Looking for Cellphone

Mexi1010

n00b
Hi everyone, I just wanted some suggestions on what cellphone to buy. I use AT&T as a carrier and would like the following options:

1. NOT a flip phone
2. A QWERTY Keyboard
3. mp3 Playback

I have been searching around for different phones like this, but I would like an opinion from someone who actually owns the phone so that I can know how happy they are with it.

Thanks

Using the Blackberry Curve 8310 ... and so far loving it. Music player, GPS, email, and web browsing ...

BlackBerry Curve 8320

Wi-Fi + nice camera + music player + e-mail/internet = Best BB ever

I love mine! :D

iPhone. But get it and unlock it for Tmobile. AT&T sucks balls.

Also, when you Jailbreak it (must do before you unlock -- can still do this if you don't unlock it and stay on AT&T) you can install a crap load of applications on it. I used to be a cellphone whore, have had every type of SE, Moto, BB phone you could name, the iPhone tops them all. (Jailbreaking and unlocking do not void warranty, no matter what they say in the store AND they are fully reversible)

if you are interested in that, check out www.hackint0sh.org 's forum for info on unlocking and stuff.

I've had a Dash (Excalibur) for a few months. It's nice and thin, but it has its quirks. Does run WM6 though.

I have the HTC TyTn II (sometimes under the AT&T name "Tilt"). Kickass phone with tons of features but may be out of many peoples price ranges.

I've been with AT&T for a while (currently using a w810i), I have an grandfathered plan where I get unlimited anytime for $40 a month. Right now, they are F-ing me on switching to an iPhone, because they say I have to give up my plan to get it, then pay $120 for unlimited. Point of that story is that I have looked around at everything else they have to offer. Personally, I can't stand the Tilt. Windows Mobile is nice if you have to sue it for work and sync with Exchange or something. My co-worker bought one and let me play around with it, I just wasn't a huge fan. Others swear by it and I think HTC makes a decent product, but Windows Mobile is not for me. However, it does have expandable memory and it can play MP3s. If you buy it and a decent size memory card it costs at least as much as the iPhone and probably will not have as much space. My work phone is a Verizon Pearl and I love it. Never thoguh I would like a Blackberry and never thought I would like the Pearl keyboard, but I was wrong. I think as a phone, the Pearl is better than the curve becasue I can one hand or two hand type and it's still qwerty. My brother has the Curve and it's very nice too and probably better for the heavy mobile emailer and texter. Some people like the Wi-Fi, but if you have unlimited data I'm not sure how great that would be. It's definitely going to be faster than wireless data, but for me I don't seek out a hotspot to browse on my phone. My bro opted for the GPS model, which is ok as well, but I still think I'd rather have a seperate GPS system, especially since you have to downlaod a program to keep the BB backlight on all the time. So if you go with the curve, it's up to you on which model fits your needs. I only want the iPhone at this point because I already have a Blackberry.

Jailbreaking an iphone and doing what you wish with it is always an option. For me, I'd prefer not to worry about all that, but it can't be but so much of a hassle as there are many people who do it. As for AT&T service, I don't think it's bad, but that varies depending on where you are. Some places my AT&T phone has signal and my Verizon doesn't, and vice versa. Overall, I think the verizon has better reception, but it seems like the calls take a while to connect. My AT&T phone always starts ringing faster. T-mobile I can only comment on from what I have seen. My roommate had them for the past two years and was never happy. Often we would call his number and get busy signals or messages that the number was not in service. Sometimes it would fix itself, some times he had to call. He also contantly complained about dropped calls (I think he has been that way about every phone service he ever had, to be fair). When he got a bill that was double his normal ammount (not sure why) he called up told him how he felt about the service and they let him out of his contract. Personally, this has scared me away form T-Mobile, but I also have no reason to switch.

All said and done, I think the iPhone is the way to go. That is if you can get over the touchpad typing. I have a hard time with it. You're not going to beat 16gb of space for music, it's got a huge, good looking screen, lots of peripherals, 3rd party apps on the way, and a undeniable cool factor. If you have to have a keyboard, go with a BB. They are really customizable, there are a bunch of 3rd party apps, I know my pearl has expandable memory, and I know it plays MP3s.

htc dash its amazing wifi windows mobile get get any better than that

all the windows mobil phones ive used suck horribly

palm treo700 and that LG phone that has the slide out keyboard

seemed to slow for what i wanted

I don't have a problem with ATT service.. in fact they are the third I've tried and with them I can actually get phone calls in my house.. so I'm happy with the for the most part..

but I'm thinking of getting the Tilt, but honestly I don't want to pay that much for it... my contract is expired already and I've never gotten a phone from them, I brought my own unlocked phone, but they still won't give me any discount other than the 'upgrade phone' discount which still puts the Tilt over $200...

but I was thining of the Tilt because of the wifi and keyboard and WM6, and also the fact that it can be flashed as well.. my old windows mobile can't be upgraded or flashed..

Back