Looking to build a heatsink for an ATI AIW9800Pro

Biggles604

Weaksauce
I need to find a technical drawing showing all the locations of the RAM and necessary clearances for an ATI AIW9800Pro. I want to build a RAM heatsink out of billet aluminium, and want the thing to be as accurate as possible, so would rather find a drawing that rely on measurements.

not looking to knock your idea, but you will never be able to make something as accurate and as efficient as a factory machined heatsink. It might be a fun project, but as cheap as heatsinks are, why bother?

not to mention that aluminum is going to have a much lower melting point than the alloys used with factory parts.

2 counterpoints. Scrap metal is free for me and i love machining, so it's much better than spending money, plus I get a one of a kind item. I bought a VGA silencer, and had to polish and lap the surface because it was awful, probably at best a 3.2 surface finish.

Secondly, how would the melting point of metal ever be a factor? If my heatsink is melting, then I have bigger problems ;)

Biggles604 said:
2 counterpoints. Scrap metal is free for me and i love machining, so it's much better than spending money, plus I get a one of a kind item. I bought a VGA silencer, and had to polish and lap the surface because it was awful, probably at best a 3.2 surface finish.

Secondly, how would the melting point of metal ever be a factor? If my heatsink is melting, then I have bigger problems ;)

no, you're right. Just pointing out that Aluminum is a very soft metal, and while you might not see melting, you could very easily see warping.

Warping shouldn't be an issue at those temperatures. Look how many heat sinks are aluminium. All I am after is a little design challenge and a one off HS. I wanted the proper drawings to make sure the clearances are all good, but it's easy enough to measure.

Back