Looking for sanity check on SFF

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
I'm tired of the massive Silverstone Raven case sitting next to my desk. It's in the way and really wastes a ton of space. I have put together a PC Hound list of items and since I haven't built anything in years I hope you can all give me a sanity check based on my thoughts below.

https://pchound.com/SNGJJw/

To the questions/intentions for this build.

1. What will you be doing with this PC?
This is my gaming PC. I want to run 2560x1440 at 120/144 Hz Gsync

2. Will you be overclocking?
Only to about 4.2/4.4 must be on air. OC isn't the biggest deal for me after 4.0 GHz

3. What's your budget?
Budget is 1500 in Amazon Cash Back rewards plus up to another 1000

4. Where do you live?
Tampa, FL - unfortunately Tiger Direct closed 4-5 months back

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
https://pchound.com/SNGJJw/

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
Reusing the Titan-X and Intel SSD's - I have an Antec HCP 1200 but its 4+ years old or so now and I figure I may as well get another. The seasonic I put in the PCHound seems to be pretty decent.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? USB-3, RAID, single PCI-E slot for the Titan-X

8. What resolution output do you need?
2560x1440 - single monitor PG278Q. I'm happy with a single 27 as I did the triple monitor thing when it came out and while it does have its moments it isn't worth the hassle and I am trying to stick to a single card.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive?
I do not need optical media in the case I have a slimline USB option if it become needed.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
While I am confident in my ability to do wiring I do not have the time - I want to get the parts assemble and be done with it that night.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem?
I really don't mind it spinning up while gaming but I want the thing to be dead silent the rest of the time.

12. How mobile does this system need to be?
Mobility is not required.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
I have (legal) access to all versions of Windows

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Before Christmas - I plan to pass down my existing system parts I do not reuse.

Your PSU is complete overkill for that system. A 450W unit would suffice.

With regard to the noise, consider dropping overclocking completely and getting a Nofan CR-95. Your Titan X will go in the second x16 slot.

Your PSU is complete overkill for that system. A 450W unit would suffice.

With regard to the noise, consider dropping overclocking completely and getting a Nofan CR-95. Your Titan X will go in the second x16 slot.

Good call on the CPU cooler, the V21 is a perfect match for it! As much as I dislike the size of that case...

The idea of having a completely overkill PSU is probably that it will be near silent 100% of the time, even under high loads. I'd probably opt for something less powerful, though, maybe 800W, to keep the efficiency up.

There are passive PSUs (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=481 for example) as well but those would require a different case because they need to exhaust passively at the top.
Those are absolutely silent, though, so the only thing spinning in idle would then be the GPU fan.

The PSU is overkill but I tend to lean towards to much vs to little. I am hoping it is near silent in general usage.

Back