Looking for some good 42"-46" displays

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
These displays will be used at a conference/expo, and will be showing off a new product our company is unveiling. The displays need to be economic, but we are willing to spend what is necessary. I've heard that the people on this board are worse than Macintosh zealots when it comes to defending their precious LCDs; how much truth is there, I dunno, but whatever the case is, please be open-minded here. We need 3 of them, and spending $3000 on each display because one technology is better than the other on paper is not an option. $1000 each seems to be the magic number my boss has in his head, but I'm sure I can convince him to spend a little more if need be. I'm partial to DLP because of the high contrast/brightness and low price, but I don't know how transportable DLP displays are. What do you suggest?

I'll go ahead and say that you're going to have a very hard time finding a worthwhile 42" lcd/plasma for just 1k let alone a 46". DLP's aren't really meant for things like you suggest...even though the form factor is much smaller than a normal projection tv you are still going to have more size/weight than a comparable lcd. Look at spending at least 2k on each 42" panel then you might get some suggestions..

I'll go ahead and say that you're going to have a very hard time finding a worthwhile 42" lcd/plasma for just 1k let alone a 46". DLP's aren't really meant for things like you suggest...even though the form factor is much smaller than a normal projection tv you are still going to have more size/weight than a comparable lcd. Look at spending at least 2k on each 42" panel then you might get some suggestions..

All right fine, let's say for now that I'm able to convince the boss to spend 1.5k-2k, with $2k being to absolute upper limit. What do you guys suggest?

I beg to differ about the price if you go the 42" LCD route. Are you hooking this up to a computer? DVD player? what is your video source?

For display purposes you probably dont really need 1080p, and something like the VIZIO GV42L would do fine (for around $1200). The GV42L accepts a VGA input at 1366 X 768.

If you are trying to put out an extremely sharp image, you could go with a lower end 1080p display, such as the Westinghouse 42" 1080p, which can be had for around $1300-1400 if you buy it online.

Sure, these displays aren't going to appease the HT video-phile , but for display purposes at a convention, they will definitely do the trick.

Also, Plasmas tend to have a glossy screen, which could be very distracting in a convention hall type setting, so I'd recommend going the LCD route.

Samsung LN-T4661F if you're going to spend around $3,000.

Check it out. The people over at the AVS Forums posted a lot of positive things about this monitor.

pc input often refers to vga input... but some tv comes with dvi/hdmi that you could use with computers at full pixel resolution on most 1080p panel (or 1360/6x768 res.)... get the cheapest LCD with 1080p... which seems to be the westing-house.

For what you are doing you should be looking at more of the industrial grade LCD's companies use at trade shows. these are mainly made by NEC and Samsung. They are both going to be way out of the price range you want though.

The NEC's are LCD4010-BK and LCD4610-BK.

You may even want to look into renting the displays if you dont need them for that long. That is what a lot of venodrs do for trade shows.

For what you are doing you should be looking at more of the industrial grade LCD's companies use at trade shows. these are mainly made by NEC and Samsung. They are both going to be way out of the price range you want though.

The NEC's are LCD4010-BK and LCD4610-BK.

You may even want to look into renting the displays if you dont need them for that long. That is what a lot of venodrs do for trade shows.

This is exactly what I meant (to the OP) about the 1k per panel limit...anything you get at that price probably won't give a favorable impression for a presentation. A sub 1k 1080p lcd may be fine if the bulk of your presentation will be based around a computer desktop and applications but for looping video and such you will probably be better served with a higher quality 720p panel.

Back