looking for that laptop

colore

Limp Gawd
hello!

is there a laptop/notebook/ultrabook with the below specs at around 500 USD?

- IPS panel of at least 15.6", but preferably 17.3"
- at least 6GB RAM
- SSD only (no other HDD) of at least 120GB
- dedicated graphics card of at least 1GB
- bluetooth, camera
- preferably light and thin

thanks!

SSD and at least 1GB Discrete graphics, light and thin, with an IPS panel, for <$500?

No, don't think so. Might want to rank those in order of which is more important. Consider getting one with a regular hard drive and upgrading it yourself to the SSD later when you have more cash. Would one of the A-series processors be good enough for your graphics needs? Etc. The 15.6"/17.3" size shouldn't be a problem, those are common, but IPS at your price range is rare AFAIK.

If it's for gaming perhaps have a look at this list for under 500 -- I can't vouch for anything on it but maybe a good starting point. Here's one for under 600.

Is this even for gaming though? Or do you want the discrete graphics for work or photos (you did want IPS too) or what? What kind of games and what FPS do you want?

Last edited:
The Vizio laptops are close to meeting your requirements for 7-800.

No, there are a few others out there that offer IPS...but they don't meet your other needs.

I could recommend EliteBooks or Precisions that are available in 15/17, have SSDs, have powerful dedicated GPUs, bluetooth, up to 32GB of RAM, up to 3 SSDs with swapping of optical drive....but they're not thin or light, and they're way WAY above your price range.

And there are IPS laptops that are thin & light, have bluetooth, camera, SSD, RAM, but no dedicated GPU, and are smaller than 15/17.

No, there are a few others out there that offer IPS...but they don't meet your other needs.

I could recommend EliteBooks or Precisions that are available in 15/17, have SSDs, have powerful dedicated GPUs, bluetooth, up to 32GB of RAM, up to 3 SSDs with swapping of optical drive....but they're not thin or light, and they're way WAY above your price range.

And there are IPS laptops that are thin & light, have bluetooth, camera, SSD, RAM, but no dedicated GPU, and are smaller than 15/17.

okay, since thin and light is essential for me, I could back off about the 17" and dedicated GPU, but they must be at least 15"

it must have more than 4GB RAM, and SSD only drive

any idea?

it may be cheaper for you to look for one with say 4gb ram and then upgrade yourself down the road.

okay, since thin and light is essential for me, I could back off about the 17" and dedicated GPU, but they must be at least 15"

it must have more than 4GB RAM, and SSD only drive

any idea?

No, nothing out there.

$500 is budget laptop money and you want the following premium features:
$$ Thin
$$ Light
$$ Dedicated graphics
$$$ SSD from the factory
$$ IPS display
$ Extra RAM from factory

Haunt the Sony Outlet for a while and you might find a Vaio S 15 with almost everything you want (except SSD) for ~$650. That's the closest you're going to get: 15.5" 1080p IPS, Ivy Bridge, GT 640m 1GB or 2GB, 4.4lbs, <1" thick.

If you throw in the towel on thin and light, check the Dell Outlet for an insprion 15R/17R Special Edition.

Pretty much what Kueller said -- you have a very tight budget and are looking for several premium features. Gonna have to either save up to at least $700-$800 or drop a few more things that you want.

Keep in mind that things like the SSD and RAM can be upgraded later, so if you buy something without those you can upgrade when you have the cash down the road. You said you were willing to do without the dedicated graphics.

That leaves us with IPS screen, 15"+, and Thin/Light. That might be doable, but most of the IPS versions I know of that aren't mentioned here (like the X230) don't fit your other criteria.

You might have to just look for a 15" thin/light laptop and read a bunch of reviews on the screen to make sure it will satisfy you, then count on upgrading the RAM/SSD at a later time.

The integrated graphics on the Ivy Bridge processors is pretty good by the way -- HD4000. It's what I'm using and it allows for basic gaming without too many problems. Just be sure you get the full-powered version of it, I think some of the CPUs have a crappier version or HD2000 or something?

Back