Looking for monitor for design/graphics

layzie

n00b
I am currently assisting my sister in selecting a monitor preferably in the range of 23"-26" for her computer. She's currently studying architecture and does a lot of designing on her computer.

I was wondering what would your suggestions be for a monitor that offers great picture/color quality and has high resolution? The budget would probably be <$450.

Thanks a lot and hope to hear your opinions. :)

For design I personally would look at an IPS monitor. they have a better picture than TN screens but the response rate isn't as high. That would matter for gaming, but for design you wouldn't notice at all. I found this listing, looks like you'd be looking more at 23 or 24 inches for that those at that price (IPS's are also more expensive).

I am currently assisting my sister in selecting a monitor preferably in the range of 23"-26" for her computer. She's currently studying architecture and does a lot of designing on her computer.

I was wondering what would your suggestions be for a monitor that offers great picture/color quality and has high resolution? The budget would probably be <$450.

Thanks a lot and hope to hear your opinions. :)

The HP LP2475w at or just under $ 500.00 (and at or below $ 400.00 for one or two special sales in the last few weeks at OnSale, today's OnSale price [it changes daily] is $ 442.11 "open box" stock ), and possibility the new Dell U2410 depending where the price comes in at US introduction would be your "best bet".

Just "saving" $ 50.00 - $ 75.00 here is not wise for "professional use", both IPS type displays above would help to reduce eye strain. Also a lot of TN displays will "bend" lines (like in AutoCAD) away from the center with a slight curvature, the linearity just can not be "trusted" for the planned usage.

Tim
:D

LP2065. 2209WA, LP2275w, EA231WMi and so on. Check the anandtech thread for more suggestions.

both IPS type displays above would help to reduce eye strain. Also a lot of TN displays will "bend" lines (like in AutoCAD) away from the center with a slight curvature, the linearity just can not be "trusted" for the planned usage.

Tim
:D

Now that is some strange shit to hear.

You can get a refurb NEC 2490 WUXi for a little over $500. It retails for around $1000, and is a fantastic 24" IPS display.

If she wants to go glossy, a refurb Apple LED 24" Cinema Display is $600, but she'll have to have a machine that can output mini DisplayPort (basically any of the newer unibody Macbooks or newer desktops).

Thanks for all your great input. I have some researching to do tonight on all those monitors you suggested.

Whoisthisreally - which thread in anandtech are you referring to?

Also Foodle, do you believe that the Apple 23" Cinema Display (Used) would be a good option, I think it would possible to get one at $400ish. She uses a macbook pro right now.

I'll also have to take a deeper look into the HP/NECs and the new Dell one coming out. I don't mind extending the budget a bit as it would be used long term. Any more suggestions/input are welcome, once again, thanks!

Just "saving" $ 50.00 - $ 75.00 here is not wise for "professional use", both IPS type displays above would help to reduce eye strain. Also a lot of TN displays will "bend" lines (like in AutoCAD) away from the center with a slight curvature, the linearity just can not be "trusted" for the planned usage.
I have never seen, or heard about, this problem. Geometric properties should be identical across all panel types.

Got a picture to show us what you mean?

23" ACD is also is good choice, as it used a top quality IPS panel. It's a little dated, but should still be very good.

I have been looking at all the monitors and what are your opinions for the LG Flatron L245WP? Thanks!

I also recently checked out the Dell U2410 and the NEC 231wmi, do you feel these two could fit the bill?

Last edited:
Back