Looking for good quality low cost 2.1 solution

I'm looking to get some new speakers to replace the 2.1 crappy speakers that just died on my a few weeks ago. I'm looking to try to spend under $100 but I want something that gives good quality sound with a good amount of bass ability.

I'm looking for either 2.1 of 5.1 speakers (I said 2.1 because I can probably get better quality for my price range than I can with 5.1 at that price range).

I was looking into either Logitech, Cyber Accoustics, Creative Labs or Altec Lansing. I have no preference on whether or not they are wired or wireless just as long as their are no disadvantages to wireless over wired.

I really don't know a whole lot about speaker systems when it comes to computers, I really have just started to care what my games and music sound like.

The best 2.1 system is Klipsch Promedia 2.1. You can get it for around $120; even less if you find an "open box" deal online.

kill4killin said:
I'm looking to get some new speakers to replace the 2.1 crappy speakers that just died on my a few weeks ago. I'm looking to try to spend under $100 but I want something that gives good quality sound with a good amount of bass ability.

I'm looking for either 2.1 of 5.1 speakers (I said 2.1 because I can probably get better quality for my price range than I can with 5.1 at that price range).

I was looking into either Logitech, Cyber Accoustics, Creative Labs or Altec Lansing. I have no preference on whether or not they are wired or wireless just as long as their are no disadvantages to wireless over wired.

I really don't know a whole lot about speaker systems when it comes to computers, I really have just started to care what my games and music sound like.

For games, 5.1 surround sound setup is recommended. Do you have a soundcard or are you using an onboard solution? Logitech X-530s go for ~$50 and give you surround sound.. but it might lack in the bass area. From what I year, Logitech Z-5300e's have a boomy subwoofer - ideal for games, less for audiophile quality music (but if you're not an audiophile, don't worry, your music will still sound good). They go for ~$130ish.

Primarily for music, a 2.1 system will be sufficient and the Klipsch Promedia's are top notch (but may be over your price range). Have a look at the Logitech Z-2300s for approx ~$100. The mids and highs are not that great (thus may perform slightly below par when you're playing music), but the bass is LOUD - good for games!

I am not an audiophile per say, however, I do want it to be able to play all the right parts in a way that I can hear them clearly and crisply. I create my own music and often get asked to mix tracks for people who need some stuff done for a party or the like so I need to be able to hear everything I'm doing well. I'm thinking the promedia ones will be what I get since they seem to be well recommended no matter who or where I ask, keep the suggestions comming though.

::EDIT::

I forgot to mention, I am also on onboard, but my motherboard supports 7 channel audio so for now I see no reason to get a PCI card, however, should I come across the money for one, what would be your recommendations? I was looking at the Audigy 2 but is there anything else that is more highly recommended but around or sub $100?

Checkout CWOGroup's Logitech items on eBay. He's in Toronto, and I got a Logitech 2.1 system for $25, and I only paid $5 to pick it up, but I think it's 10-15 to ship.

Either way, awesome deal, and you can get silver or black, depending on which auction you grab.

kill4killin said:
I forgot to mention, I am also on onboard, but my motherboard supports 7 channel audio so for now I see no reason to get a PCI card, however, should I come across the money for one, what would be your recommendations? I was looking at the Audigy 2 but is there anything else that is more highly recommended but around or sub $100?

The reason for a sound card isn't to enable a new sound feature, like 7.1 output. Every mobo I've seen has that feature standard. The reason people buy soundcards is to [/i]improve[/i] existing sound features.

Before I got my sound card (an X-Fi XtremeMusic) I had trouble imagining what "good sound" sounded like and what I could be missing. When I was buying my speakers (Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia), a rep at BestBuy said, "You wouldn't play games on a computer without a video card, and neither should you listen to music without a sound card." I couldn't imagine the difference could be the that great.. and honestly, it isn't, because your eyes are much more sensitive than your ears... or rather, your ears are just used to shoddy treatment.

I am like you in that I am no audiophile, but I do appreciate quality sound. I got my speakers for about $125ish from BestBuy during a sale, and the soundcard is only $70 after MIR from NewEgg atm and I highly recommend it. With the settings all tweaked, it feels like someone else is in the room making extra noise, I'm still not used to the new level clarity and fidelity. I'm currently looking into a nice set of headphones for $100ish so I can get the volume cranked.. something I can't do very often since I live with the 'rents.

Sorry for the length of this post.. mostly just ranting about my new soundcard and how I like it. :)

Back