Looking for new headphones, tested HD555's l like them but...........................

price range? intended use (home, portable, office, etc)? preferred music? willing to buy an amp or not?

$100-$300 for price range, music and gaming purposes, to be used with X-fi
portability would be nice for use with my PSP or Zen

tazzmissionx said:
$100-$300 for price range, music and gaming purposes, to be used with X-fi
portability would be nice for use with my PSP or Zen
That's quite a price range! :eek:

A900 is quite a nice closed can
Hell, with that kind of budget, get a pair of cans for the house and get some nice portables too :cool:

I've been using HD555's for months. The velvet pads are VERY comfortable, and it's not exactly a closed design due to the metal mesh. So, my ears never get too hot when listening for a long time.

spend 280 on house cans...... 20 on Koss KSC-75's for portables... enjoy :D

everyone says that A900 are THE definative cans for gaming seconded by beyerdynamic dt-770. Coming from the little bro A500 i'll tend to agree. A clan member has 595 for comparison and i like those too but i like them for music better than gaming. Personally ill prolly upgrade to the A900 myself and find a seperate can for music.

I'll put in a vote for the Ultrasone headphones. Look on Head-Fi for more info. I like the HFI-650 as an all-purpose geming / semiportable phone. I think the HFI-650 does better positioning than the default, peer-recommended phones here. Not to say either of those are bad phones, but the HFI-650 has 'boom' with control unlike the DT770, it has a midrange unlike either, and soundstaging is rather odd at first but you soon realise it gives you superior games positioning. It's based on the HD280 Pro design but it's smaller and you don't look as stupid when portable. It's fairly efficient and isolates enough to give you good results from even the gutless PSP headphone amp.

If your emphasis is more portable than home gaming, I'd say pick up the Sennheiser HD280 for home, and a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro in-earphones for portable use. That will be within your $300 budget if you shop around.

Lets not forget about the headband problems the Ultrasone's have. ;)

Sennheiser HD25-SP...

I would agree If you can get them for less then $70.
IMO They are a pretty decent value once you replace that hideous stock cable.

Back