Looking for cheap, bassy headphones

bitgod

Gawd
So my normal phones are Sennheiser 598s, perfectly fine headphones. Sometimes I like to listen to something with a bunch of bass in it, sometimes maybe a lil of that dubstep. So my thought was that I wanted a second cheap headphone that has a bunch of bass in it.

I was looking at the JVC harx 700, but didn't see a lot of info on how it was on the bass end. I was also looking at the Sony XB500, and since that one got recommended a lot, I decided to just go with that and ordered one.

Well it's going to be going back because it's got a buzz on the left side with certain frequencies. I can play a song and not hear the buzz,and then start another and hear it. I'm just not sure if I want a replacement or a refund. I wasn't crazy about the over-all sound quality, but then I guess that's what I get for trying a bass heavy headphone. How's the harx 700, does that have a little more middle ground in that it's maybe got more bass than the 598, but doesn't totally make everything bassy? I'm basically looking for something in the $30-50ish range. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed, though I would expect closed for the bass.

i own the RX700 headphones I think they sound quite good indeed especially for the $30~ish i paid for them.

There is also the RX900 which are about $56~ or so i think... I believe they may be thought to have more bass than the RX700s... personally i think the lows , mids and highs are all just about right with the RX700s.

I've owned mine since the beginning of the year and they are holding up nicely... I am tempted to get the RX900s to try them out and compare but i haven't yet. I really like my RX700s however.

Sony XB500 are always recommend for the best cheap bass headphones, I'd go for them.

I wish Sennheiser didn't discontinue the HD212 Pro. They are by far my favorite inexpensive headphones despite what some my say and they also have a ton of bass. That would have been my recommendation.

The HA-RX700 are a good choice in that price range IMO, pretty comfortable and fits your description. Can be a bit boomy but it's not too bad.

Shure 750DJs are the best bass lover's headphones I have ever owned.

They go on sale for $88 (more than your stated budget but I think they are a steal at that price since normally they are around $150).
I have purchased almost every pair of under $200 headphones over the years and these are my favourites by far.
The only bad thing I can say about them is that they are not very comfortable after a couple hours (very tight clamp).
But they sound GREAT to me and the bass is really in it's own league.
That tight clamp helps makes the HUGE bass so I accept the pain. :)
These headphones turn dubstep into a mystical experience!

My Senn HD555s (modded to 595s) are what I wear when I want comfort over bass.
So if you are a bass connoisseur then you owe it to yourself to at least try the 750DJs, they have a 50mm driver and you can actually feel the bass.
And it's not like they are some muddy bass heavy headphones, classical and bossa nova sounds great on them as well.

For normal people I always recommend the HD 555s on sale for $130.
But we are not normal!

Last edited:
If you want to go dirt cheap, Skull Candy would be perfect for you. They have super loud bass, but IMO, I think their bass is crap.

I decided to go ahead and try the RX700, got that coming in before I send the XB500 back. Thanks for the AKG suggestion, it looked interesting but the people complaining about the tightness scared me away, I've got a big noggin.

Ok, got the HA-RX700s. I would say they have a little more bass than my 598s, not the crazy bass the XB500 has. The harx 700s are a good all-around headphone, and I'd say if someone is looking for a <$40 pair of headphones, these aren't bad.

I would say the least comfortable of the 3 headphones, but not uncomfortable, I spent a few hours playing Borderlands 2 last night. I'm going to keep these at least, they're cheap enough.

Not sure yet on the XB500 if I'm going to refund or replace. It's definitely bass crazy, but maybe a little too much.

You should probably consider selling the 598s and look into Beyer 880s honestly.

Look for a cheap pair of used Beyer 770s if you want a comfy boomer though they are a bit more than your budget.

Back