Looking to buy a PC.

deeplove

Limp Gawd
I need some help. I'm looking to buy a PC but I have a budget between $599 - $799. Can anyone recommend a nice PC in that price range? I'm also going to be using a 24" Gateway on it. I'm mainly going to be using to go on the internet, some work and of course the occasional mp3s, movies and what not.

Is all the $ in the budget available for the computer or does that $ have to include monitor and cpu (and peripherals?)?

Nope. I have that amount to spend on the PC. $799 the most at the moment. The monitor will be bought also, but with some other money I have. So I'm looking to spend $799 at most for the PC only. Well, of course you can add the taxes.

A quick look showed Velocity Micro and AVA Direct (and Dell) all offer systems under $800.

Are those Velocity PC good? I've seen them at Best Buy. I was also looking at a Gateway system but I wanted to get opinions on what's out there. Also, which is better... AMD or Intel?

velocity micro is incredible. id say, the leader of the big 3 when it comes to top notch PC builders :)

but dont take my word for it... wait for Randy or Heather to come in here and prove why :p

deeplove

I'd definitely say go for the VM, worth every penny. And I'm disabled on a fixed income, so getting a "budget" machine like a dell/gateway/emachine would have made financial sense. But the VM, while costing a little more, makes more sense in terms of name brand parts (meaning more fixable and upgradeable)/build/service/support and no bloatware.

If you want an internet, mp3/movie computer, I wouldn't go with one of those boutique builders. Dell is pretty tough to beat...consider that you get vista with the deal below for example. A comp like this will be more than enough for what you want to do with it.

Dell Small Business has the Dell Dimension E521 Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ System for $399 w/ free shipping. Select No Monitor to substract $180. Thanks Dancancook.

Specs:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ edit
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic edit
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs edit
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
16X DVD ROM Drive edit
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU edit
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
1 Year On-site Economy Plan

If you want an internet, mp3/movie computer, I wouldn't go with one of those boutique builders. Dell is pretty tough to beat...consider that you get vista with the deal below for example. A comp like this will be more than enough for what you want to do with it.

Dell Small Business has the Dell Dimension E521 Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ System for $399 w/ free shipping. Select No Monitor to substract $180. Thanks Dancancook.

Specs:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ edit
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic edit
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs edit
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
16X DVD ROM Drive edit
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU edit
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
1 Year On-site Economy Plan

You have a good piont but when somthing goes wrong there going to be up creak without a paddle. with a builder like VM yes you pay more but you getter better non OEM stiped down parts, no bloat and someone who cares about your experince.

to the orginal poster unless you must have your computer right now I would save alittle money and save up for a build from someone like VM. Just becasue you can by somthing right now dosen't mean you should. Its not always a good idea to go with the cheapist price because you will regret it later. You need to be foward thinking here with dell theres not much of an updrade option you just get another computer, with VM a lifetime upgrade service witch can prolong your computers life. Aonther thing to think about is vista is power hungry and you don't want ot with windows vista basic as it is extremly cripppled comparred to say home premium.

I did go on the VM site and was pretty impressed with their products. I do believe that I'll be holding that money a bit more so I can save up some to get one.

Which version of Vista do you guys recommend?

Sorry for not getting back to you ealer sense I kinda made up your buget. anyway personally I would go with windows vista home premium beecasue thast what most consumers are getting and it has more foretures that winodws vista home basic witch is crippled and not worth it. For most people vista home premium is suffient.

Deeplove have a look at AVA DIRECT.They have great selection and best prices w/same great tech support.Give it a look then decide.I bet you get more for the money w/AVA over Velocity Micro.

Which version of Vista do you guys recommend?

With a low end machine like what you're looking at, I actually wouldn't recommend Vista at this point. If you're dead set on it, then go with Home Basic.

Back