converter + vista laptop + winamp lossless for music delivers well enough. I do intend to upgrade to the av123 X-Empower as soon as it is released. I put the money saved from "downgrading" aside for this future purchase.

I am only advocating the 6500 as a budget buy. The amp is strong and clean and allows for direct digital input from an external source. This allows for component add-ons down the road while keeping a decent amp and headphone amp. I am trying to offer building block components for those of us with limited incomes.

wow that sucks about the 606. I was looking to buy that but opted for the Denon 1709. The video upconversion is better but dones't pass audio over HDMI, bummer.

Why would you want to pass audioover HDMI ,isnt the point of the reciever to process and output the sound? (that's why I bought one)

I dont care about video upconversion at all. any source I will have will be digital...ps3, xbox, pc, standalone player... so all I need is pass thru.

I think im gonna call onkyo support about my problem.

I do not use HDMI. Especially with pc. Just too many software conflicts still.

I was not advocating getting the sub from av123. I realize that their current subs are too expensive for the op.

bic acoustic is my budget sub of choice atm. for subs, I always prefer a well powered 12" and up. the 8"-10" are fine but you miss some of the real low tones. Important imo. Especially for gaming and movies.

yes I may be tone deaf lol. DOUBT IT!!

it is true that everyone hears different. the Energy Mini is a great little speaker too. just that the X-LS ninja I had was the best $300 speaker I have ever heard. The ELT monitor is a step towards the av123 reference series which is a detail monster. So you get detail and slam with the ELTs.

Just how I would spend my $$. I am not an authority at all. Just experienced. Have you ever been? lol

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...inch-500-Watt-Subwoofer/2054059/product.html?

What software conflicts? I've played a number of games and apps, and played blu ray and HD DVD movies (with internal driver and PowerDVD) and havemt seen any issues?
I'm using the HDMI to a 1080p LCD TV.

What software conflicts? I've played a number of games and apps, and played blu ray and HD DVD movies (with internal driver and PowerDVD) and havemt seen any issues?
I'm using the HDMI to a 1080p LCD TV.

Some people have no issues. Many do though. This is true for every new tech but the main issue is generally with digital cable boxes software and just plain wonky-ness.

A few examples of problems below.

http://www.av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=34636

I know this is 4 pages in and I'm sorry I can't stand reading 4 pages on My blackberry, but I own an onkyo 705 and have done lots of work with the 605.

I feel its a great unit and very fairly priced for hdmi 1.3.
I would have gone for the 605 but I needed 3 hdmi ports.

Also, I didn't do too much researching, but I also wanted multi channel for 7.1 from My computer.

I looked for the best price online... Which was refurbef for 440 and I went to ABC to price match it. I got the 705 for 440 after tax.

Got mine for $580 shipped on amazon a while back, brand new for the 805.

Btw spaceman, what did you do with the 805? Sell it or return it? I imagine you lost money on that transaction either way...

Honestly the new Yamaha RX series is better future-proofing in features than the Onkyo. The 805 is mainly about power and the the DACs. The DSP modes are kinda crappy and the crossover system is flawed.

Sold it for $500 lol. I rarely lose money on gear or real estate.

Both were never going to be utilized fully. At the time, my room was HORRIBLE. I just bought another house with a massive basement for some real HT. Be a few months until it is all done though.

Yamaha is great true. Just want the av123 x-empower or x-hub + monoblocks whenever it comes out. I am pretty certain the dac on that unit will be special for the $$. Plus usb input is very much of a good thing.

Thread Resurrection - got the Onkyo in and setup.

I am pleased, 5/10 food stamps.

Audio wise, the Onkyo drives just as well as my older Pioneer - which isn't a bad thing, though I can hear the long-timers on the board screaming already.

Now, where the Onkyo unit REALLY shines is connectivity and decoding and switching. I just added an absolute BOAT LOAD of capability to my system, for a damn fine price. HDMI switching, Component switching, some S-video, some composite...

I'm seriously considering pulling all of my audio sources out of my switchbox and bringing everything directly into the Onkyo.

The decoding prowess of the Onkyo is a big benefit, also. Neo 6 makes the stereo output of my Wii and DVD player much better - the new Neo 6 decoder has a lot better grasp on what to do with a stereo source in a 5.1 environment. Having the subwoofer actually fire in any mode but 5.1 channel direct is a big plus, too.

Let me restate that. Having the subwoofer fire on any source other than 5.1 direct is a BIG plus. I built this sub so I could watch movies with it, and now I can!

Thanks for the reccie - keep a peeper peeled for the aforementioned Onkyo.

Thread Resurrection - got the Onkyo in and setup.

I am pleased, 5/10 food stamps.

Audio wise, the Onkyo drives just as well as my older Pioneer - which isn't a bad thing, though I can hear the long-timers on the board screaming already.

Now, where the Onkyo unit REALLY shines is connectivity and decoding and switching. I just added an absolute BOAT LOAD of capability to my system, for a damn fine price. HDMI switching, Component switching, some S-video, some composite...

I'm seriously considering pulling all of my audio sources out of my switchbox and bringing everything directly into the Onkyo.

The decoding prowess of the Onkyo is a big benefit, also. Neo 6 makes the stereo output of my Wii and DVD player much better - the new Neo 6 decoder has a lot better grasp on what to do with a stereo source in a 5.1 environment. Having the subwoofer actually fire in any mode but 5.1 channel direct is a big plus, too.

Let me restate that. Having the subwoofer fire on any source other than 5.1 direct is a BIG plus. I built this sub so I could watch movies with it, and now I can!

Thanks for the reccie - keep a peeper peeled for the aforementioned Onkyo.

Can you be more specific - which Onkyo?

Thanks.

I enjoy checking my locally owned speaker shops for great deals. I bought a pair of new PhaseTechnology Teatro 4.5's for $20 a speaker, during a sidewalk sale at a local dealership.

I know that the 4.5's aren't the best speakers out there, you can't beat that deal with a stick.

Show you're local audio-shops some love once in a while, and you will definitely be rewarded.

Back