Looking to build a system, not sure what to get

jbailey

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build a new sff PC that I can have hooked up to my TV for gaming, video, and general use, but also have for portability. I've already got a main desktop (see my sig) that runs everything I want just fine, I'm just looking to build an extra machine for the TV and LAN party type stuff.

I used to have one of the older shuttles way back in the day, the SB51G, and ran a 9700 Pro off the dinky PSU and had no issues at all with that system. I've been looking at what Shuttle offers now, as well as reading many of the threads here about motherboards and cases people are really liking, but I'm not sure which one is quite right for me.

Here's what I want this computer to do and general specs I'm looking for:

- Needs to be able to play most PC games currently available, would like to go with something like a 9800GT level card, possibly higher
- Low heat output. Using my desktop in a bedroom with a 42" plasma really warms the room up, and living in TX with high humidity doesn't help.
- The footprint needs to be similar to that of a Shuttle, an extra inch either way is fine. Height isn't too much of an issue, but if it's nearing the height of a mid-tower, then that defeats the purpose.
- Would love to have on-board wireless, and of course, sound
- Video card needs to have HDMI out, as I would be using that for both audio and video output

The Shuttle (SG31G2) seems to be kind of popular, so I'm guessing if I were to end up with a shuttle, it'd be that one. One of my concerns about the Shuttle mentioned above is that it only has a 250w PSU. Is it even possible to upgrade the PSU to something that would run a decent video card?

I am very interested in actually putting a whole SFF PC together, though. A lot of the pics in the threads here look pretty awesome, but it looks like all of the cases everyone goes with are still pretty bulky, which is why I'm kind of leaning toward the Shuttle, assuming I can actually get a good video card in there.

I plan on using Vista Home Premium 64-bit with 4gb or more RAM. Any advice or links to a whole build on newegg would be greatly appreciated. Price isn't too much of an issue, but it'd be nice to spend $800 or less.

yeh the SG31G2 is a pretty good shuttle.
Ive seem it running 9800gt and 4850's of the 250w psu the thing is with this shuttle your gfx card must be single slot.

It's a fairly common build now, but i suggest

- Silverstone Sugo SG05B case
- Zotac 9300-ITX Mobo
- 45nm Core 2 Duo (or Quad)
- Cooler Master GeminII
- NVidia GeForce GTS250 (or the 9800gt you mentioned)
- Silverstone SOD01 DVD-RW (or TOB02 Blu-ray unit)
- A harddrive :p

If you want better cooling look for a high CFM low noise 12cm fan to replace the silversone front fan.

Thats about it.

Looking for the same as op above but with the ability to use a standard optical drive and a dual slot gpu.

It's a fairly common build now, but i suggest

- Silverstone Sugo SG05B case
- Zotac 9300-ITX Mobo
- 45nm Core 2 Duo (or Quad)
- Cooler Master GeminII
- NVidia GeForce GTS250 (or the 9800gt you mentioned)
- Silverstone SOD01 DVD-RW (or TOB02 Blu-ray unit)
- A harddrive :p

If you want better cooling look for a high CFM low noise 12cm fan to replace the silversone front fan.

Thats about it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So right now I'm looking at the E8400 and the Q9550. I'm looking at these as they run 1333 fsb. I'd like to go with a quad core, but not if it's going to require a lot of work in regards to the cooling of the system. I am going to run everything at stock speeds.

As far as memory goes, I was trying to find some low profile sticks on newegg but can't seem to find any at all. Can I get memory recommendations? So far I'm just looking at this cheap gskill set.

I've got a few more questions now:

1) Is heat going to be an issue with these CPU's?
2) Will the GemenII S fit as stock or will I need to replace the fan?
3) Any recommendations on a video card that will fit that has HDMI and supports audio through HDMI?
4) Stock PSU or...?

Last edited:
With an e8400 Ihave no heat issues with a different front fan, I use these on my builds http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-120mm-Silent-Value/dp/B000O8JZIG

The q9550 is a bit hotter though, not by much, even the q9550s which should be cooler is not by much according to this review http://www.silentpcreview.com/intel-q9550s, At stock speed should be fine.

As for memory, with the GeminII (fanless) you don't need low profile. You won't be able to fit dominators, but everything else fists.

Stock psu with the mentioned hardware.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back